Using the 4X4 Slick Rock Road

billharr

Made my annual trip to Duck Creek on Slick Rock Road. Have been going since 1966. First year taking the 4WC in. Worked great and turnbuckles held up :D Pictures of my Tundra set up in camp, My Friends 1960 Scout his dad purchased new and the Out house heading to camp.

Click link below for video. Not sure if the inbeded file worked.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Attachments

• small 1960 Scout.jpg
    small 1960 Scout.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 259
  • small Out house flying.jpg
    small Out house flying.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 302
  • small Tundra camp.jpg
    small Tundra camp.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 264
Are you talking about the slick rock trail, the one off hwy 4? I always thought that was a "hardcore" trail. I love that picture with the porta poti, that's great

Are you talking about the slick rock trail, the one off hwy 4? I always thought that was a "hardcore" trail. I love that picture with the porta poti, that's great

Yes that is the same road. In 1966 it was the only way to Spicers Reservoir. Yes it is a rough road. I have the nerf bars to keep from denting the doors also get to use the skid plates.

I've done that one once with a camper.
I guess you guys didn't do the Staircase at the end of the trail??

I went around it and found a gate at the end of the trail by the Reservoir.

In the middle of the trail
SlickRock.jpg

Wow, Bill, very impressive. Camper looks awfully close to some of those rocks and trees in the video. :eek:

Made my annual trip to Duck Creek on Slick Rock Road. Have been going since 1966. First year taking the 4WC in. Worked great and turnbuckles held up :D Pictures of my Tundra set up in camp, My Friends 1960 Scout his dad purchased new and the Out house heading to camp.

Might consider something like a Porta Privy :LOL:
http://www.evergreen-outdoors.net/outback/porta_privy.htm

Not as adventurous I know, bit lighter.

I've done that one once with a camper.
I guess you guys didn't do the Staircase at the end of the trail??

I went around it and found a gate at the end of the trail by the Reservoir.

We camp by the bridge at Duck Creek. I assume what you call the Staircase is what we call the Ledge just north of where we camp. A FJ flipped there this weekend.When over it for years but it is getting real bad; did not take the camper over it. The video I posted is the last bad spot before you finish the trail. They are cutting new camp sites at Utica and Union Reservoirs. I hope they do not put in pavement :mad: Not many places to camp without going to a camp site left.

Sorry, I just have to ask. What is the story with the porta-pottie?

I belong to the Stockton Motorcycle Club (est 1924) the club has been camping at Duck Creek since the 1930's. The group has been over 40 campers, one year we were told by the Forest Dept that we would be cited if we did not have a port-a-pot. One of the members had a rental business and donated an old one and we use it once a year. I miss the days before all the people and rules we have now, but that is the world we live in.

Man, impressive. I'm amazed at how solid the camper looks on the truck with all that bouncing around. Did you tighten it down a lot or could you hear it move a bit? Don't think I'd have the cajones to toss around like that. In the Landcruiser, yes. Tundra w/ camper, no.

For those of you reading this and trying to figure out the context of these great shots....this is in the USA, Northern California, up Highway 4, which runs east of Stockton. The resevoirs being discussed are just below Bear Valley Ski Resort. It is a very cool place to explore not only in a vehicle but also on foot.

Back
Top Bottom