Truck longevity data (this should start some conversation)

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Benamin Disraeli as quoted by Mark Twain or maybe someone else entirely

For example, the statistics in the above link are the percent of all vehicles with more than 200k miles. Because the Ford pickup has been the best selling vehicle model for the past several decades, you would expect that there would be a good representation of the Ford pickup.

More important percentage is missing. That is the percent of vehicles of a particular brand/model that made it past 200k miles. The percent in the table may be more representative of initial sales.rather than brand/model longevity.

Just sayin' YMMV :p
Paul

I believe if you read the methodology at the bottom of the article you will see that the % reported is percent of vehicles of that model.

The vehicles analyzed for this study were 30 million used cars listed on iSeeCars.com during Jan. 1, 2013 through Dec. 31, 2013, with model years from 1981 to 2010, and those with more than 200,000 miles on the odometer. For each vehicle model, the number of 200,000-mile cars was calculated as a percentage of the total number of vehicles listed for the model. That number was then used to rank each model.

I agree that trucks in general are kept on the road longer just because of their utility where a car needing the same work might be junked. I will try to find a similar study I read years ago comparing license registration mileage and came up with similar results. After spending my career in medical engineering RD I agree statistics need to be scrutinized very thoroughly. A nice way of rephrasing the Mark Twain quote.

Cooter said:
The vehicles analyzed for this study were 30 million used cars listed on iSeeCars.com during Jan. 1, 2013 through Dec. 31, 2013, with model years from 1981 to 2010, and those with more than 200,000 miles on the odometer. For each vehicle model, the number of 200,000-mile cars was calculated as a percentage of the total number of vehicles listed for the model. That number was then used to rank each model.
Right you are. Three little words that I skipped right over when scanning the linked article. Of course, having been in the software engineering business, we usually added a fourth type of lie: "computer benchmarks". :)

Paul

My 2001 F-150 gave me 10+ years and 320,000 miles. Nothing major, just became time to get something bigger before I ordered my Grandby. Sure hope I don't see the red beast in ISIS hands:)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

longhorn1 said:
My 2001 F-150 gave me 10+ years and 320,000 miles. Nothing major, just became time to get something bigger before I ordered my Grandby. Sure hope I don't see the red beast in ISIS hands:)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app
I drive a 2015 F150 hope to get that kind of service. You don't want leave your business logo and phone number on the door like that plumber did, I think they had a 20mm mounted on his F150.

I drove my venerable F350 SRW diesel to the Blue Ridge yesterday afternoon, towing a 6 x 12' trailer with a half cord of green and wet red oak firewood (about 2,400 lbs according to the Interwebs). She turned 259,000 miles along the way. She's an '02, bought used in '04, is paid for, runs like a (loud) sewing machine, gets decent mileage, and does everything I ask of her very well. Reckon I'll keep her a while longer.

I'm still driving my 1993 Dodge Diesel W250 Club Cab Long Bed bought used with 125,000 miles on it in 1999.

It is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. In the end I believe will wind up wearing out and replacing everything around the body, frame, transfer case, front differential and the Cummings Diesel. ;-)

ckent323 said:
I'm still driving my 1993 Dodge Diesel W250 Club Cab Long Bed bought used with 125,000 miles on it in 1999.

It is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. In the end I believe will wind up wearing out and replacing everything around the body, frame, transfer case, front differential and the Cummings Diesel. ;-)
That reminds me of the story about the old woodsman and his favorite axe. Twelve new handles and four new heads, but he wouldn't trade it for any reason ;) ...

When it comes down to it all the companies today make good vehicles. You get people who swear by Ford, GMC, Dodge, Toyota and others that swear at them. Each have there own strengths and weaknesses, but overall they are all good. I think it comes more down to personal preference and how you treat and maintain them. When it came time for me to make a personal truck purchase, I went with what felt comfortable and drivable (GMC Sierra). I think Fords are tougher, but not as nice for city driving. I wasn't comfortable in a Dodge. I really hate how the hump between the driver and the passenger pushes my foot towards the drivers side. To me this is how good most new trucks are. You are probably going to make your choice on minor, not major things. Actually one of the trucks I really liked was the Nissan Titan but the price was too high. I never hear people on this forum mentioning Nissan. We are starting to see a few more of them in the Alberta oilfield. Usually they are individual vs. fleet purchases.

BTW as far as the longevity data goes, it looks like a pretty lame. We can easily put 200,000 miles on a truck in 2-3 years in the Alberta Oilfield. The trucks with the highest mileage are 3/4 tons that typically see a lot of highway and long stretches of gravel.

+ 1 on the Nissan Titan. They are sadly under-rated. But i am surprised you found it too expensive. They are almost always thousands less than comparable Toyota or big 3. I got my 2008 Pro-4x loaded with everything with 79k miles on it for $17k. Very very reasonable. In fact, the Nissan Frontier is more expensive and the Tacoma is outrageously so.

Bill D said:
Actually one of the trucks I really liked was the Nissan Titan but the price was too high. I never hear people on this forum mentioning Nissan. We are starting to see a few more of them in the Alberta oilfield. Usually they are individual vs. fleet purchases.

Back
Top Bottom