Tundra Hawk Suspension Mods

tundracamper

Hey everyone,

Looking for suspension recommendations from folks who have run heavy tundras.

I'm in the process of upgrading the suspension on my 2010 Tundra, which has a permanently installed Four Wheel Hawk. My current setup is stock with airbags in the rear. The ride is harsh, and I frequently crash into the bump stops on heavily potholed forest roads and normal roads. Small bump compliance and handling on washboards is also poor. Truck is underdamped and rings out after hitting bumps on highway (this may just due to long overdue shock replacement).

I’m planning to have Boise Spring Works fabricate a new rear leaf spring kit, but I’m undecided on which front/rear shock absorbers and front coils to run.

This is my daily street driver, I do not do any hardcore offroading, but spend a few weekends a month driving medium-quick speed (30-50mph) somewhat heavily potholed Washington forest road on the way to various off-the-beaten path outdoor destinations. My previous vehicle with a rough country lifted FJ Cruiser which handled shockingly better all around.

I’m currently considering the following shock options:

1. Bilstein 5100s (with new coils)
2. Eibach Stage 1 kit
3. OME
4. Bilstein 6112/5160 combo
5. Eibach Stage 2R kit (with remote reservoirs)
6. Some comination of the above with mix matched coils

I'm trying to achieve a 2.5” lift in the front, and my vehicle's loaded-down for a trip weight (where most offroad driving occurs) average around 3,450 lbs up front, 3,850 lbs rear, total 7,300 lbs. I'd rather not step up to the larger more expensive remote reservoir options listed above if 5100s/stage1/OME kit have done the trick for others in the past

Thanks for the help! I've searched lots of reviews out there, but I haven’t found much specific to heavier, loaded camper rigs. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_6235.jpg

We have a 21 tundra with an ATC Ocelot mounted full time. Have the Boise spring pack and a factory sway bar. Stock shocks on the truck. Have not had any issues with this setup and it works well on rough roads including six weeks in Baja last winter driving both the pothole highways and some 4WD roads with deep sand and rocks.

I have 'trail tuned' OEM Bilstein shocks on my TRD 4WD. Also firestone ride-rite airbags. Good E-rated 10-ply tires at 50 psi. Very stable ride on pavement and back-roads.

For a permanently mounted camper, you're on the right track to ditch the air bags; you'll be far better off with a properly calibrated spring pack. Personally I'd choose the OME shocks, but Bilsteins would be fine too.

For a permanently mounted camper, you're on the right track to ditch the air bags; you'll be far better off with a properly calibrated spring pack. Personally I'd choose the OME shocks, but Bilsteins would be fine too.
Thanks for the replies! Any reason you would choose OME over Bilsteins? I'm likely in the price range of OME twin tube nitrochargers where as the others are monotubes. Thanks for sharing!

Personally I like low-pressure twin-tube shocks (i.e. OME) for overland travel. They're essentially immune to stone damage due to the outer tube, and less prone to failure due to lower operating pressure. It's not a one-is-bad-the-other-good situation; there are pros and cons for both. But I have several hundred thousand miles on twin-tube shocks on several continents—mostly OME or Koni—and not a single failure.

Back
Top Bottom