Truck woes

Zirdu

For those waiting for a new camper, here is my tale of woe. In August I decided to sell my 2000 Toyota Tacoma with Eagle and order a new Grandby and a new Ford F-150 to put it on. No problem selling the Toyota and Eagle - each sold within hours or days of listing. FWC built the new Grandby in record time, and my dealer in SLC called and said they wanted to schedule install on Oct 18th!

The only problem was my new Ford F-150 was not here. I kept bothering the dealer, and they couldn't really tell me why I didn't even have a build date. I had ordered a new 2017 F-150 with the v6 eco boost engine, 10 speed transmission, start/stop technology, regular cab with the heavy duty payload package. This combination gives a payload rating of 3240 pounds, which I figured was plenty for the Grandby, fully loaded.

Today I was told that Ford was having technical problems getting the new v6 eco boost, 10 speed transmission and start/stop technology to work well together. They couldn't say when they might have the problem resolved - maybe 6 weeks or 6 months. No one knows. I am not a happy camper. In fact, I am not a camper at all! Woe is me.

Tomorrow, I am going back and order a regular cab, heavy duty payload package, with the "old" v8 and 6 speed transmission. Only thing I will lose is some gas mileage. But the new build will actually be a few thousand cheaper, and that can buy a lot of gas. This new combo will have a payload rating of 3,270 pounds! Amazing for a F-150. If my dealer can find a unit like this anywhere in the country, I will buy it, but i am not hopeful.

Why the regular cab? For one thing, i just like it. And given my garage size, I had a length limit to work with. i could use the available space in an extended cab with a Hawk, or a regular cab and a Grandby. Buying the extra space in the Grandby is a lot cheaper than the extra space in an extended cab. I plan on having the camper on full time, and I myself would rather have the "extra" inside space in my camper than in the cab of my truck. I don't plan on hauling anyone in the truck other than me and my wife, but in a pinch I suppose kids or someone could travel in the camper. Does anyone ever do that? Notice how many extended or crew cab trucks you see driving around, and think of how rarely you ever see anyone in the back seats. Most of the time this extra seating is totally wasted. Yes you can put equipment there, but you can just as easily put extra equipment in the extra space in the Grandby.

I've been promised a rush job on building my new truck, since I have been waiting so long. I hope. It is really agony to know I have a brand new Grandby ready and waiting for me, that I have never seen, but fully paid for, but have no truck to put it on. Bummer.

That is quite the story. Let's hope your dealer comes through for you with the truck you want. You have good arguments for a regular cab, classic pick up. After all's said and done you will have a great story to tell. Hang in there.

We have the same rig as your latest truck build and are very happy after 70,000 miles and 600 camper nights. You are very brave to order all that new equipment (transmission, engine). We plan to get the 10 speed transmission with a 5.0 V-8 after three or four years of production. Does the new regular cab still have the 17 cubic feet of storage space behind the seats? I strongly recommend the trailer mirrors for the regular cab because of the blind spots on both sides (the dealer installed ours). We aim the fish eye mirror at the blind spots on both sides and the main mirrors for traffic behind us. We removed the regular cab center "seat" (four bolts at the bottom), and installed a wood box console with dividers for maps, atlas, cell phone... which also improved access to the storage behind the seats because the box was lower than the "seat".

The amount of storage space behind the 2017 F-150 standard cab is very minimal. I don't think it is anywhere close to 17 cubic feet.

Given the problems Ford is apparently having with their new 10 speed transmission + EcoBost engine + stop/start, I am glad now I opted for the tried and true V8. I left off a few bells and whistles and ended up saving about $5,000, which will buy a lot of gas.

I used to haul my 2007 Grandby on a regular cab Chevy. Had no storage behind the bench seat. I did have a FWC factory roof rack on the Grandby. I could put more up there than I could lift. I had to unload some of it when I wanted to raise the roof, but it was nice to have the extra space. I used to carry a couple camp chairs, a Zodi Extreme shower, a porta privy, a camp stove, and a few other small items. It wasn't ideal. but it worked for us.

I think you will enjoy your set up. Happy camping.

Buzz

Good arguments for a regular cab for you.
You've thought it through.
Hope your truck situation clears up soon.

I was surprised looking over the data that Good Sam has on vehicle data per State regarding occupants in the back of a truck camper (it's sort of hidden in all the other details). Your home State of Utah, no issue (as it is in most States), other States may have some restrictions like DOT approved seat restraints, or something else.

For what it is worth, the V6 eco boost is a great engine for people who need a lot of towing/hauling capacity, for vacations and other irregular use, but need good mileage on a daily basis when driving unladen. Under load, I understand the V8 will get equal or better mileage than the Eco boost V6.

Ford is not the first maker to struggle with the stop/Start driveability and cancel/suspend the option. Sounds simple but apparently is not.

A buddy and I rented a car with the start/stop "feature". We both hated it, and vowed to never buy a car with it (or at least be able to de-activate it.) When waiting in traffic, and you need to move forward just a bit, the engine re-starts and then shuts off when you stop again. Very annoying. The other problem was that the A/C stops blowing cold air after the engine is off. If you are in a warm climate, that's an issue.

Back
Top Bottom