Truck Fridge Portable Fridge

Boy the stars must be in alinement for you.Now just find a deal on some solar.
I have had mine running since 5pm friday at 39*,it holds from 39-41 in the large compartment and about 48 in the small one.My 45w panel has been charging the camper battery and even at times adds some to the truck battery.Here on the coast we have fog half the day.I have kept the battery protector at the high range 11.9v cut out.The fridge hasn't cut out yet.When it does it will show E1 in the temp display so you can tell when it has cut out.
Frank

Alright guys! Great info here. You have me thinking pretty darn hard about the TF65 now as my old Dometic RM2193 is a hunk of junk! :oops:

What is the main reason you guys get the portable models like engle, arb, edgestar, etc.? Just because it is portable? Are they more efficient? Am I missing something? I like that fact the the TF65 has a little freezer. Nothing like a little Jack & coke while watching the sunset in the middle of nowhere. :D

Im planning on replacing the old fridge that is there right now. This one look promising. I just added an Isolator and 2nd battery. Just need the solar panel now!

What is the main reason you guys get the portable models like engle, arb, edgestar, etc.? Just because it is portable? Are they more efficient? Am I missing something? I like that fact the the TF65 has a little freezer.

Im planning on replacing the old fridge that is there right now.

Some of us do get regular, vertical, DC fridges. I got one for the same reason I have a vertical fridge in my home: access to its contents is easier, more convenient than with a chest-type fridge.
People say that chest-type fridges/freezers are more efficient because the cold air doesn't fall out when they're opened...which is probably technically true. However, I don't think it makes much difference in practice: the thermal mass of the air that "falls out" of a vertical fridge is very small compared to the thermal mass of the contents -- the room air doesn't have much heat, not many btus, that'll need to be removed: air doesn't weigh much.
For me, the convenience gained by a vertical fridge is well worth the small hit in efficiency...and it fits perfectly in place of the OEM 3-way fridge.

I went with the Truck Fridge to replace the Igloo Thermo 12v cooler. We still have the 3way in the camper.May be a little over kill with two cooling sources but that's the way we do things.If my 3way dies I would think about getting the vertical unit from Truck Fridge to fit the 3ways space.
So far the portable unit has worked fine I have been testing to see how much battery it uses on and off solar.I ran it for a week @37* and the 45w solar kept up and than some.At one point it even was charging the truck battery.Now I have turned off the solar and it has been 3 days and the battery is still in the fair area.The Truck Fridge has a battery protection switch I have it set on high 11.9 v cut off.It will shut the cooler off when the battery drops below 11.9v.I want to see how many days that is.I'll post more as the info comes down.
Frank

Some of us do get regular, vertical, DC fridges. I got one for the same reason I have a vertical fridge in my home: access to its contents is easier, more convenient than with a chest-type fridge.People say that chest-type fridges/freezers are more efficient because the cold air doesn't fall out when they're opened...which is probably technically true. However, I don't think it makes much difference in practice: the thermal mass of the air that "falls out" of a vertical fridge is very small compared to the thermal mass of the contents -- the room air doesn't have much heat, not many btus, that'll need to be removed: air doesn't weigh much.For me, the convenience gained by a vertical fridge is well worth the small hit in efficiency...and it fits perfectly in place of the OEM 3-way fridge.

Marc, thank you for the explanation. I figured that it was something along that line. I like the vertical fridge for the exact reason you talk about. Which one did you go with again?

I went with the Truck Fridge to replace the Igloo Thermo 12v cooler. We still have the 3way in the camper.May be a little over kill with two cooling sources but that's the way we do things.If my 3way dies I would think about getting the vertical unit from Truck Fridge to fit the 3ways space.So far the portable unit has worked fine I have been testing to see how much battery it uses on and off solar.I ran it for a week @37* and the 45w solar kept up and than some.At one point it even was charging the truck battery.Now I have turned off the solar and it has been 3 days and the battery is still in the fair area.The Truck Fridge has a battery protection switch I have it set on high 11.9 v cut off.It will shut the cooler off when the battery drops below 11.9v.I want to see how many days that is.I'll post more as the info comes down.Frank

Great Info Frank! 2 Fridges would be pretty nice! Sounds like your solar panel will work great!

Im going to get my old one out of the camper and see if I can make the TF130 work. Extra fridge space would be great! Its going to be really tight though being 8" taller.

Marc, thank you for the explanation. I figured that it was something along that line. I like the vertical fridge for the exact reason you talk about. Which one did you go with again?

I got an Isotherm 130. Here's a post where I described it:
Indel Isotherm Cruise 130

Here's a post where I described the (re)installation of the fridge:
Isotherm 130 Installation

If you're interested in nerdy heat/cold facts, here's where I posted numbers comparing "heat capacity" of air and solids...shows why the fridge retains cold better when it's full:
Heat Capacity

- Mark

I believe Ted went with an isotherm 65 liter standard style 12V compressor fridge. Others have done similarly just for the service/convenience of this type of fridge lay out. Also, it can fit into a fridge cutout in the cabinet if you are replacing a fridge. I believe the truckfridge 65 liter fridge is a rebadged refrigerator of another manufacture at a significant savings.

