Used Camper Alert Thread

​SCAM ALERT!!!!

​​​I have been looking for an 8 ft. CO AK for six months now. Those I have found were too far gone for me or too far away or ridiculously priced. In December I found one in the LA area on CL with only two photos. Since I live in the Bay Area, I asked for more photos and some details on it like what kind of 'fridge it had, were there jacks for it, did it have a propane tank, what about the roof and Pirelli seals and all I got back was a response that I should look for a new AK. Now this was a '75 mind you, not expected to be perfect but I wanted to avoid rotted out plywood and swollen and peeling interior.

​So...I look today at CL and by golly, there it is in Reno! Now I noticed it was listed in Monterey in about January or February but today it was listed I Reno. It had the two original pics and...a bunch more.

​Unfortunately they are bogus, as is this listing.

​I mean. c'mon, in some photos there is a yellow 'fridge door and in another a faux wood-grain. Same thing for the surface where the sink and stove are...different, one has the wood grain and the other does not. As if by magic, the cushions either have a deer hunter camo covering and in others they have an old plaid style covering.

​So I'm not bothering to email this owner again....if pics obviously stolen from a different AK are mixed with another AK, you have to wonder if the whole ad is a scam to harvest email addresses or to get someone to send a deposit?

​The fact that in each of the listings....from below LA to Monterey to Reno the price has gone UP (it's now at $5,000) has to be another signal its bogus! Obviously priced too high to begin with if it was legit...the "owner" moves around and jacks up the price $500 or more each time because it DIDN'T sell?

​Run, run fast and don't bother to respond...I got the runaround and you will too, no phone number just an CL email link...

​Too bad....it's what I am looking for....8 Ft. CO AK....granted it is a '75 and I prefer the earlier style cabinetry, if it wasn't a leaker I might have gone for it....but this smells so fishy I'm not gonna go through this with the "owner" again.

EDIT:
​..and now today, it has been taken down and I predict it will surface again in a short amount of time somewhere here on the west coast. I wonder if the person running the scam (I prefer to not call them a "seller") will come up with at least a set of pictures of the SAME unit rather than a mixture of two distinctively DIFFERENT AKs in his CL post.

Back
Top Bottom