Truck Recc for Hawk

My last Ford was a 1972 Ford F100 4X4. I kept it for 10 years and it was a good truck.
I have been strictly a Toyota man for the last 20 years.
The only reason I bought a Ford was because I wanted to try a diesel truck and I wanted a 3/4 ton platform.

Leadsled- Your signature mentions a 2010 F250...so are you a Ford man again?

Leadsled- Your signature mentions a 2010 F250...so are you a Ford man again?

Yep. I've had the Ford for a year now.....knock on wood......and it's been a peach. I just love it.

More importantly....my Hawk loves it!

Attachments

• DSC_03390001.JPG
    DSC_03390001.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC_00070001.JPG
    DSC_00070001.JPG
    222.4 KB · Views: 160
Hello,
I just became the proud owner of a 2006 Hawk. The problem is, I don't have a truck yet. It seems like my truck options (like much in life) present tradeoffs between things including power and size etc. The truck will probably have the camper on full time. I like to be on 4WD roads a lot, going to remote places (like Baja and Canyonlands) though I am not a rock crawler type. I am also hoping to take a kayak or two on some trips, which I figure would increase weight about 100 lbs. I am ok with upgrading the suspension if that is what is needed. On one hand, I would probably like an old style Tundra ('06), or other half ton truck, but am concerned that it might be a bit underpowered and/or not a beefy enough suspension for that amount of weight (even with airbags and maybe a sway bar). The newer Tundras, 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks seem really large, especially for going on 4WD roads, but they have more power and better stock suspension. My preference would probably be the smaller 1/2 ton truck, but only if it is sufficient in terms of power and load management, etc. Any thoughts and/or recommendations from this learned group re truck types and/or suspension upgrades to go with it? Thank you.

Hi there
I read your request for pick-up that can haul your Hawk
I haven't posted here yet, but if you care to go to Craigslist you'll see I have posted a 2000 F150 and a 2007 Hawks that I had fitted down in Woodland CA. It's been a great combination and rides well. Graigslist Clark county Wa . Click on RV - Camper. Its for sale and has only 99,5000 miles/Users/edfiegenbaum/Desktop/IMG_1577.jpg/Users/edfiegenbaum/Desktop/IMG_1579.jpg/Users/edfiegenbaum/Desktop/IMG_1580.JPG/Users/edfiegenbaum/Desktop/IMG_1576.JPG

OK call me old or call me a slow poke but I just love my Hawk on my Tundra 2000 4x4 Access cab with a 5 speed manual V6. Yes the 190 HP V-6! If you keep the speed at 65 it gets over 16 mpg always with the AC on on the highway and while on a trip to Alaska I got over 20mpg for the 20,000 mile trip because going over 55 was basically impossible. I don't feel it is underpowered, it will pull if you want to pay for the gas, I have lived for the past 20 years in 4 banger Toyota PU's and it is a truck and isn't suppose to go up the grapevine at 70. I have always tried to save as much gas as possible because speed is something I have never needed but I do need cash and hauling costs money and I have time not money. I hate automatics and wouldn't want to touch one with a camper, wish they made the new Tundra with the 4.0 V6 with the 6 speed manual in 4x4, would be an amazing truck but Toyota believes you all need automatics because very few people use trucks as trucks. I put a set of firestone airbags on the rear and she rides level and added a rear sway bar and it keeps the rear very level and at times I forget there is a camper on the back. We purchased the Hawk shell and I built the interior. At times I have had the trucks GVW maxed out and a few times over loaded unknowing and never had a problem, I just was always aware there was a lot of weight in the truck and it wasn't a sports car but if I ever wanted to lock up the brakes it would do it. I have driven pop up trailers behind small pickups and being aware of weight is something everyone needs to be aware of. I have had the hawk on the back of the Tundra for almost 100K miles and like the fit. The truck is small enough to not drive like a tank. One thing that surprised me was the original tundra was the same external size within inches of width, height, and length of my dads similar year Suburban but driving the two the Suburban drives much larger in my opinion, the Tundra still feels like a smaller PU

...I just love my Hawk on my Tundra 2000 4x4 Access cab with a 5 speed manual V6. Yes the 190 HP V-6! If you keep the speed at 65 it gets over 16 mpg always with the AC on...

Wow, the unicorn! I searched high & low and long & hard for a 4wd V6 Tundra in '00... could never find one. Found a few 2wd's in FL, but never a 4wd. Finally gave up the search when the rumors of the crew-cab started... I'm still holding out for a 1st gen crew-cab eventually.

I bought an '08 Hawk last Spring.. while it fit in the bed of my T100, it sure didn't look right. It looked like one of those elephants at the circus balancing on a tiny stool -

809367779_RzYkw-O.jpg

809367370_zWubX-O.jpg

I debated selling my truck & Eagle, to keep the Hawk and move into the crew-cab Tundra finally, but we decided we like what we have just fine for now, so we sold the Hawk. I have no idea if I'm on topic because honestly, I stopped reading this thread when it turned into a truck debate... :p

Well for me at least the debate is over. I picked up a 2007 Tundra Double Cab 4 wheel drive on Monday. So far with mostly freeway driving I am getting 16.6 to the gallon actual mileage, not according to the on board computer which isn't far off at 16 - 16.2 to the gallon. That is more than I get in my T-100 so I'm happy. I have to build some extension brackets for my jacks and a basement for the camper to install it on the new Tundra so it will be a little bit before I can post a picture of the new set up and get some mileage readings with camper on. Had to do a DMV weight cert on the truck and it was 5,620 lbs pretty much empty, had maybe 2-3 gallons of fuel in it. I'm going to go back and weigh the whole set up fully fueled and loaded for a trip with the camper and see what it reads. I posted on an older thread about the same subject but any basement ideas would be greatly appreciated.

So far I am loving the new Tundra.

Rich

Back
Top Bottom