Trick for adding landing pad to Yak Track ?

DavidGraves

Howdy

Somewhere I read a trick for adding new landing pads without needing to unbed the end of the track.

I am adding another et of Landing Pads and would prefer not to disturb the bedding sealant at the end.

Anyone remember where that trick was?

Thanks

DavidGraves

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Nope, but I'd like to know it too.
Saw it here on WTW in some string of Yakima threads but now I can find it......don't remember how arrived there.

More or less, someone had a clever alternate little threaded flat that would fit into the tracks and then turn 90 degrees in order to grip when the allen screw is tightened.

Hmmmm....

nikonron said:
Remove just 1 screw and take off the rail end cap, it's no problem. Ron
I'm always hesitant to break a seal and possibly create a leak. I think there's an opportunity for some creative genius to market a twist-lock anchor for a track system.

They are made, similiar to a unistrut nut, if your familiar with them. You could grind down two opposing corners and make one work I believe. Ron

That's exactly how the Thule TK1 "nuts" look like.

img_145785_1_4042182d58b0ae7b5d0a5a0526befb48.jpg

Alley-Kat said:
That's exactly how the Thule TK1 "nuts" look like.

img_145786_5_4042182d58b0ae7b5d0a5a0526befb48.jpg
Alley-Kat, thanks. I found your older post (#12) that indicates the TK 1 nuts do fit Yakima tracks. Rack attack has them for about $1.10 each. I think I will go that direction when the Bobcat is delivered.if I didn't have such a big inventory of Yakima mounts, I'd go with Thule. Yakima's round bars are irritating when they rotate as you load a boat or other piece of gear.

Alley-Kay, thanks. I found your older post that indicates the TK 1 nuts do fit Yakima tracks. Rack attack has them for about $1.10 each. I think I will go that direction when the Bobcat is delivered.if I didn't have such a big inventory of Yakima mounts, I'd go with Thule. Yakima's round bars are irritating when they rotate as you load a boat or other piece of gear.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/6852-installing-yakima-tracks/page-2 Post 12

Explain please. I have used Yakima racks with round cross bars for carrying sea kayaks for 25+ years and never had a bar rotate.

Kayak saddles [now use rollers] would rotate on bar if not really tightened down...but the bars are clamped in solid by the towers.

Thanks,

Phil

@Wandering Sagebrush - Based on my experience with the new FWC's, the tracks come loaded with extra Yakima stainless steel nuts installed in the tracks (2016 Hawk) so you can easily add more landing pads. I have at least 2 (maybe 4) extra nuts per track in addition to the 4 landing pads that were included with the purchase.

Trapper, my 2013 did not come with extras, or if they did, I could not find them. I think it's a great idea to have at least two more per side.

TrapperMike said:
@Wandering Sagebrush - Based on my experience with the new FWC's, the tracks come loaded with extra Yakima stainless steel nuts installed in the tracks (2016 Hawk) so you can easily add more landing pads. I have at least 2 (maybe 4) extra nuts per track in addition to the 4 landing pads that were included with the purchase.

Trapper, my 2013 did not come with extras, or if they did, I could not find them. I think it's a great idea to have at least two more per side.
Got extras on my 2013 tracks. I have used 4 nuts on each side holding solar panels. I would need to count to see what is left but still some up there.

Bill, I think you and Trapper must have received my share of the extra nuts for the landing pads. Out of curiosity and some self doubt, I went out and checked. Nada, zip, zilch... It's a good thing I don't buy lottery tickets, too.

If you can find a junkyard with any ford suv products their roof racks have trac hold down plates that work on yak tracks also the half round tie downs are neat as well as stop pieces I used those complete track systems on my hawk, seems more robust and cheap at a pick a part yard

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Back
Top Bottom