Trucks and Alaskan Camper Question

Adrian...I wonder if you can use Reico-Titan jacks and bolt them to those existing mounts on the four corners? If you measure the mounts we can answer that. Post what you find them to be...

DSCN2211.jpgDSCN2212.jpgI just bought 3 piece set of the tripod jacks, the 2 top holes are 3" center to center the lower holes are not identicle and were drilled for some reason I use a "D" clip to fasten the tiedowns to.

4 jacks make more sense, why is the three jacks called a "set" I emailed Reico this question. Oh just got some serious brake issues after the 1200 miles. Brake fade I am thinking rear drum cylinders leaking probably original
O rings failing

I would suggest you use FOUR of the Reico-Titan jacks. From the looks of the mounts in your photo you should probbly switch to the ones from Reico. Be sure to fabricate a steel or aluminum plate that matches the holes on the Reico mounting brackets and place this inside the camper. As usual, use sealant on the bolts that hold each one of them in there. If there is any way to use a round headed carriage bolt with the heads IN the camper this will interfere less with the seats-to-bed transition and the seats will lay flatter as they should. Use sealant around the bolt holes and around the perimeter of the bracket where it is attached to those bolts so no moisture can infiltrate and start to soften the wood. Try to use bolts that do not extend too far past the nuts unless you would like to use them for mounting something at a later date.

Check out the Reico brackets, they have a place to mount your Happijacs as well! (unless you are constantly installing and then removing the Alaskan, I think it better to remove those very expensive Titan jacks and store them in a safe, weatherproof location until the camping season is over if you intend on dismounting for winter)

Time for a brake shop to check the truck brakes but if you can see brake fluid leaking down from the brake drum or splattered on the wheel rims then that diagnosis is probably correct unless you have a damaged brake fluid line.

By the way, since those brackets MIGHT be I the way, if you are considering replacing the Pirelli seal, once you remove the old brackets, that would be a good time to do that project!

You were right on the money original rear brake cylinders failed after only 116k, I want my money back! Sludge and gunk WTF well after rebleeding the entire system, as good as new. Synthetic fluid and 20-10 all is good.

We had our 10ft CO on a 1995 Dodge 2500. Put Firestone air bag set up on rear. Brakes on this truck left a lot to be desired. Upgrades by EGR brakes front and rear and a exhaust brake helped a lot. Put over a hundred thousand mile on this truck with a Alaskan and prior S&S camper with a lot of towing boat or enclosed snowmobile trailer. No problems

Better to find this out NOW Adrian than at the top of the Sierra Nevada Mountains with a fully loaded camper and passengers on board. I've got disc brakes up front and with two new wheel cylinders and brake shoes and cleaned up drums the F250 stops much better.

Back
Top Bottom