Using tent sites

badtoytrd

VA...for hopefully a short period of time...with W
Has anyone parked at a tent site and if so how did you ever get asked to leave? We used to camp in the back of our Tacoma with a shell usually at tent sites without an issue. I figure a FWC is really no different than our shell except it pops up. We were only talked to once (and asked where our tent was) in the 4 years we did it. Just hoping to continue to enjoy the quiet of the tent site areas.

When I'm camping with the wife, she likes campgrounds.

State campgrounds, County campgrounds, National Forest campgrounds, BLM campgrounds, ocassionally a City campground, even some privately operated campgrounds (usually operated by native americans, we NEVER stay at a KOA or the like).

Allmost all of the public campgrounds that we frequent have the small dirt or paved pull-in or back-in parking spot plus one or more nice tent spot(s) for those that use tents.

We've never had any issues, and we've never been asked to leave because we didn't have a tent.

There are some campgrounds that have "walk-in" camp sites that are designated for tent campers only by a sign and the actual tent location(s) is usually a bit of a walk from where the vehicle is parked. Those are usually a big "no-no" for truck camping in the truck, or any type of "in-vehicle" camping.

My experiences are mostly in the Western 11 States. I've heard it could be different east of the Rockies.

I've camped at "tent only" sites in some campgrounds and even asked the ranger if it was OK before I camped there and it was never and issue. Most of what I've been told is the reason for having the tent only sites is to eliminate generators. Also many of the tent sites couldn't park a big trailer or RV. The cool thing about having a four wheel is that it's compact and doesn't even add an overly huge amount to the original dimensions of a truck with a backpack tent.

On the rare occasion I've frequented a campground I've been allowed to use a tent site as all the regular hook up sites were taken. The only caveat was I had to be able to fully fit in it. The beauty of it was I only paid the tent site rate.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

I was just thinking the same thing. I just want a nice place to park for the night. It seems crazy to have to pay for full hookups and not use them.

I have often wonder this myself, but more than that, curious about the definition of "camping" per se. If a guy drives from SoCal to Bishop and arrives there at 3-4 AM and sleeps in his car until daylight, is that camping? If not, how does that differ from a guy pulling up in his FWC or ATC or whatever and doing the same? Is no overnight camping the same as overnight parking? In Bishop there are signs that read "camp in developed campsights only" and "camp in designated campgrounds only". Obviously there is a difference between the two, but no one has given me a clear answer.

CWD

When we stayed in the large campground at Mesa Verde National Park we were told we could stay in the tent only area if we did not have a generator or a furnace. Size wise we fit but the underlying issue, as others point out, is the drone of noise.

The helpful hosts pointed out the best place in a large campground is the buffer row between the tent only and full hook ups. No generator noise from the full hook ups.

cwdtmmrs said:
.................................... there are signs that read "camp in developed campsights only" and "camp in designated campgrounds only". Obviously there is a difference between the two, but no one has given me a clear answer.

CWD
in areas of heavy use in order to manage/reduce impact agencies will require camping only in designated sites or in established campgrounds. Some of the urban Forests have had to designate all appropriate sites and limit camping only to those sites. "Designated sites" should be signed - usually one of those small signs with a tent symbol - so you know you are okay. In some Forests "designated sites" where camping is allowed are marked with a yellow post.

A campground is an established official campground. A "designated site" refers to both, inside a campground but can also include places where camping is okay outside of a campground - as long as it is clearly designated okay to camp there.

Ski, I have also been told that a "designated site" must have a picnic table. I have not seen the small tent signs or yellow posts anywhere around the Bishop areas I go except in "campgrounds". Actually , I think the signs I have seen read "developed sites only" That leaves a lot of room for interpretation.

cwd

Some Forests may use a picnic table to "designate" a site. The yellow posts are an urban Southern California Forest thing; their way of designating. I have not seen any "designated sites" outside of campgrounds in the heavily used recreation areas around Bishop either.

Okay, off to Amazon for more gear:

1 Carsonite post pounder
2 Box of Carsonite posts
3 Box of Carsonite adhesive universal tent symbol labels

Clear to camp wherever I park
Wander the West, entertaining and informative!

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

I believe the policy differs by area. At DVNP, a person joined our group, sleeping in his van. He was asked to leave by a ranger. At other places, it's tolerated as per Mr. 3Pin.

In Death Valley both the Stovepipe Wells and Texas Spring campgrounds have tent only areas and we've been kicked out of both of them for not sleeping in a tent. Fortunately we almost never camp in a campground.

Wow. I've never given this much thought. We never use hook ups. I have solar and two batteries and we leave home with a full water tank. I can't stand RV sites that are like a parking lot and tend to be noisy. We always camp in the tent section unless its hike-in sites. Theres always a parking spot for a car. We always try to take a drive around the campground to find the best(most secluded/level space for our rig). Hailing from the east we always find ourselves in campgrounds as much as we would love to be in the middle of no where on BLM land or otherwise. I don't see the difference b/w parking and pitching a tent or parking and crawling in my FWC. I would have an issue if I was told to leave especially if I were at a public site that my tax dollars pay for.

Back
Top Bottom