Truck Recc for Hawk

SDJeff

Hello,
I just became the proud owner of a 2006 Hawk. The problem is, I don't have a truck yet. It seems like my truck options (like much in life) present tradeoffs between things including power and size etc. The truck will probably have the camper on full time. I like to be on 4WD roads a lot, going to remote places (like Baja and Canyonlands) though I am not a rock crawler type. I am also hoping to take a kayak or two on some trips, which I figure would increase weight about 100 lbs. I am ok with upgrading the suspension if that is what is needed. On one hand, I would probably like an old style Tundra ('06), or other half ton truck, but am concerned that it might be a bit underpowered and/or not a beefy enough suspension for that amount of weight (even with airbags and maybe a sway bar). The newer Tundras, 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks seem really large, especially for going on 4WD roads, but they have more power and better stock suspension. My preference would probably be the smaller 1/2 ton truck, but only if it is sufficient in terms of power and load management, etc. Any thoughts and/or recommendations from this learned group re truck types and/or suspension upgrades to go with it? Thank you.

Well, probably depends on your budget as well.
I have my Hawk shell on a 1/2 ton dodge. I am right at about the weight limit. I did the supersprings, and this helped the ride, but you can only carry so much weight. If your budget allows, I would consider the 3/4 ton as you will have already better suspension and brakes. I'd like to carry kayaks, boats, maybe even a small motorbike.....but really am limited in weight carrying capacity. Start carrying water, gas, food and the weight starts to add up. Take a few xtra people and just like that you are running heavy. I started with the truck, got a camper shell, then the FWC shell.

If I had to do it over, I would start with 3/4 ton. My next truck, as I dream away.

Good luck. And get out there. That is what it is all about anyhow.

Welcome and post some pics!

Dave in Seattle

my 2 cents, 3/4 ton. between 1/2 and 3/4 the price may work out to be the same, after adding the bells and whistles to the 1/2t. ..........................

I had my Hawk on an F150. It worked OK. I had the small V8, the 4.6L, and I got right around 12.5 mpg everywhere with the camper on. Trouble was, I wanted to pull my woodworking trailer...

Back when gas shot up, the price of HD pickups plummeted. I swapped out my '98 F150 w/ 160,000 miles for a F250 w/ 60,000 (IIRC, the price differential was ~$11k out the door.) I get about 12.5 on trips, and as low as 9.5 pulling the trailer 'round town. When I step on the brakes, it stops! I have a crew cab instead of a cab-and-a-half. I have a better transmission. BTW, I drove the truck only 2500 non-camping miles last year...

Half-tonners work OK. They're gonna lose 2 - 3 mpg with the camper, and you're gonna be fully loaded, so you have to be more aware of that. But if you're a "right-tool-for-the-job" type o' guy, you'll be wantin' a HD pickup, IMHO...

I also would recommend the 3/4 ton. Would a 1/2 work? Probably but ask your self this, how many people on here have complained about having too much truck? I can't think of one. On the other hand how many threads are there on air bags and after market springs?

I'm in the position stating from scratch. I will soon buying a new truck and camper and my choice will be between a 3/4 ton or 1 ton.

Good luck with what ever you choose.

Thank you for the replies! As I newbie, I can't say how much I appreciate all the great information that is on the forum. Jeff

Thank you for the replies! As I newbie, I can't say how much I appreciate all the great information that is on the forum. Jeff

Here is another vote for a 3/4 ton truck. I started out with my 2008 Hawk mounted on a Tundra half ton. Did it work? Well, yes but it was far from ideal. Really lacked good braking and even with custom rear spring packs ($1000) and air bags ($300) the truck just felt overworked.

The Hawk is now mounted on a 3/4 ton truck and life is much better.

Get a truck designed to carry the load and you'll be much happier.

