Trucks and Alaskan Camper Question

free ranger

I am new to this site and have a couple of questions. My truck is a dodge 3/4 ton diesel with a steel flatbed. Weighing the truck with about 3/4 full of a 35 gal tank was 7,040 lbs. The gvwr for the truck is 8,800 lbs. I would like to buy an 8 ft. alaskan camper, maybe an older one that needs some work. My first question is will my truck carry it OK ? My second question is, does anyone know of one for sale? I'm in Nebraska but would be willing to drive for the right deal.

I wonder if the 8800# refers to the truck with a standard 8' bed on it before the installation of the steel flatbed?
Unless you overload the REAR axle when loading up an Alaskan, you can safely add the difference which is about 1800#. In looking at some older Alaskan material, the 8' CO should come in at 1440# when dry. However when you add in your passenger, gear, food, etc., you will easily add another 500# or more when you top off the fuel tanks.

Some guys run a few pounds over the GVWR of their tags but don't go over the rear axle capacity and some guys have several hundred pounds over the GVWR and most of it on the rear axle. The addition of springs/air bags, etc. to carry the load may make the truck ride higher but won't help you STOP it if you have to hit the binders real hard.

Have you considered removing the flatbed and finding a regular tub for the truck? Just as a note, my '88 F-250 has a GVWR of 8800# and I weighed it with just myself, about 25 gallons of gas and a 200# shell on the truck....it weighed 6400#.

My guess is that flatbed is much heavier than the standard truck tub would be so you might want to consider a swap for it. Having more "space" usually leads to carrying more "stuff" which weighs more and more...

You'll need to decide if a CO or non-CO Alaskan is what you want as the weight is a consideration here as is the difference between an 8' and a 10' camper....

Since you are in Nebraska, I would suggest you start with figuring out which way to go and then...buy the BEST Alaskan you can find....No leaks or damage unless you are a carpenter by trade! I would also suggest you would do better to finding one by checking Craigslist in Arizona, New Mexico and So. California where there just isn't as much rain and moisture to attack the camper.

Good Luck with the search....it took me 14 months or so to find the one I picked up about a week or so ago....

Free Ranger -

Ive got a 1994 regular cab diesel Dodge with a 10' CO and it handles the weight just fine. The truck does have air bags to help handle the weight which is very important. Without the bags it's pretty much squatted down all of the way. With the airbags, it's just fine.

With all of that weight, braking is a little slower as can be expected but it handles the weight just fine. We took off for a 18 month trip last year and I weighed it with LOTS of extra weight and believe we clocked in at 10,000lbs or 8,000lbs. I'm pretty sure it was 10,000 but can't remember off the top of my head. Either way, considering your situation, you will be just fine. Just don't be in a hurry and pay attention while you drive.

Good luck with the Alaskan search! They're awesome campers!

Semi-relevant data point: Our '95 ClubCab CTD with a Phoenix pop-top went over the dump scales with about 1/2 tank (35 gal), loaded with our normal camping gear load but less our clothing etc. & food at 9140 lbs.

Now is the time to weigh the truck to see GVWR, Front GAWW and Rear GAWR so you know where to start. Full tanks and you plus a pass would be advised. Everything starts from there...

I'm at work now but had a chance to look at site. thank you guys for your help.

I'm driving a 1995 Dodge 3/4 ton with factory camper package I understand 2 models were produced one a little heavier duty than the other My calculations are based on the Factory sticker in the door jam and 3000 lbs is my upper limit for a camper, I had a six-Pac dry for a number of years and was able to weigh it at my friends alfalfa loading yard in Dyer Nv. I was just under the limit realizing the sheer amount of redundant gear just made me laugh,and think.

I will be driving 1300 miles to look at a 1973 8Ft CO in New Mexico then drive back to Nevada for some earned time off. air bags are ready.

wagoneer said:
I will be driving 1300 miles to look at a 1973 8Ft CO in New Mexico then drive back to Nevada for some earned time off. air bags are ready.
Hope you're aware that truck dimensions have changed over time, and fitting a 73 camper to a 95 truck bed can possibly be problematic. Maybe you could have the seller take some measurements and send them to you, so as to save yourself a needless trip if it isn't going to fit. Good Luck!

From a great article in Truck Camper Magazine:

https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/newbie-articles/match-truck-truck-camper/

*4. Measure your truck’s exterior dimensions for camper fit compatibility.*

Not all truck and camper combinations are fit compatible. Truck campers are built to fit the trucks available at the date of manufacture. New truck designs sometimes don’t fit older campers, or even current campers.

Always measure and verify that your truck will be fit compatible with your intended camper before purchasing and loading the camper. The important exterior truck dimensions are bed length, bed width, rail height, cab height, and the tailgate opening. Truck bumpers can also cause fit compatibility issues.

I've never tried it, but I'm guessing it's going to be a lot like crawling into a pickup with a cap on back. Personally, my knees and back can't take that **** anymore.

With the top down, the upper berth is completely inaccessible for a human being...you are left with the dinette/bed unless you raise the top.

I’m converting a pickup to flatbed and adding a 7-1/2ft aluminum tool box with drop down locking doors to each side on the bed under the camper wings. I expect to enjoy the extra stowage in the under wing area. The boxes will be removable for open flatbed work with the truck.

I could sleep on the dinette with the top down on my ‘74. Don’t forget to rig the upper door latch so you can open it.

Thanks CAMPER FITS VERY WELL smooth sailing. Not that I am taking it off right away but would like to be able to how do you deal with that? I dislike cable tripos jacks but it seems like the only option it has the HELLSTAR mounts and in my search have not found the legs.

OK enough of my yapping on about "my" camper.
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:32001]
[ DSCN2199.jpg

Back
Top Bottom