Used camper jacks?

patrickkidd

My 1993 FWC Ranger 2 came with two large and extremely heavy cable jacks that don’t quite sit out of the way of my 2002 Tacoma’s rear wheels (sketchy!!) and I can’t travel with them. Is it ever possible to find a used four-point jack kit, the happijac 4196’s are so expensive!

I am going to be homeless for a while this winter and summer and won’t be able to store my current jacks. I’d also love to be able to remove my camper to drive my truck around while on the road.

Also, any tips on selling these old cable jacks? Seems like an odd item that might be tough to sell...

Thanks!
-Patrick IMG_0605.JPG

Hi Patrick

The camper in photo does not have corner mounted jack brackets.

The jacks you have are better than nothing. You may want to find another pair of the Brophy jacks you have for starters.

Using four of them is much safer and easier than just two.

The old Brophy jacks I use for a second camper are of knock down construction and at least could be transported more easily because of this.

Hang in there.

David Graves

DavidGraves said:
Hi Patrick

The camper in photo does not have corner mounted jack brackets.

The jacks you have are better than nothing. You may want to find another pair of the Brophy jacks you have for starters.

Using four of them is much safer and easier than just two.

The old Brophy jacks I use for a second camper are of knock down construction and at least could be transported more easily because of this.

Hang in there.

David Graves
It’s amazing how if you start asking about a problem it starts solving itself. Right after I posted that, three Atwood electric jacks popped up on CL - the first in months. And for $100 (!!!). i managed to snag them. So now it’s a matter of figuring out what wiring hardware and or controller/switch I need. One of them has two conductors and the other two have four conductors and two bipolar momentary switches.

Does anyone know what to consider when mounting brackets onto a camper like this that doesn't already have them?

I will be mounting 2 brackets to the corners on the window side (right/passenger), and then probably have to have a machine shop make a bracket to mount the third one to the horizontal underside at the balance point on the driver's side.

Or I wonder if I should just have the machine shop make me three identical mounting brackets that mount on the overhang....

I would find a fourth jack...

Plus, the driver's side is the heavier side so two would be best on that side.

The edge trim is trimmed and the jack brackets screwed to the corners with lag screws that have rubber washers like these.

20161105_132113_001-L.jpg

jimjxsn said:
I would find a fourth jack...

Plus, the driver's side is the heavier side so two would be best on that side.

The edge trim is trimmed and the jack brackets screwed to the corners with lag screws that have rubber washers like these.

20161105_132113_001-L.jpg
And why find a fourth jack?

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Stability is the first thing that comes to mind.
Stability, like it will be prohibitively dangerous to take the camper in and out of the bed or just inconvenient?

I doubt that it will be prohibitively dangerous, but certainly not as stable as a jack on each corner. Three point used to be common, but I suspect no one builds them that way any more for a reason. If you caught the single jack while loading/unloading, it might cause serious damage if the camper went over.

All that said, there are still a bunch of old campers out there.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
I doubt that it will be prohibitively dangerous, but certainly not as stable as a jack on each corner. Three point used to be common, but I suspect no one builds them that way any more for a reason. If you caught the single jack while loading/unloading, it might cause serious damage if the camper went over.

All that said, there are still a bunch of old campers out there.
Wow, the seller managed to “find” the fourth Jack. I’m getting it for $100, making the total for all four $200.

This thread has an uncanny connection with reality...

I am curious, does anyone know how these are wires originally? I ordered the socket kit. It seems as though two of these jacks have up/down controls and four 10AWG leads and the other two just have two 10AWG leads. Does each Jack with a controller hav one lead to the power source and the other to a “slave” Jack? That way I could just stand at the back of the camper with a hand on each “master” Jack instead of buying the $400 remote control kit.

Thanks!

At this point, it’s best you call the company that made the jacks to get specific info. There are too many variables for any of us to provide accurate info. Alternatively, ask Professor Google using the make and model of your jacks.

I'm in a similar boat and need to remedy the sketchy cable jack situation. I'm mostly interested in identifying mounting points at all four corners for camper jacks. I assume there is good framing in the corners but I do not plan on stripping off siding to find out. So far I have not come across a install "how-to" but anything has to be better than the cable jacks.

I just did this with my old Ranger 2. I used the screws that the guys at ATC gave me. I used a drill bit that was about 2/3 the size of the screen shaft to ensure a tight fit. I used a screwdriver to make sure I didn't over tighten and strip the aluminum. Be careful that you only have 1" of framing tube to screw into on either side.

The brackets I got were for the Atwood jacks I found on craigslist. I got the bracket kit on eBay. They were made for wooden campers and so they are larger than my frame so I only mounted using the inside holes.

IMG_0796.jpeg
IMG_0797.jpeg
IMG_0798.jpeg
IMG_0799.jpeg

patrickkidd said:
I just did this with my old Ranger 2. I used the screws that the guys at ATC gave me. I used a drill bit that was about 2/3 the size of the screen shaft to ensure a tight fit. I used a screwdriver to make sure I didn't over tighten and strip the aluminum. Be careful that you only have 1" of framing tube to screw into on either side.

The brackets I got were for the Atwood jacks I found on craigslist. I got the bracket kit on eBay. They were made for wooden campers and so they are larger than my frame so I only mounted using the inside holes.

attachicon.gif
IMG_0796.jpeg
attachicon.gif
IMG_0797.jpeg
attachicon.gif
IMG_0798.jpeg
attachicon.gif
IMG_0799.jpeg
So you just cut back the corner trim piece and mount right over the siding? Were you able to determine exactly where your stud was?

Tahoems said:
So you just cut back the corner trim piece and mount right over the siding? Were you able to determine exactly where your stud was?
That is correct. That is how everyone does it including FWC and ATC. The siding is practically paper thin and you have 1” of tubing to hit. So shoot for 1/2” from each edge, make sure you shoot straight, and you’ll be good.

It's been a few days and still trying to figure out my jack install despite ongoing research. They are Atwood manual Jack's with the bolt pattern shown (pic). It also looks like the wheelbase is several inches wider than the camper (pic) so I'll need extension plates. I've seen some part sets online it has been difficult to identify them bolt pattern. I have a call into FWC but with the holiday it could go a few more days. If anyone can help steer me in the meantime it would be helpful! 20181120_155654.jpeg2934.jpeg2912.jpeg

I applaude you for doing this yourself. I went the "easy" way and had ATC do it while I was passing through on a road trip. In my mind it was cheaper, less stressful, etc. and I got new jacks, etc.

Back
Top Bottom