Turning Fridge Off

super doody

Sorry if missed it in the owner's manual but is there a way to turn off the fridge while the 12v system is on besides pulling the fuse in the fuse box? I have a Dometic Compressor 65 Liter Refrigerator/Freezer.

Thanks,

Jim

On my self-install Dometic 65 there is no way of turning it off other than pulling the fuse that comes with the unit. So unless FWC purposely adds a switch somewhere, I bet you have to pull the fuse as well.

On my 15 Hawk, if I have DC on to run fans or so I can charge batts, the fridge comes on also. I pull the fuse. Is there a better way?

I have the Dometic 110 in my Outfitter and have the same issue with having to pull the fuse to shut it off.

Steve is right about the Dometic control. Turns down to 1, then much harder to click to off. Mine stays off unless I'm camping.

Paul

The guys a FWC at Expo recommended that I not use the control to turn off my fridge once I got the temp dialed in, but to use the shutoff knob instead. Of course, if you are using any of the other electric in the camper this doesn't work for you.

Stalking Light said:
The guys a FWC at Expo recommended that I not use the control to turn off my fridge once I got the temp dialed in, but to use the shutoff knob instead. Of course, if you are using any of the other electric in the camper this doesn't work for you.
Charlie, I didn't get that when we did the operations run through. I'd like to hear what Stan or one of the other FWC folks has to say.

Stan?

Thanks all for the replies. The issue is I want to avoid unnecessary cycling of the fridge. I only use my fridge on overnight trips about 1 to 2 times a month. On day trips to the beach, I use the outside shower to wash off sand so I need the 12V system on without the fridge on. I did adjust the fridge to 0 but it was still running. I will verify if I can turn the knob past 0.

Stalking Light said:
Tom, told me this as well but the purpose is to save on battery power at night when ambient temp is low.

When I talked to him we were discussing getting the fridge temp dialed in and he suggested this as better than marking the dial with a sharpie. At any rate, I don't do this when I am camping, just when not using the camper for a while. In low ambient temps the thermostat shuts my fridge off anyway.

Maybe it wouldn't be that hard to add an external on/off switch.

The Dometic 65 liter does indeed turn off. Turn the temp control switch all the way counter clockwise. It is a hard switch and it takes some considerable force to turn it off. My FWC dealer told me about the hard switch and he was right. It takes considerably more force than one would think should be necessary, and that may be the reason why so many seem to be unaware that it does indeed shut off. I am aware of the hard switch and it still takes me by surprise how much force I have to use to turn it on/off. Experience and intuition lead one to believe that it may break, but it won't. It's just a hard switch. Turn it hard and it will shut off.

To clarify my comment, FWC suggested I use the cutoff instead of the fridge switch so I wouldn't have to change the thermostat setting. And yes, I can also vouch for the fact that it is hard to turn off, for a while I thought it wouldn't turn off at all and then I thought that it was maybe just my switch that was super stiff.

When I take my camper back to storage, I open the fridge, turn the thermostat off, use a towel to dry everything, leave the door completely open and turn the power completely off. With camper covered I don't worry about the battery. Pulled the tarp back twice during the winter to charge the batteries with solar.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wander The West mobile app

2020 said:
The Dometic 65 liter does indeed turn off. Turn the temp control switch all the way counter clockwise. It is a hard switch and it takes some considerable force to turn it off. My FWC dealer told me about the hard switch and he was right. It takes considerably more force than one would think should be necessary, and that may be the reason why so many seem to be unaware that it does indeed shut off. I am aware of the hard switch and it still takes me by surprise how much force I have to use to turn it on/off. Experience and intuition lead one to believe that it may break, but it won't. It's just a hard switch. Turn it hard and it will shut off.
I confirmed this last night. The main fridge light turns off but as long its connected to 12V or 110V there is small led indicator light that stays on when you open the fridge door.

Super Doody, good point on the light. Just remembered that was why I just shut the completely off. I have reason to want the use of electric. JD

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wander The West mobile app

We have had a few people call in this last month worried that their Dometic 2-Way Refrigerators we not shutting off.

These people thought their refrigerator was broken and they needed to get it fixed. We walked them through a few steps over the phone, and it looks like they just weren't turning the knob far enough.

Like 2020 mentioned, these refrigerators will turn completely off if you turn the thermostat knob inside the refrigerator all the way down, and then keep turning (with a little extra force) until the knob actually "clicks" to the OFF position. When this happens, the bright interior refrigerator light will shut off and the refrigerator compressor motor will also turn off, but the small green LED light will stay lit. The green LED light is there just to let you know the refrigerator is hooked up to 12 volt power. At this point, the refrigerator compressor motor should not come back on. If you are going to be storing the camper for periods of time and not using it, it is always best to shut off the 12V Master Kill Switch located in the kitchen cabinets. When all power supplies have been disconnjected, the green LED light will also shut off.

We are going to try and have our service techs cover this is better detail during the camper walk-through.

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

PaulT said:
Steve is right about the Dometic control. Turns down to 1, then much harder to click to off. Mine stays off unless I'm camping.
Paul
That's how mine works. I ordered a digital thermometer and intent to mark the dial with a sharpie or paint pen once I get the temp set.

Don't know if you guys have to plug into a cigarette style outlet with this fridge, if you do, you could put a switch in the outlet circuit. You just need a toggle switch rated to carry the current load. Cut the positive lead to the outlet and install the switch. Now you can turn the power to the outlet on and off. Negative wire to outlet stays as is do not cut or modify it.

Back
Top Bottom