Truck to Camper adapter

AZ Pat

Hey all, I'm in the process of converting my pickup from a horse trailer towing machine to an off-road FWC machine. As such, I've run into a snag regarding the hookup between the truck and camper.

My truck has a six pin plug in the side and as you know the Hawk has a three pin. Is there some sort of adapter I can put between the two that any of you know of?

Attachments

• WP_20160620_22_47_19_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160620_22_47_19_Pro.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 130
  • WP_20160620_22_48_00_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160620_22_48_00_Pro.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 135
I wouldn't attempt using your present 6 wire plug. The 12 volt wiring is not heavy enough to carry the amp load for your camper battery charge needs. Most camper installations use a plug setup designed for boat trolling motors.
I would visit a boat sales store or an RV center and inquire about what truck to camper setup to use.

Even the trolling motor connector's wire size is marginal. Most battery connections thru the light connector are 10 gauge max, when it really should be 8 or even 6 gauge wire for both power and ground. There are many threads on this forum about camper battery charging. In those you'll find pics and links to how various members have solved this. Don't ignore the solar threads because a fair amount of info pertinent to your question is in them too.

If your camper has tail lights you can use your existing socket to power those.

They do make adapters but they're bulky and balky. I wouldn't trust one where its not readily accessible. Iffy enough using one for a trailer.

Hmmm, the 7 pin we have in the side of the F350 truck bed works fine for the Northern Lite. The one that was in the old F250 worked fine with the Caribou. Before I decided to sell my FWC, I had intended to use it, with a 7 pin, in the F350.

Don't see a problem using the existing camper wiring. Yes, larger gauge wire would be better, but if it worked for other campers, why not a poptop?

My concern with adapters is who wired the previous connectors. There are standards for the wiring codes but that doesn't mean the person who installed the old set up followed them. I've seen way too many mis-wired trailer connectors.

I would just cut off the camper plug and put a 7 pin on it to match your truck. It is easy to change camper wire connectors over time.

Back
Top Bottom