Tundra/fwc

adrian

Advanced Member
I am looking to buy a Tundra and would like some reaction from people who have one and how it goes with a Hawk. Also, what changes did you have to make to the truck. Thank you for your response in advance.

Mine is a 2005 Tundra DC and Hawk. I have the Firestone air bags set to 20 pounds. I also have E rated tires.
The Tundra handles it like a dream.

img_165626_0_c6eb8062dea4b224d1f536402ee828e4.jpg

I have a 2010 Tundra with a 2014 Hawk. I added a rear sway bar, air bags and E series tires. Fuel consumption around town is 10 to 11 mpg. On the road it is 12 to 15 depending on terrain. I, occasionally, pull a 16 ft Arima boat. Usually put the truck in tow/haul mode. The rear sway bar & E series tires each made significant improvement in controlling sway & road feel especially on mountain roads. The air bags keep the ride height normal.

If I were buying a new truck, it would be a 3/4 or 1 ton, but no real complaints about power, handling or braking in the Tundra. Braking is about the same with the camper & boat as it was when I rented a travel trailer for a vacation prior to buying the camper.

Paul

I recently sold my '03 Hawk and '03 Tundra. It was a great combination. More than enough power with the 4.3L and around 14mpg pushing the speed limits. It had overload springs on it and it rode great with the camper on - too bouncy with the camper off. Barely noticed any top heavy-ness going down steep winding mountain roads. The bad - brakes. There were times when I didn't think I'd stop in time, especially in heavy traffic when everyone is bumper to bumper. That was the main reason I bought the '14 Tundra. Braking is no longer a concern. I thought I'd have more power with the 5.7L, but the extra 1,000 lb curb weight sucks up the extra power. Gas mileage with my '14 is around 12mpg with camper on. I went with firestone airbags and really like the ride. The '03 seemed a lot more nimble as far as handling. Like I said, the brakes were the only issue. I never looked into getting larger after market calipers and rotors - that might be a solution. I'm sure other gen 1 owners can give you feedback on this. Goodluck with your research!!

'08 Tundra with a Grandby so a bit heavier that you are talking about. Run E rated tires and airbags. Don't feel like I'm overloaded at all, have a small offroad trailer that I tow on occasion have also towed some travel trailers and boats while the camper is on, no issues.

Have taken the setup into Tuweep, Egypt and various other places in the desert SW in addition to the mountains of the PNW pretty happy with the setup.

One caveat; as I get older I tend to drive more and more like the grumpy old man that I am :D

I would like to thank idohoron, Pault, Ronin, and Cayuse for their information on the tundra/hawk combo. I am looking to buy a tundra once I sale by tocoma. Had a tocoma/ built-out fleet combo. Need a back seat for grandchildren.
Was wondering if others have found the larger engine not giving that much extra power? I f you have more inform. please give before I purchase. Thanks again

Hello Adrian. 2006 Access cab / 2008 Hawk owner here. It's been a great combination, we've had for almost six years. I have air bags (but would do custom springs, if a full time rig), sway bar and E rated tires. Tires are what connects you to the trail, so I feel they are one of the most important elements. Plenty of power with V8 for passing. Brakes are not very crisp, if it requires an emergency stop.

You mentioned grandkids, so you will probably want a crew cab. I pulled the rear seat out of my access cab and have a platform for the dog, plus extensive storage.

Eventually, I will sell my Tundra/Hawk, but not for a year or so. Your needs sound more eminent. Good luck with the final purchase!

My Tundra with the 5.7l engine has more power than I have needed. If you set the electronic monitor to display instantaneous mpg, you will quickly learn to ease up with your right foot. With a towing capacity that can exceed 10000 lbs, there is plenty of braking capacity.

As Cayuse implies, one's need for speed declines somewhat as one exhibits the Grumpier Old Man syndrome. :)

Paul

I have never driven a gen 2 Tundra 4x4 with a 4.3 L engine loaded with a Hawk camper along with all of one's associated gear so I don't know first hand if there would be sufficient power/torque for you. My gen 1 '03 Tundra 4x4 with 4.3L had more than enough power. Logic tells me that if you went with a 4.3L in the 1,000 lb heavier gen 2 you would feel the difference. I definitely have more than enough power with the 5.7L but I feel like my older rig accelerated better, worked less and downshifted less in the mountains (where I live and play). From my personal experience I couldn't imagine being happy with a 4.3L with my current setup. I often haul road base, pea gravel, landscape soi , etc and can feel the difference between hauling 1,000 vs 2,000 or more lbs. It's all going to come down to your personal needs and preferences. You didn't say what year Tundra you're going to buy. If if a newer one, try test driving with the 4.3L and the 5.7L and see for your self how it feels to you.