I too am trying to make this decision since the transmission just went out on the T-100. I replaced it but at 226k miles it's time for a new ride. Between the better pay load and towing capacity of the Ford diesel and the fact that I really hate the interior of the new Tundra ( too bulky and plasticky) I think I'll be buying a used 7.3 liter diesel. I still hate the sound of that damn diesel but I think it will grow on me and I'll be happy knowing that my truck can handle the camper with no problem. Now if the crew cabs were just a bit cheaper....oh well it looks like it's a super cab for me :)

I too am trying to make this decision since the transmission just went out on the T-100. I replaced it but at 226k miles it's time for a new ride. Between the better pay load and towing capacity of the Ford diesel and the fact that I really hate the interior of the new Tundra ( too bulky and plasticky) I think I'll be buying a used 7.3 liter diesel. I still hate the sound of that damn diesel but I think it will grow on me and I'll be happy knowing that my truck can handle the camper with no problem. Now if the crew cabs were just a bit cheaper....oh well it looks like it's a super cab for me :)

rich,

I had exactly the same decision to make that you have. I put the Hawk on my Tundra when it had 200,000 miles on it. In short order the transmission failed. I replaced the transmission and kept the truck for a run around vehicle......but had to do something about a new truck for the Hawk.

When the Hawk was mounted on the Tundra....the braking distance increased so dramatically I almost got into a couple of fender benders before I got used to the new requirements for stopping. The mileage went from 15 down to 10-11 mpg. When pulling my atv trailer the mileage dropped to 7.5 mpg. The reason for the huge drop was because I had to push the lock-out button to keep the tranny in "Haul/Trailer" mode which didn't use the overdrive...so the rpm's went way up. It always felt like I was driving a big RV when the Hawk was mounted on the Tundra.

I've wanted the low rpm torque of a diesel my entire life and decided it was high time I got one. I was tired of the lousy 1/2 ton braking and the overloaded condition.....the Hawk is much happier on the 3/4 ton. The 3/4 ton barely knows there is a camper on it.....and when I tow my trailer....I have to keep looking in the rear view mirror to make sure my trailer is still there....since I can't even feel it. Fully loaded with the camper and trailer....I get 13-15 mpg depending on how much foot I put into it. It will go up the steepest grades at 75 mph with a lot of power in reserve.....passing cars on the way up. The poor Tundra would barely do 45 mph up those same hills.

What a huge difference. Get the 3/4 ton diesel....you'll never regret it.

In short order the transmission failed.

A few people have mentioned trans failure in short order. I'd say the BEST money I spent on my rig when I was setting it up for the FWC wasn't airbags or any suspension stuff, etc. Hands down the biggest thing I'd recommend is installing a trans temp gauge. Its pretty surprising the times you'd generate heat w/o thinking about it. Sure climbing hills on the highway is obvious, but sometimes mine starts heating up on 2tracks just because its going between 2nd and 3rd too much so I lock it down into 2nd until I'm in an area I know it won't be hunting back and forth and all is happy.

I know I'd have accidentally blown my trans by now without it.

The reason for the huge drop was because I had to push the lock-out button to keep the tranny in "Haul/Trailer" mode which didn't use the overdrive...so the rpm's went way up.

You only need to lock out when you're generating heat by leaving over drive an option. I run mine in over drive all the time and just lock it out as needed.

This goes for the larger trucks too by the way (more so on 2track stuff land highway though).

As an update I am now swinging back towards the Tundra, the new body style which has a bit better pay load because the size and sound of the diesels are killing me a bit. The wife and I spent all day driving diesels today and at the end of the day hopped in the tundra and both of us instantly felt at ease. The decision isn't final and I might regret it but I'm not sure sacrificing my daily driving happiness is worth it for my camping trips. If the truck was only for the camper it would be a slam dunk on the diesel but it's my daily driver too. What a dilemma!

Great advice on the tranny temp gauge pods especially if I go Tundra I will install one of those and a separate tranny cooler too I think.

I just happen to have a 3/4 tone for sale as of a few days ago. 01 2500 Chevrolet 4x4 6.0 liter crew cab gasser. Its definately the way to go.

the size and sound of the diesels are killing me a bit

It's not so much a gasser vs diesel issue......it's a 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton issue. The camper will be much happier on a 3/4 ton. If you don't like the diesel option....get a 3/4 ton gasser. The 3/4 ton gassers are not that much larger than a 1/2 ton gasser.

It's not so much a gasser vs diesel issue......it's a 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton issue. The camper will be much happier on a 3/4 ton. If you don't like the diesel option....get a 3/4 ton gasser. The 3/4 ton gassers are not that much larger than a 1/2 ton gasser.

