Tundra Fit criteria?

Doug K

I have a 2003 Tundra and in following the threads and the for sale posting I am puzzled.

There was an add for a 1999 Hawk that said "won't fit a Tundra"
There was a recent comment by someone looking for a Hawk that would fit the 58" bed width of a 2000 Tundra.
I saw a picture of a 1996 Hawk at an RV dealer that looked like it had a hanging closet aft of the side bench - were some models longer than 6' 5".

I agree with the individual who put a "standard size" Hawk on a Tundra.

So what do I really need to know to find a Hawk that will fit without driving 14 hrs to find out that it won"t fit?

Are there good years and not so good years for used Hawks?

What years of "Standard Hawks" fit a 2003 Tundra?

Thanks in advance

Doug,
I went through the Tundra Syndrome when I was looking for my camper. Stan at FWC said a 2001 1/2 or newer will fit (e.g. some 2001's will fit, some won't) they started modifying them for a Tundra at some point in 2001.

Anything newer than a 2001 and you are golden.

EDIT:
I would still have whoever you may buy from measure just to be safe, some folks may think they have a 2002 for instance when in fact it may be something older. Better safe than sorry.

For last gen Tundra's, isn't it the height of the rails that makes the difference, not the width? If so, you can build a "floor pack" that will raise the camper a couple of inches and make it fit.

I saw a picture of a 1996 Hawk at an RV dealer that looked like it had a hanging closet aft of the side bench - were some models longer than 6' 5".

It probably was a grandby.

For last gen Tundra's, isn't it the height of the rails that makes the difference, not the width? If so, you can build a "floor pack" that will raise the camper a couple of inches and make it fit.

Hadn't heard of any issues with the bed on 2nd Gens. Thought they had the same deeper bed as the 1st Gen DC's? I'm honestly not sure what the bed width of a 2nd gen is though.

The new, 2007 and later have deep beds. I was asking about the generation before that. Don't know how deep they are.

The new, 2007 and later have deep beds. I was asking about the generation before that. Don't know how deep they are.

Copy. The 1st Gen Access cabs have a shallower bed but the 1st Gen Double Cabs have the deep bed just like yours.

2000 - 2006 Toyota Tundra

58" wide tail gate opening

approx. 17" deep truck bed

2004 - 2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab

58" wide tail gate opening

approx. 20" deep truck bed

2007 - 2010 Toyota Tundra

60" wide tail gate opening

approx. 22" deep truck bed

four wheel has a used camper fit list, a bit out dated, but the info is OK and is accurate for the older tundras -- see here ...

http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/camper_fit.htm

Hey Doug

Thanks for the call today.

I don't have your direct e-mail address, but here are some pictures of the older "Fleet Models" on the Tundra trucks.

Just keep checking CL in Colorado.

They pop-up on there for sale from time to time.

:)

Attachments

• Fleet II on Tundra #1.jpg
    Fleet II on Tundra #1.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 315
  • fleet on toyota tundra 11.jpg
    fleet on toyota tundra 11.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 510
  • fleet on tundra #10.jpg
    fleet on tundra #10.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 422
  • fleet on tundra #11.jpg
    fleet on tundra #11.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 422
  • fleet on tundra #12.jpg
    fleet on tundra #12.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 569
Here is a photo of my Fleet on a Tundra. You may be asking yourself: What doesn't look right about this picture. Well I shortened the overall length of the Fleet to fit the Tundra bed without overhang. I love it!

FLEET.JPG

Back
Top Bottom