Lighthawk sums it up pretty well about the 1st gens. Mine makes a good combo with the Eagle camper.

2nd gens should have more of everything. They are a bigger truck. A 1st gen is like having a late model Tacoma that looks better and has a V8 and a steel bed!

Adrian. I have a 02 AC with a ATC Bobcat. Like most have said about the 1st gen lots of good things.
Yes the brakes get sluggish so you just be more aware. It's equipped with Firestone air bags which take care of the load.
For me it has plenty of power and with 15 mpg I can't complain.
I had the Bobcat on a Ford Ranger with the small V6 and it was so under powered.
Really enjoy the V8 power and just the right size truck for us.
Good luck in your hunt.
Frank

I had a late year (big brake) ’03 Tundra Limited v8 4x4 with a Hawk shell. Ready to travel it was always @ or above G.V.W. I added ‘E” tires, Air Bags, Bilstein shocks and more. On the freeways 13/15 mpg and very little passing power and braking was maginal. My suggestion is at least a 3/4 Ton. I liked the FWC BTW. I love my Tiger CX but that’s not comparing apples.

Ronin said:
I recently sold my '03 Hawk and '03 Tundra. It was a great combination. More than enough power with the 4.3L and around 14mpg pushing the speed limits. It had overload springs on it and it rode great with the camper on - too bouncy with the camper off. Barely noticed any top heavy-ness going down steep winding mountain roads. The bad - brakes. There were times when I didn't think I'd stop in time, especially in heavy traffic when everyone is bumper to bumper. That was the main reason I bought the '14 Tundra. Braking is no longer a concern. I thought I'd have more power with the 5.7L, but the extra 1,000 lb curb weight sucks up the extra power. Gas mileage with my '14 is around 12mpg with camper on. I went with firestone airbags and really like the ride. The '03 seemed a lot more nimble as far as handling. Like I said, the brakes were the only issue. I never looked into getting larger after market calipers and rotors - that might be a solution. I'm sure other gen 1 owners can give you feedback on this. Goodluck with your research!!
I think you meant 4.7 L. Thank for your feedback on the current ver. Tundra. It's too bad they don't have 6' bed on the crew cabs. It would've been a top contender for me.

I have a 2006 tundra double cab with a Hawk (~1400) lbs dry. I agree with all other comments here. The minimum modifications are 10 ply tires, air bag and sway bar. I adjusted my LPV and gave me more firmer braking. I also have slotted rotors and truck/SUV brake pads. Braking is improved but could still be better.

super doody said:
I think you meant 4.7 L. Thank for your feedback on the current ver. Tundra. It's too bad they don't have 6' bed on the crew cabs. It would've been a top contender for me.

I have a 2006 tundra double cab with a Hawk (~1400) lbs dry. I agree with all other comments here. The minimum modifications are 10 ply tires, air bag and sway bar. I adjusted my LPV and gave me more firmer braking. I also have slotted rotors and truck/SUV brake pads. Braking is improved but could still be better.
You're right - 4.7 L. My 2003 brakes felt marginal so when I decided I wanted to buy a camper I knew that weight was going to be an issue which led to buying my 1st Hawk. I wasn't aware of the mods and bias adjustments that could be done and just lived (sometimes in fear) with poor braking. I'm still running the OEM tires on my new rig, but will definitely go with E rated tires when they're due for replacement.

Adrian, the Tundra and FWC are the best, but I'm not quite sure if together is best. I had the '02 Tundra AC and a 2012 Hawk/combo and it did OK(?), but I believe I was really working my truck hard. And, I also drive "old" man style, which I am one :) I upgraded the tires to E's, HD shocks and air bags and this helped support and stabilize the truck, but? Having said that, I was always aware of my trucks response while on the road, as one should be, but "a lot" more attention was given to...stopping distance, rear end bouncing, sway, road curves and general stress on rear truck components...remember the Tundra has ~1500lb. pay load. MPG was also compromised, ~10mpg city and ~12-13mpg hwy. Perhaps a full-size truck with more payload would do you well... I hope this helps.

I recently moved my Hawk from a 2003 access cab 4.7 l to a 2010 double cab 5.7 l. A LOT more power and much better brakes and handling under load. The two tucks are not similar in any respect on the highway. Backseat in the double cab has plenty of room for kids. The downsides of the 2010 are the longer wheelbase and less clearance. I wouldn't take it through Mengel Pass.

I've had my 05 Tundra DC/ Hawk setup for about 3 months now and finally getting to use it. Plenty of power and doing great on rocky dirt roads after new shocks and leaf leveling kit in the back. I think we are going to have a lot of fun in this thing!

gallery_7222_1116_973781.jpg

Back
Top Bottom