I thought of that but the 3/4 ton gassers are gonna get 8 miles per gallon without the camper and I can't handle that. The new Tundras with the tow package have a built in Tranny cooler and a tow/haul mode to lock out the overdrive both of which should help keep the tranny alive at least.

I thought of that but the 3/4 ton gassers are gonna get 8 miles per gallon without the camper and I can't handle that. The new Tundras with the tow package have a built in Tranny cooler and a tow/haul mode to lock out the overdrive both of which should help keep the tranny alive at least.

That's not true. My F250 gets 13-14 empty and 12 average over long camper trips with high speed freeway and plenty of off-road sprinkled in.

That's not true. My F250 gets 13-14 empty and 12 average over long camper trips with high speed freeway and plenty of off-road sprinkled in.

My 2000 V10 6.8L gasoline F250 gets the same mileage as DirtyDog reported for his rig.
I haven't run it with the camper off in a long time, but back when I did it usually got 14mpg in pure-highway driving. With the camper on it gets 12 on the highway -- as low as 10-11 if I'm in 4x4, like on snow-covered roads or primitive dirt roads.

I don't think 8 mpg has been true for a 3/4-ton truck since the last millennium. ;)

(nevermind that my 2000 rig was (technically) the last millennium :p )

The new Tundras with the tow package have a built in Tranny cooler and a tow/haul mode to lock out the overdrive both of which should help keep the tranny alive at least.

My Tundra had the tow package with built-in tranny cooler and tow/haul mode lock out button. Still fried the tranny....but in all fairness...the truck had 200K miles on it.

A newer Tundra should be just fine if that's what you had your heart set on. Have fun.

Ok I stand corrected on the gassers mileage, that is good to know I might consider that. Now tell me this for those of you with the Ford gassers and I'm sure I will start a bit of a sh*t storm :) with this but I truly want to know your answers because I have been away from Ford's for quite some time. My grandfather worked for Ford, my father and brothers have bought nothing but fords and I have spent way more time pushing them than driving them. I have been a Toyota man for the last 14 years and the only reason I was considering anything that said FORD on it this time was because the 7.3 liter diesels have such a good reputation. How do you feel about your FORD gas engines in terms of reliability over the long haul. I am retiring my T-100 at 226k and I expect at least 200k out of whatever I buy next.

and just so people don't think I'm indiscriminately brand bashing here, as a family we have owned:

Fairlane
Galaxy 500 wagon
3 different pintos
3 Tauruses
3 mustangs
2 festivas
3 F-150's
1 F-250 (7.3 diesel)
1 Expedition

That doesn't include the 3 different Mercuries we have owned which were just Fords with a different emblem on them.

The F-150's and 250's have been alright the rest have been a real challenge. That's a decent cross section of the Ford product line for the last 40 years that I have had the opportunity to try out :)

Ok I stand corrected on the gassers mileage, that is good to know I might consider that. Now tell me this for those of you with the Ford gassers... How do you feel about your FORD gas engines in terms of reliability over the long haul.

The F-150's and 250's have been alright...

Seems to me that the sentence above answers your question. Unless you were planning on mounting the camper on a Taurus or Mustang...??? :D

FWIW, my own experience:
I'm at 100,000 miles on the Ford in my signature, and I haven't had any problems.
Of course, one guy's experience -- positive or negative -- doesn't prove anything, but there it is. It's the first/only American vehicle I've owned.
Prior to this Ford I had a Toyota Tacoma and loved it. I spent many wonderful years tent (and canopy) camping out of it. I only bought the full-size Ford (in 2000) because I decided to buy a camper and I didn't want to have any issues with the rig carrying it being under-powered or under-sized. I haven't been disappointed. :)
YMMV ;)

I am not advocating buying any particular brand of truck.....all I'm saying is that the Hawk camper will be MUCH happier on a 3/4 ton truck.

My last Ford was a 1972 Ford F100 4X4. I kept it for 10 years and it was a good truck.

I have been strictly a Toyota man for the last 20 years.

The only reason I bought a Ford was because I wanted to try a diesel truck and I wanted a 3/4 ton platform. I got tired of waiting for Toyota to come out with one.

Back
Top Bottom