Truck Alignment

buckland

Site Team
I have been unable to find a specific bit of advice by searching threads. As I am suffering, what the tire shop calls scalloping of the tire due to alignment issues caused by having the camper on 6 months of the year and then off (but with a 600 pound cement block in for winter). I had the truck aligned without the camper but with the winter weight in back so that I thought would be the compromise but the tire wear indicates it ain't so. It's a shame as the scalloping causes tire noise when the truck gets up over 45 mph and it drives me nuts... wah wah wah wah wah ......

So my question is is it better to align with the camper in or when it is not.
I am about to put the camper on for the summer (going on a long trip) and thought I'd just get new tires and do alignment before going (tires are getting near 40K).

(I got a feeling folks will say do alignments twice a year?)

I keep my camper loaded for about 4 to 6 months a year I do alignment without camper in. However, I have a completely custom suspension with a considerable rake when unloaded. Once the camper is in I'm perfectly level. Rotating tires I use cross pattern without the spare. It helps keep the wear more even...I have experienced what you have but with mud tires with more all terrain tires I haven't had the same issue. I use General Grabber 3x and A/TX tires the A/TX are the less aggressive and wear better.
I also have my own alignment plates where I check how bad I am after adventures...I usually only professionally align when I put new tires on....

I should have mentioned too I have a Boise Spring Works rear leaf pack as well as Bilstein 5100 RHA shocks that raised the front 2” so after camper is in it is level. Without camper there is a 1” rake. I have Cooper AT3 E rated tires.

I have a Fleet on a 2008 Tacoma TRD Offroad crew cab 4x4. Also had Boise Spring Works install progressive leaf springs for a total of 5. I got Cooper AT3 E range installed day before camper was installed. They now have 30k miles with perfectly even tread wear and about halfway thru the tread. I had it aligned immediately after BSW installed the camper and springs. 5k miles ago I replaced original Bilsteins with same OEM shocks [4300?] because I liked the ride and did not want anything stiffer and did not re-align the truck. Camper is on full time and camp about 8 months per year. First 15K on the tires the pressure was 42 front, 38 rear. I recently increased to 44/40 and may try a bit higher.

Hope this helps and let us know how this plays out.

Thanks for your info/background. Having the truck with camper on all the time or not I think the alignment would be fine. It is the going back and forth with a much different load...hence a different alignment that seems to be the culprit. I guess I should align it with the camper on and the new tires and when I take it off and put the lighter cement block in for winter I should have it aligned again.

I think I'd use amount of mileage to decide... 6 months camper on and 6 months camper off, but which period accumulates the most miles ?

I like to think pick ups are designed for varying loaded weights. Usually the rear ride height changes more than the front. Does your truck front height change much camper on vs off ?

For sure I'd align after new tires and tire balance, and I'd check the front shocks are still good.

Yours is a Colorado? Different trucks will have different suspension set ups and that may change the answer. Is the cupping only on the front, the rear or both?

I had Coopers on a truck without a camper and had a terrible time with cupping. It was not a weight issue, but a tire issue. That being said I'll chime in when I'm more sure about your truck.

Good point on mileage. Definitely with camper more. My workshop is here at the house and so my commute is 150 feet. My truck would only get a few hundred a month...maybe 600. The front shocks have about 30,000 (Bilstein 5100).
Seems to me I'm leaning to have it down with camper on?

Just saw the next post so will edit reply here:

The cupping was on both ends though I say that after I had rotated so not sure it it was the result of sending the cup to the rear.

Huh never heard of a factory welded alignment. I decided after talking to the Alignment shop that with my modifications to the leaf pack and shocks.... and as I do more mileage on the truck with weight than without in the 6/6 month swap... he suggested doing the alignment with the camper on (with the new tires) ... that added weight stressing etc... so at this point that is the plan.
Appreciate the input from all contributors ... I will have the camper on in two weeks and then immediately new tires and alignment. Five days therefater off on a 4000 trip. Hope it all shakes out! will let you know.

Hmmm....wouldn't the issue with the alignment being so different be more attributable to having a load (camper) that is at or exceeds the weights and balances of the truck suspension recommendations in the VIN tag?

Maybe a visit to the Dodge dealer Service Manager with the camper loader AFTER you got it weighed Front axle, Rear axle and Both weights printed out would be helpful?

Absolutely the weight plays into this. I have done scale weights before and after camper on and checked that the "overload" overall is not as bad as the Taco I used to have this camper on. The rear is definitely over by a few hundred when it is fulled loaded for a trip.
(BTW this isn't a Chrysler product... this is a Chevy diesel.) I think that I have a bunch of variables with the suspension mods, over weight a bit, and not having done a re-alignment after the leaf pack was put in. (duh). My Taco put on 100K with the camper on and same tires... it was definitely over the weight limit.

I bought the new replacement AT3 tires today and the road noise vanished. The camper goes on next week and then the alignment.
New tires are fun... what grip!

This is my third set over 15 years. It is a great tire that I misused by not doing an alignment when needed. I don't blame the tire.

Every 7000 miles. (except on our 12000 mile AK round trip). I have the alignment on Monday 7/8. New At3. Camper on tires at 50 front 60 Rear. At present without loading for trip the truck is 1 1/2" higher in back. If after loading for trip it is not level I might consider getting some Ride Rites bags for the back to level. Our AK trip Truck was level. I am convinced it was the alignment but we will see... (I believe in scientific proof)

Scalloping sounds like shocks or maybe ball joints or bushings to me. Something is oscillating. If you decide to go the alignment 2x/yr route maybe try Firestone. The one I go to in KC sells a 'lifetime' alignment for twice the normal price, so $149.00 and you go back whenever you want as long as you have the truck. At mine you kind of have to get a feel for when they are less busy so less wait too.

You hit the nail on the head. I went in for alignment and he said a ball joint was loose. So tomorrow I have that replaced along with the attached control arm $$$$ them an alignment. Life is expensive!

Just returned from a trip needed a upper ball joint,alignment,balance the day before I left Didn’t help gas mileage but felt I was riding on a cloud! The money was worth it

Back
Top Bottom