trip questions

caveman

I'm plaining to see the west, using a 2006ram 1500 4x4 I'm setting up. Any ideas on best set up and equimpment to take, best tires AT OR MT. Any idea where to get maps for trip from Mex to Canada, iwant to do this completely off road. Any comments or ideas would be helpful.

Welcome to WtW, Caveman.

Many of us use BFG ATs because we don't want rock puntures or cut sidewalls on unpaved roads. Get DeLorme Gazetteers for all the states you think you will be travelling through. DeLorme atlases show great geographic detail and most of the dirt roads that you might want, or not want, to drive on.

Caveman,

While I have most of the Rockies covered with DeLorme Atlases for CO, UT, WY, MT, and ID, I have gradually gone over to Benchmark Road and Recreation Atlases and I have come to prefer them to the DeLorme's. I carry both along on any trip, plus a compass, binoculars, and a GPS. I rely on the maps for "big picture" route planning, the binocs for checking out distant topo features to confirm location, and the GPS as a backup.

While I much prefer MT tires, the Western guys like Stew orient more towards cut resistance than mudder capability, and for good reason. Chopping up tires on sharp rocks has to get old, and fast.

Equipment/gear for a Wandering from Mexico to Canada? Wow, pretty much anything a guy can think of and fit into the truck, I'd guess. Just a few items off the top of my head would be: recovery gear, including a deadman anchor, tree-saver straps, a high-capacity come-along, snatch blocks, and both a short-handled and a long-handeled spade shovel; a 100% duty cycle air compressor; plugging kit with lotsa plugs and patches; radiator hoses and coolant; couple of fuel filters; perhaps a second spare tire if you've got room; big bow saw; long-handled axe; hatchet, splitting maul (to use as a sledgehammer and a firewood-splitter; small chain saw; fire extinguisher or two (of the type for extinguishing truck fuel/plastics, etc); first aid kit. I'm sure others could come up with many more ideas, just as they might suggest some of what I've listed is unnecessary.

And yes, welcome to WTW.

A few words about my own experiences with Western roads/trails: With the large exception of high mountain passes, the great majority of "off-road" travel you're likely to do will be on Forest Service roads, county roads, and BLM roads. Most will be graded gravel and while they get washboarded between gradings, they offer good driving. Since the US Forest Service and the BLM personnel generally drive fullsize 4WD pickups, most roads/trails which are of the major through-route character will accomodate your Ram.

Foy

Maybe add a couple cans of the tire inflation spray stuff.I carry a can ,who knows.
Have fun and welcome to the site.
Walked away from the computer,and had another thought.
This is only a suggestion.If you plan to be out west during the "snow" time especially California,I would suggest a set of tire chain/cables.Ca.has some strict rules about mountain snow driving. They put up chain control at the first hint of flakes and you need to carry chains even 4X4s or you could get some stiff tickets if you have a problem in a chain control area and don't have them.It's cheep insurance,who knows you might even need them
Just IMO.
Frank

Foy said:
Caveman,

While I have most of the Rockies covered with DeLorme Atlases for CO, UT, WY, MT, and ID, I have gradually gone over to Benchmark Road and Recreation Atlases and I have come to prefer them to the DeLorme's.
Yes -- Benchmark Atlases are better, IMHO, though they're not available for a lot of non-Western states. They're better at correctly representing road quality. Delorme Gazeteers sometimes show dirt roads as paved...and similar errors.

Another vote for Benchmark here too. I also like the nat geo maps where they have coverage. I also use GPS and the net/trip reports to log coordinates.

ETAV8R said:
Another vote for Benchmark here too. I also like the nat geo maps where they have coverage. I also use GPS and the net/trip reports to log coordinates.
Yes, sir, I really like the Nat Geo Trails Illustrated maps. Fortunately, a goodly collection of the TI maps cover the Appalachians, where there is, as Mark notes, no Benchmark coverage. The TIs are quite a bit spendy, but you get what you pay for.

Foy

Just saw this regarding Mexico maps, from: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=70820

We have just purchased the remaining inventory of the 2009 edition of the BAJA CALIFORNIA ALMANAC.

Holiday special price will be $30 US plus shipping available on our website http//:www.bajabooksandmaps.com until January 1st when the price will be $35 plus shipping. The Almanac will also be available at selected stores in Baja Sur and at Baja Books and Maps in San Jose del Cabo. Wholesale inquiries are welcome.

I have found that the best backcountry road maps and the most up to date are maps issued by National Forest Service, BLM, and State Forests available at the respective agency's offices or at Department of Fish and Game office (as in Washington). Also local hunting stores typically will have good local maps for hunters. The best part is they are almost always free. The bad part is that they are local and don't cover large areas. I typically use atlases (Delorme/Benchmark) to plan broad routes and when I get into an area I will pick up some local maps and alter my plan accordingly. One of my biggest pet peeves is seeing a road on a map but finding out it is closed or a ATV/Motorcycle trail.

I have been watching the website www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com slowly post new routes for a while. Granted it is intended for motorcycles but the majority of the routes are on dirt roads that full sized trucks could do. I am very familiar with the roads that the route through Washington takes and all I can say is that they have done their homework.

Granted most of my experience is from Washington, Oregon, with a little from Idaho California, but I believe most states would be similar. I haven't wandered very much out side of the NW for backcountry travel... yet.

Let me know if you need any local information about Washington (mainly central WA).

Back
Top Bottom