Usal Mattole or bust

craig333

Riley's Human
Decided it was time to explore the lost coast. Three day weekend and may is supposed to be one of the best months to go. Took highway 20 to 101 to umm, something to fort bragg. My shoes fell apart on the road down. Did the rest of the trip in flip flops.

Visited a friend at his cabin in Fort Bragg. Then on to Usal Beach. Had a good number of people there but I still managed to find a decent site. Only one idiot there driving in the river. Quite a few people camped on the beach. No way was I going to try and get my truck out there. The elk got uncomfortably close.

Now the question was, do the Usal Road or go back out and head to Shelter Cove via Redway. I opted to try the road. Its supposed to be doable in two wheel drive (in my Jeep, sure) In retrospect I probably shouldn't have. Pretty risky thing in an area that remote. The worst part was about five miles in (I forgot to reset the odometer so its all approximate). Found a nice stretch with some deep ruts. Still muddy. Figured if I stayed out of the ruts I'd be okay. Of course the truck slides into the ruts anyways, then into the embankment. Thud. Sounds bad. I gun it through and make it. Check for damage. Only some barely noticeable marks on the camper. Phew.

Lots of ruts, some mud, low trees, but no technical challenges. About halfway through I run into a solo motorcylist taking a break. He assures me my rig will do fine. Shortly after that I take a wrong turn and have to turn around. All of a sudden I see the ocean off to my right. Uh oh, the ocean should be off to the left. I somehow got completely turned around. Managed to drive 3-5 miles back. At least this time I found the right turn.

Had three more motorcyclist pass and one Jeep. I was expecting a lot more traffic on memorial weekend.

Found a few abandoned vehicles along the way. The broncoII looks like someone probably got hurt pretty bad.

Found one pothole in the road that was deeper than I expected. Tore part of the plastic thing underneath the bumper. Tied it up and continued on.

Somehow I lost my map. I thought the trail came out by Whitehorn but I never did figure which way to turn. Have to see Fisherman another time. Toured Shelter cove and black sands beach:( before heading on over to Mattole campground. Lots more dirt road than I was expecting. I had planned to continue on and head on to take one of the river routes back to I5 but by the time I made it to Mattole it was late and I was tired.

Oh no! Tons of cars lining the road to the campground. Figure I'm out of luck for camping but turns out they were all backpackers. Only four sites taken in the campground.

I get an early start and head out through petrolia and ferndale, stopping once to check out the tidepools.

All in all a very interesting trip. Even though I expected slow going it still took more time than I expected.

Attachments

• willits.jpg
    willits.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 543
  • usalcamp.jpg
    usalcamp.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 572
  • usalcamp1.jpg
    usalcamp1.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 554
  • elk.jpg
    elk.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 546
  • elkroad.jpg
    elkroad.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 548
On the road

Along the Usal Road

Attachments

• usalforest.jpg
    usalforest.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 515
  • becareful.jpg
    becareful.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 549
  • didntmakeit.jpg
    didntmakeit.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 529
  • didntmakeit2.jpg
    didntmakeit2.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 558
  • didntmakeit3.jpg
    didntmakeit3.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 556
More along the road

Including Yuma enjoying an adult beverage when we stopped for lunch. And why an Earthroamer and or other expedition vehicle would have not made it. More than a few trees I cleared by inches.

Attachments

• dogbeerbreak.jpg
    dogbeerbreak.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 530
  • donttakeyourearthroamer.jpg
    donttakeyourearthroamer.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 535
  • oceanfromusalroad.jpg
    oceanfromusalroad.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 532
  • roadrash.jpg
    roadrash.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 531
  • roadrash2.jpg
    roadrash2.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 527
Mattole

I think its a sea lion not a seal. Any experts here no for sure?
As if the warnings of rip tides and rogue waves aren't enough, theres the tsunami warnings too.

Attachments

• sealorsealion.jpg
    sealorsealion.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 541
  • mattolecamp.jpg
    mattolecamp.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 533
  • whereami.jpg
    whereami.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 525
  • warning.jpg
    warning.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 534
  • tsunami.jpg
    tsunami.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 519
This one should have been first.

Clean truck with the dog wondering when the heck we're going to hit the road.

Oh yeah, friend told me to get some bacon from a store right by the microbrewery in Fort Bragg. Stuff was just awesome.

Attachments

• waittoleave.jpg
    waittoleave.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 521
  • usalbreakfast.jpg
    usalbreakfast.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 494
Awesome pictures! I plan to do practically the same thing the week before the july 4th weekend.

-steve

Congrats on navigating the Usal Road Craig. Many here have wondered the conditions on that road. Looks like a fun (and adventurous) trip!

You made it through Usal??!! way to go! sounds like a good trip.

Are these the muddy ruts your talking about???

Those be the ruts.

Very nice shots!

I really like your Hawk-Cummins combo. What a way to go...

I've driven by the Lost Coast 5 or 6 times and have yet to experience it for myself. Those pics help.

:cool:

Slow going? As in doing the Sierra Trek, starting out before daylight and arriving in camp well after dark? And thats only to travel ten miles? Yes I can go slow.

But I have to be honest. I let the really low geared rigs get ahead of so I can make an "f-head" approach. Without some momentum I just can't get up some obstacles with my gearing.

Sounds like a great trip, I am glad the road is open. The road from Usal to Bear Harbor was in bad shape back in the late eighties, and from your description and pictures it doesn't look any better.

I used to work out of Usal when the State Parks first purchased the property. Spent three summers working the trail (Usal-Wheeler portion) and road decommissioning, loved the isolation. I have to dig out some pictures of the flat with cows wandering about. If you ever think of back packing their be prepared it is steep climbing in and out of those coastal ravines.

I am going back this summer as the wife is also enamored with the place...

I also plan to check out some of the lost coast in a few weeks. It's been on my list for years. I"d love to travel Usal Rd from the beach up to the 4 corners area, but I'm not sure I can in my truck (dodge 2500 2wd with a heavy pop-up camper). I should be able to if it's recently been graded. Is a 4x4 necessary during the summer?

-steve

I also plan to check out some of the lost coast in a few weeks. It's been on my list for years. I"d love to travel Usal Rd from the beach up to the 4 corners area, but I'm not sure I can in my truck (dodge 2500 2wd with a heavy pop-up camper). I should be able to if it's recently been graded. Is a 4x4 necessary during the summer?

-steve

If I remember correctly the haul out of Hotel Gulch (Usal) is a steep wash boarded bugger. I'll call the Sinkoyone Park folks (Ranger) at Bear Harbor and ask if it has been graded. They used to have the Ranger from Standish and Hickey patrol Usal but he has since retired and do not know if this is still the case.

Back
Top Bottom