USB Charger vs Inverter

lzpup

Advanced Member
Has anyone put in a 12volt to USB charger, is there any advantage to using one of these over an inverter and usb adapter? Seems like it would waste less in not having to convert to ac then back to dc, but perhaps it is such a small amount it won't matter. I am half tempted to do both.

I use several 12v to USB chargers. Two are plugged into the cigarette lighter (power ports) in the camper and a couple more in the truck. IPods, phones, Bluetooth speaker, FRS radios, InReach Explorer, BT headsets are all charged by USB power.

You're correct that it is wasteful to convert from 12v DC to 120v AC, then back to 5v DC. Touch the DC-AC inverter and AC-DC converter when operating. That heat is evidence of the waste. A Trimetric could tell you how much waste.

I also use both for those times that staying in a motel is called for or if in an all day seminar, etc. Fortunately, all the power adapters and cables fit in a gallon ZipLock and weigh little. My phone came with a power unit that has folding AC prongs plus a DC power port plug in the same unit.

Paul

I ordered a shell with no power outlets because it's super easy to add them after the fact...

I added one of these guys https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0082CXEI8

and just tapped it into the existing fuse panel. Works great! and power usage is very minimal when not being used.. If you're really curious I can check my trimetric the next time it's on to see the power usage. This way I'm just going from 12v to 5v.... Instead of 12v -120v- 5v

Be aware that there is a small parasitic draw from the USB chargers. I changed out a couple of 12v sockets to the dual USB charging sockets. These have a constant 15ma draw. Interestingly enough, they have a new Fast Charge unit that only has 1ma draw. Must have a smart circuit to disconnect the main components unless there is an actual load.

Not sure about the various plug in adapters but would assume they all have some sort of draw.

It's not much but @ 15ma 24 hours a day, it's another little electrical drip that adds up

Ditto what Stalking Light just said. I merely replace one of the power sockets in my Hawk with a BlueSea USB socket. I can turn it on when charging and off when not.

Be sure to check the adapter specs. Most have 2 ports, be sure both support 2 amps at 5 volts. Many of today's devices will require this.

Glad you mentioned that. Makes the draw I see, which I assumed was from the alarms, make more sense.

XJINTX said:
Ditto what Stalking Light just said. I merely replace one of the power sockets in my Hawk with a BlueSea USB socket. I can turn it on when charging and off when not.
Ditto. BLue Sea makes quality stuff that works well and looks good.

Back
Top Bottom