Truck, Camper, Equipment Trip Report

Dandil

After 6,400 camping miles...This report is an over all report on my first extended trip with comments and thoughts on my truck, camper and equipment that relates to several different topics and posts from this forum; do I have the right truck, camper, tires, solar panel and the list goes on. I have a 2011 Nissan Frontier short box with a Four Wheel Camper Fleet. A concern was he shorter wheel base with the Fleet. Not a problem. I have the tail gate down with safety supports. I added an additional leaf to the rear leaf springs, also air bag levelers, 10 ply Bridgestone Ko2 tires (one size taller than stock), 2" lift in front. Drives just fine on the highway and on the back country trails. After a month long 6,400 mile trip I had no "bucking" that some trucks get on certain roads. Loaded the truck carried the weight of the camper and gear with the right amount of support ad stiffness needed for off road driving. After this trip I am giving up on trying to strike a balance of Camper "On" and Camper "Off" suspension. I and going all the way and setting up for camper "On" suspension and I am going to go with heavy duty shocks when the stock ones need replacing. I think the rest on the truck's suspension will appreciate the upgrade.

Lift assist shocks used to help while lifting the roof need to be upgraded for more assist. On the roof I carried two pairs of Traction Matts, two high back lawn chairs and 50 pounds of dog food. Not a lot of weight but enough to make a noticeable difference. Not interested in any kind of jacks that some use to help lift heavy roofs...I want to make the task of set up easier and faster not more complicated.

Solar panels? I used the camper last summer and never ran out of camper battery power and camped for 4 days without a charge. I thought, I didn't need a solar panel. However, if you are spending days on end in hot weather you will run your batteries down because the frig will run a lot more. After about 6 days of continual use with the only charge from driving a little each day and the batteries died. I live in northern MI and being in a cooler climate with lots of shade I didn't need one. On this last trip I was in the desert and always in the sun. The next solar question was fixed or portable? I thought portable of course, but on this last trip I really wasn't parked long enough for a portable to be setup and utilized effectively. I and going to look into a portable that I can mount on the roof and that can be moved to the ground when parking in the shade and to get best angle for efficiency.

Where to camp? I wanted beautiful backcountry, off the grid camp spots, every day...its not going to happen. After a 6,400 miles, I realize some overnight spots are picked for convenience. I need to charge batters, refill water tanks, take shower, do laundry or empty the toilet...basically regroup for the next 5 days of cool places.

Do I need a second source for cooking outside the camper? Maybe an additional two burner gas stove? Maybe a small BBQ? Don't need it. For grilling I used heavy duty tin foil on the ground under a small grill that folds up flat for traveling. In the morning rollup the tin foil and ashes and pack it out as required in many national parks. Works great.

Setup and take down has to be easier and quicker. After a month, my wife and I have a good system but we need to tweak it a bit more. Because I have a Pop-up I need to find places for things so they don't need to be rearranged or pack-up when the top is popped up or down when moving to different locations or we want to leave camp for the day for some reason.

In my younger days I backpacked and I like things simple and I don't like lugging around stuff I don't need or use. On this trip we started in the Florida Panhandle and went along the Gulf shore thru to South Padre Island TX, then around to Big Bend NP in southwest TX...then back to MI. The only other thing I can think of is, I will mount some water cans so we can take more showers.

Sounds like you had a great shake down trip.
These campers are great but do have limitations.
If you are willing to work through them and the camper gets you
places you enjoy then that's what is important.

Some things to keep in mind.As for what to bring along
especially with limited storage just bring what you can't get out on the road.
After many years/miles of our trips we have found that you can just get about
anything you might need anyplace you travel.

Keep enjoying your camper.Your rig sounds like it's right for you.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:

Frank
The problem is not carrying camper you can beef things up. The problem is stopping when you need to.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:

Frank
I just had a personal experience with that. Had to lockup the brakes after someone locked them in front of me on a passing Lane. Had I been overweight , I wouldn't of been able to stop. I almost didn't. I had no where to go.

Hey new guy, we did find that out, especially food, your tendency is to have food packed away so you don't run out, but you always have something packed away to throw together a meal until the next grocery show comes your way. We only bought food that would fit the frig and storage space we had...no extra stuff to worry about finding a place for.

I prefer Frank or Casa to "new guy".
That's the handle the admin team gave me when they
made me a member of the "admin team".
Sounds like you have it down whit your camper needs.
Have a great time out there.
Frank

Dandil said:
After 6,400 camping miles...

I want to make the task of set up easier and faster not more complicated.
. . . I and going to look into a portable that I can mount on the roof and that can be moved to the ground when parking in the shade and to get best angle for efficiency.

That sounds like a complicated PIA. I'd think about a fixed roof panel and a portable unit you can put out when needed.

Where to camp? I wanted beautiful backcountry, off the grid camp spots, every day...its not going to happen. After a 6,400 miles, I realize some overnight spots are picked for convenience. I need to charge batters, refill water tanks, take shower, do laundry or empty the toilet...basically regroup for the next 5 days of cool places.

When planning my route I have campsites picked out for traveling to and from the Mountain West (from Minnesota) and map for periodic shopping and camping when I need to restock (I'm usually out for 8 - 12 weeks in the fall).

Do I need a second source for cooking outside the camper? Maybe an additional two burner gas stove? Maybe a small BBQ? Don't need it. For grilling I used heavy duty tin foil on the ground under a small grill that folds up flat for traveling. In the morning rollup the tin foil and ashes and pack it out as required in many national parks. Works great.

Be aware that you will not be able to use charcoal out West during burning bans. I use my backpacking stove (a 'Pocket Rocket') under a folding grill to cook outside (which is most of the time). I have a small propane grill but don't take it any longer because I don't grill much.

dcsparky said:
The problem is not carrying camper you can beef things up. The problem is stopping when you need to.
+1 on brakes being very important when at or over GVWR; the 3 second rule is the minimum distance you should be keeping between you and the driver ahead. And make use of truck pullouts on steep declines.

jim

Thanks for the insight. We just received our Hawk a month or so ago and have only had the chance to be out once so far (in the deep snow too of course). Our previous rig was an Xterra with a rooftop tent, so we got pretty good at minimizing the stuff we take along and perfecting our set-up and takedown. We also come from the world of motorcycle touring, so I am very familiar with keeping things ultra simple and packing the least possible stuff required for a trip. (Especially clothing).

We are slowly working out our plans for packing ,organizing and stowing stuff, and set-up and break-down of camp. I decided to purchase a skottle for our primary outdoor cooking surface. We live in BC, so the majority of our summer camping is done in a fireban...so no open fires to cook on possible. The skottle (while seeming to be extremely trendy) is a brilliant piece of kit. It packs up nice and small, we've used it to cook everything from steak, hotdogs, and eggs/hashbrowns/bacon on our maiden trip.
With advice from our Canadian dealer I went with the 3-way fridge, as we don't /won't always have access to direct sunlight to charge up the batteries for a 12V fridge. I opted in for the 160 watt roof mounted solar with a single battery, and I have 2 separate 75 watt portable solar panels I can bring along if need be. I'll also be watching our power consumption and may add a second battery is required.

Back
Top Bottom