Under solar power, does an inverter decrease charge time?

scappoosebrad

Advanced Member
Have searched many previous discussions about the use of inverters while under solar power only, but found no info about my question.

First of all, I struggle with many electrical discussions...that said, am looking for a few easy to understand, layman's responses to my question...

we were trying to charge a tablet and cellphone using the solar only system USB plugs(at 12.5 to 13.5 volt level)...to do so, we had to remove the 110v adapter to both of these devices, plug in the USB line directly to the campers "power board", and turn off the device...when done, it took 4 to 6 hours to recharge these devices--twice as long when charging at home using the 110v adapter to 110 power outlet...

My question is, if we used, say, a 300 volt, $30 inverter plugged into the 12v plug under solar power, will it reduce the charge time for these devices? Trying to decide to purchase one of these inverters if it will solve this problem...and I might add, we do not anticipate an inverter use on any other larger appliances, e.g. coffee grinder/laptop/etc. other than our cell phones, tablets, MP3 players, mini speakers...

thanks for your thoughts...

Some OEM chargers for cell phones (such as for my Samsung Galaxy phone) are designed to "fast charge" the phone, so it charges MUCH faster than a generic USB charger.

Could that be what's going on for you? And so, when not using your normal charger it's slower?

If that's the case then an inverter with OEM charger could be faster.

It is probably due to the amount of amps put out by the outlets on the camper. I was curious about that a couple of trips ago and forgot to check it out so I don't know for sure. I have never noticed it taking longer but then again I plug mine in when I go to sleep so it is fully charged when I wake up.

Optimal would be 2.4 amps for Apple devices. Older third party USB chargers used to be only 1 amp and had problems charging newer devices. I'm wondering what the amp output is for the FWC panel? I'll have to do some research.

Find out what the output amps are on the 110v plug you disconnected and see if you can get a cigarette lighter plug version that puts out the same amount. That would be more efficient than using an inverter to convert from 12v DC to 110v AC and back to , in the case of Apple, 5V DC.

I get confused with this electrical stuff too. I just went through something similar in the past.

Keep in mind that faster charging is more convenient but is harder on the batteries.

Timothy is on the right track.

You have limited power to draw on:
The default for most of these RV DC panels is 1A DC output at 5 volts for the USB plugs (5 watts) , and 3 amps at 12V (36 watts) on the cigarette lighter (Power Port) output. That 3 Amps can be pushed a bit, depending on the fusing/wiring to your panel.

In short:
Cheapest solution - Get a fast charge USB adapter and plug it into the Power Port. Like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Maxboost-iPhone-Samsung-Portable/dp/B00ISGCAJM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491232517&sr=8-1&keywords=12+v+usb+car+charger+smart

Cleanest solution - Or change out the USB adapter in your DC panel. This one (4.8 Amp version) from Blue Sea is good - https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-Charge-Charger/dp/B01BV1MTAA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491232624&sr=8-1&keywords=12+v+usb+blue+sea

Enhanced solution - The OP idea of using an inverter is less than ideal, as there are power losses every time we convert from one kind of power to another. If you got a BIG inverter and wired it directly to the battery, it would enhance the functionality of the camper beyond simply charging some small devices.

Edit: And I see Bill had the same idea. That's a nice looking USB charger Bill!

As we can see, there are a LOT of considerations when trying to figure out the best USB charger to use in a camper.

Here's a good article that not only gives recommendations but also discusses in layman's terms the various considerations:

Review: The Wirecutter
The Best USB Car Charger

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-usb-car-charger/

Back
Top Bottom