Trip to Union Lk. HWY 4 area

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie
Site Team
This was not a"camper" trip.We were at our cabin in Dorrington this week and went to Union Reservoir for some canoeing.
Last year when we had gone there we noticed some campground work being done.This time we checked it out and sure enough the NF people have improved the camping there.At the "west" end camp there are about 10 sites mostly level and lake views although the sites aren't next to the lake anymore. There isn't water or a fee but there are bathrooms,nice concrete ones.The lake is right there and this would be a nice place to canoe/kayak .Fishing is not to bad and a bigger lake Spicer is only 2 miles away,which is a huge lake and a lot of usage.There is a campground there but we haven't checked it out,not interested in camping or canoeing. Using a canoe there is in the wind isn't much fun..

The "east" end campground is also being improved with some drive in sites.This has been tent only for the lake shore has taken a lot of abuse over the years so the shore line has been closed to vehicle traffic.When the new sites are completed there will be 4 new ones that can be used for campers.

This lake has always been a special one for us.It's a fun paddle with wild live to watch.Lots of rock islands that can be camped on.The lake is about a mile or so long and 1/4 wide.Nice small intimate water.Also Utica lake is just below with a small campground,this is where the Slick rock road starts.

To get there you travel hwy.#4 to the Spicer lk. road,follow this about 6 miles to the turn off for Union/Utica lake.This is a gravel road to both lakes Union/Utica. The first "y" to the left is Utica which has campsites to the right is the way to Union.The "west" end entrance road is a left on a dirt road about 1/4 mile from the "Y".To get to the "east" end campsites don't turn but continue to the end of the road.It's well marked.

Weekends might see more usage but I think finding a spot wouldn't be a problem.You can always park at the end of the road as long as you don't block the road.

Hope this is of some interest,might be a fall rendezvous spot.
Frank

Attachments

• DSCN5001.jpg
    DSCN5001.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN5004.jpg
    DSCN5004.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCN5005.jpg
    DSCN5005.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN5006.jpg
    DSCN5006.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN5007.jpg
    DSCN5007.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN5008.jpg
    DSCN5008.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCN5011.jpg
    DSCN5011.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 97
One of my favorite places in the world. I have been going there for almost 50 years. I did like it a lot more before the new road was cut to Spicers. I have also watched the new camp grounds going in, need to get up and check them out. I normally camp by the bridge over Duck Creek on Slick Rock Road. Your Tundra can get you there as long as you don't get freaked out by the ROAD

Funny you mention it. I was just thinking its time to head back there. Only camped there once. It is a nice lake to paddle.

Back
Top Bottom