I figure 4 days on the battery alone,would be about the limit to keep the battery in the fair range.I have an Interstate DCM 0075 sealed battery.It's the one installed with the camper.I think it has 75 amp hours of usage.Not being an expert here,I am just flying by the seat of my pants.There is still sufficient power left to run the heater.That was the one concern I had.So now if need be I could run the fridge without solar backup for about 4 days.It seems like I may be "over thinking" this but I want to know the limits so I know what I have to work with.
This all has to do with getting on a long ferry trip to Alaska where the fridge needs to run for about 4 days without any battery charge.
I also have the option of freezing some bottles of water to place in the 3 way to keep its temp down for that same ferry trip.
My truck Fridge is kept in the seat area of the access cab of my Tundra.We like it being handy while on the road and out of the camper where room is precious.
The fridge seems to not make any noticeable noise so it's not a problem in the cab.
Frank

Our fridge arrived on Saturday, delivered by Fedex. We found it sitting by our front door Sunday evening when we got home. Yes, we like our neighborhood.

As we've been occupied with other things, we plugged it into AC and it's been running in the corner. It is quiet and it holds a temperature - in the main compartment - real close to the set temperature. As Frank says, the smaller compartment above the compressor is 8° warmer.

As a backpacker, I've been irritated at manufacturer's volume/capacity claims for decades. I don't believe until I see it.

Trying to accurately figure out the volume of these boxes has been difficult relying on literature. For the TF41 the truckfridge website gives a gross capacity of 1.5 cubic feet and 2 cubic feet for the 51. The equipt1 website only gives the dimensions of the main compartment.

Here is how I approached this. Our need was based on what we have been using, our old stainless steel coleman box with two frozen 1 gallon water bottles for ice. Calculating useable volume (minus the bottles) I got 2400 cubic inches.

The TF51 we received has a main compartment 10.25" x 12.5" x 17" and a smaller (warmer) compartment of 4.75" x 10.5" x 10.5". This works out to a total volume of 2702 cubic inches.

The TF41 is the same dimensions except for 3" shorter in height. From this I would infer that the main compartment is 10.25" x 12.5" x 14" and the smaller compartment 4.75" x 10.5" x 7.5". This works out to a total capacity of 2168 cubic inches.

I am pleased that I went with the TF51 for volume to match our needs.

gallery_1902_401_71094.jpg

gallery_1902_401_56226.jpg

gallery_1902_401_56035.jpg

gallery_1902_401_34951.jpg

gallery_1902_401_21489.jpg

gallery_1902_401_29938.jpg

Ski sounds like you are satisfied with the cooler.I have played with mine for 2 weeks now and have an idea what it will do for us.
The capacity is more than I had in the Igloo 12v Thermo cooler when we had to use frozen bottles.Actually both units have the same 40ish liter space,but now I can tale advantage of the whole space.
I made some handles that don't get in the way as this cooled is a bit to manage without them.
Also bent some aluminum sheet metal to try and conduct some cold to the small compartment,seems to help by a few lower degrees.Not a game changer though.The small compartment is good for salads,fruits and things that the colder area will harm.
Would have gone with the TF51 but the lid would not have opened all the way,as I keep it in the truck cab.
I am anxious to get on our trip,Yellowstone and east,around the 10th of Sept.to give it the real test.
I see from the photos you are using the fridge on the MAX cool position.I ran mine on the ECNO position,high battery protection for the testing I did
Frank

Attachments

• DSCN4426.jpg
    DSCN4426.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCN4428.jpg
    DSCN4428.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 164
Frank, I was running it on max for the initial cool down plugged into AC. On 12V I expect to run on Eco and the battery shut off setting on high.

Yeah, I would say I am pleased. We are looking forward to getting it in the camper and using it in the real world.

I was happy to find a unit in a length I could work with (Engel & ARB were both too long) and to have it a few hundred dollars cheaper was a plus. We will find out if, long term, this was a good choice.

Frank, have a great trip!

Guys great info! Thanks!

Ski, I like the size of the TF51. I think you made a good choice. Im camping this weekend but will be tearing the old one out next weekend and will be able to investigate my options better.

That TF130 is pricey but sure would be nice! :D haha We'll see if I can fit it.

Boy the stars must be in alinement for you.Now just find a deal on some solar.

The reduced cost panels are still out there (not as low as the fall but not bad), don't concern yourself with warranties these days since companies are going belly up left/right but we're talking about small investments here verse whole house systems and such. Anyways:

100watt for $145
40watt for $58
80watt for $116
etc.

Also if you're interested in the thin film adhesive unisolar ones those are drastically reduced:
68watt for $99

Just looked at that thin film panel. Very nice but for one slight problem, its 9' long.

Our roofs are longer than that. ;) If you don't have a roof rack it'd probably work quite nicely.

If I had a metal roof on the camper I'm building I think I'd ditch the 100watt panel I bought and slap two of these down (low profile and no mounting protrusions). As it is I'm concerned about the temperature the panel might get on the composite surface mine will be and softening the materials.

Anyways the other traditional styles are there for reasonable pricing as well.

Just looked at that thin film panel. Very nice but for one slight problem, its 9' long.

Had the thin film for a while now and have no issues with it keeping up with my ARB fridge full-time. Sometimes even partially shaded by my Yakima cargo basket and/or canoe on top. Never seem to see the battery below 12.8V anymore. Fit is just fine on my shorter Finch. You can see the fit on my build page: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/52153-New-FWC-Finch-Shell-Build-(2008-Tacoma)/page2

-joe D.

Back
Top Bottom