Used Alaskan Camper Fit

natjwest

Contributors
I've been looking at FWC which has fit issues on older campers and newer trucks due to the tailgate width. Are there similar considerations for Alaskan campers? I'm looking at a 1968 8-foot NCO and I have a 2000 Chevy 2500 with about 61" tailgate width, 49" between wheel wells.

Yes, there are taper issues with the older Alaskans and the newer trucks. I just finished an adjustment on a 1970 10' NCO to fit on a 2003 F-250 SD....about 2.5 inches worth.

Hi rusty, what was involved in the adjustment?

Kevin.

The rear section on the passenger side where the refer and the closet are located needed to be reduced in width by 2.5 inches. a little chore but it fits nicely now and everyone's lined up.

If you're planning on doing it...use gorilla glue, polyurethane caulking/adhesive and good quality plywood...7 ply marine or a good c/c pts exterior. You'll gain a little extra strength out of the rear frame and closet assembly.

The rear section on the passenger side where the refer and the closet are needed to be reduced in width by 2.5 inches. a little chore but it fits nicely now and everyones lined up.

If you're planning on doing it...use gorilla glue, polyurethane caulking/adhesive and good quality plywood...7 ply marine or a good c/c pts exterior. You'll gain a little extra strength out of the rear frame and closet assembly.

Thanks for that.I have also heard tell that the distance between the front of the closet and the back of the camper can sometimes restrict the forward positioning of the camper because of the wheel wells being wider on some trucks.

Cheers,
Kevin.

I've been looking at FWC which has fit issues on older campers and newer trucks due to the tailgate width. Are there similar considerations for Alaskan campers? I'm looking at a 1968 8-foot NCO and I have a 2000 Chevy 2500 with about 61" tailgate width, 49" between wheel wells.

At Tail gate measurements:

Mid 2008 to current 58.5 inches

Early 1996-mid 2008 59.5 inches

Early 1970s 54 inches

60s won't fit a 60 inch tail gate.

If you write to Dorrie at Alaska Camper she will email you a doc with all the requirements for fit.

I really like the Alaska Camper but I do believe they have not kept up with modern technology and materials to make the product lighter and more off road.

Have just purchased 2006 8 foot cabover alaskan for Chevy 2010 2500 4x4 crew cab. Also having fit issues at rear of camper. Can someone (Rusty) details how they reduced the width of the camper in the rear? One suggestion from Alaskan has been to remove the plywood side panels and replaced with thinner material (metal or thinner plywood). I looks like I only need a 1/2 inch total.

Sorry about the timing here.been a little preoccupied

my Alaskan had to be reduced by 2.5"...I'd had it in an 85 ford F250 and switched to a 2003 F250.

The siding was removed on the back of the closet. The plywood was then removed off the back of the closet and refrigerator section. I cut the aluminum siding with a utility knife. The plywood was then cut with a variable speed sawzall with a fine tooth blade. When I re-framed the interior supports I added 3/4" pine corner cleats and everything was screwed and glued with gorilla glue. I used brunnel plywood, I think it was 7 ply 1/2 inch, replaced the siding and filled in the upper void with a piece of 5/8 to match the thickness of the old shelf. Before I re-installed the old siding, I made up an aluminum angle to bridge the new section of the bottom of the shelf...aluminum to aluminum...no galvanized unless you want to do it again in a couple years. Everything fit...even the new refrigerator....and it now looks like it's going down the road...straight ;)

Fortunately I re-vinyled all the shelves right after that and it looks like it was meant to be.

BTW....the shift is what allowed the extra room on the driver side for my drawer unit.

If all you need is 1/2" I'd be looking at some sheet aluminum and cleat the interior. Maybe .060 so you'll get a little shear out of it.

Back
Top Bottom