Ultimate Furnace Thread

To be clear, a vented diesel heater is no more or less dry than a vented propane heater (like the standard FWC heaters), neither add or remove moisture from the air. It is only the unvented types (Wave, Mr Buddy) that add moisture in the form of combustion by products.

rando said:
To be clear, a vented diesel heater is no more or less dry than a vented propane heater (like the standard FWC heaters), neither add or remove moisture from the air. It is only the unvented types (Wave, Mr Buddy) that add moisture in the form of combustion by products.
Exactly! In the standard forced-air furnace, there's no contact between the air in the camper living space and the combustion process gasses.
Heat gets from the burning gasses into the camper air via a heat exchanger.

ckent323 said:
Here are some links about Diesel Heaters (dry heated air vs lots of water vapor in propane heater air - which leads to condensation).

Edit: Clarification - vented propane heaters use a sealed combustion/burner chamber and the moist air from propane combustion is vented outside.

(Propane ranges do however produce water vapor which leads to condensation.)

Comparing to Eberspacher v Webasto diesel heaters | Warmda Diesel Heaters - ph 03 9574 1900 - info@warmda.com.au -
How To Choose The Best Diesel Heater The Complete Guide---VVKB

Propex vs Espar vs Webasto Heaters For A Camper Van Conversion

The following multi part series on the many Chinese knockoffs of the Elerspacher and Webasto heaters is very informative:

Has anyone other than GrizzlyNbear Overland installed either a Espar or Webasto gasoline or diesel heater in their slide in popup truck camper? I'd love to see it was accomplished.

GrizzlyNbear Overland » The Ultimate Upgrade »

In a later video they reveal that they have removed all propane appliances from their 4WC.

craig333 said:
If my current heater ever fails I 'll look into those diesel heaters.
I plan on installing the gasoline burning model, so that I only need to find and carry one fuel as I travel internationally (same reasons mentioned in the video above). I'd love to learn from other people's experience and see how they fitted these in their pop up. So far, I've only found Leigh & Steph's install, however many have added them to their camper vans and are happy with them.

are there any propane fueled, catalytic syle heaters that are controlled by a thermostat? The MR buddy is not, but you can set the temp, and I presume the wave is the same. I have no heater now, so I am looking to add something small for my small camper.

plug ugly said:
are there any propane fueled, catalytic syle heaters that are controlled by a thermostat? The MR buddy is not, but you can set the temp, and I presume the wave is the same. I have no heater now, so I am looking to add something small for my small camper.
Yes the PlatCat is thermostat controlled. It also vents the combustion by-products outside with a small motor powered vent.

I just wanted to take the time to thank everyone for the information provided here. By reading through all of this I was able to fix my heater (new board) after trying multiple other fixes. Good folks.

Back
Top Bottom