Utah to Prince Rupert Canada and Back

Woogybugger

Advanced Member
Hi all, My wife and 13 year old daughter are going to take a trip into Canada Next Summer. Our destination is Price Rupert so we can Ferry over to Ketchikan. Google suggests a route through Idaho, Montana and into BC. We are in the early planing s stages. Looking for friendly campsites along the way and suggestions for cool things to see and do. Lake Louise and Ketchikan are our only must stop destinations so far. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

That sounds like a nice trip.
We have spent several trips in Pr.Rupert/Ketchikan and did a lot of camping tent then later with the Bobcat.
I'll go through our trip journals and get some info for you. There are some nice side trips along the Cassiar Hwy east of Rupert.

Check out my trip blog for some of the trips in those areas.
Click on the blogspot highlighted.
Frank

Woogybugger said:
Hi all, My wife and 13 year old daughter are going to take a trip into Canada Next Summer. Our destination is Price Rupert so we can Ferry over to Ketchikan. Google suggests a route through Idaho, Montana and into BC. We are in the early planing s stages. Looking for friendly campsites along the way and suggestions for cool things to see and do. Lake Louise and Ketchikan are our only must stop destinations so far. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
Are you in a hurry? Do you prefer touristy spots or prefer to stay away from those and get remote? Do you hike/bike/paddle? What kind friendly campsites? National Park style or boondocking? How far or how many hours a day do you want to drive? Dirt roads or Interstate preferred?

Where are you leaving from? Is the route suggested by google going straight up I-15?

Woogy, just to get you started, in BC ... take a cannery tour outside of Rupert, check out the totem pole sites around the Hazeltons (and further west ...), stop at the indigenous fishery at Moricetown.

For camping we have a lot of great Provincial Parks. HelloBC is a great resource for planning, check online or send away for regional travel guides. And definitely stop and ask at one of the excellent tourist "Visitor Centres" usually found in larger towns (listed online).

Heading up I-15 from the ID-MT line, Dell comes up a little north of Lima. Around a dozen miles WSW of the exit the gravel road has penetrated the Tendoy Range along the Big Sheep Creek Backcountry Byway. There's a primitive BLM campground along Big Sheep Creek. Around 10 miles further is Morrison Lake hard up against the Beaverhead Range, where the CDT passes by. You can make a loop and come out at either Clark Canyon Reservoir or Dillon.

Just a few miles north of Dillon at the Apex exit, Birch Creek Road enters the Pioneer Range just a couple or three miles off of the Interstate. Lots of disbursed camping and some NF campgrounds in that basin. Ditto the next two exits, for Glen and Melrose. From the Melrose exit you can go around 10 miles, through Glendale, past the charcoal kilns and the Canyon Creek cabin, up a short road to Vipond Park, and back down through Quartz Hill to Dewey along MT 43 just a few miles west of Divide for a nice loop.

Foy

Foy said:
Where are you leaving from? Is the route suggested by google going straight up I-15?
Leaving from Cedar City Utah. Straight up 15 through Idaho then off through Montana. Looks like a bunch of state highway through Montana.

Vic, we will probably be staying pretty close to the highway. A few miles around here and there but not too much. We will have bikes but not looking for any intense trails. We are open to any campsites, we will want a shower every couple days so a nice RV Park once in a while would be ideal.

Woogybugger said:
Vic, we will probably be staying pretty close to the highway. A few miles around here and there but not too much. We will have bikes but not looking for any intense trails. We are open to any campsites, we will want a shower every couple days so a nice RV Park once in a while would be ideal.
If you will specify which of the considerable number of state and US highways google is suggesting, I can suggest some excellent campsites and campgrounds within a few miles of MT 278, MT 43, MT 569, the Pioneer Mountains Scenic Parkway, and US 93.

Foy

In Montana, unless you want to make time, I would get off I-15 and drive along The Front on route 287/89 to Babb, MT, then decide how you want to enter Canada. You can drive excellent dirt roads along The Front, but that would take lots of time, however one I would consider is get off in Wolf Creek, MT take Rt 434, cross Rt 200 and take the dirt road to Augusta, MT. Especially when the flowers are blooming.

Lots and lots of scenery and dispersed camping opportunities, hiking as well.

Rob in MT said:
In Montana, unless you want to make time, I would get off I-15 and drive along The Front on route 287/89 to Babb, MT, then decide how you want to enter Canada. You can drive excellent dirt roads along The Front, but that would take lots of time, however one I would consider is get off in Wolf Creek, MT take Rt 434, cross Rt 200 and take the dirt road to Augusta, MT. Especially when the flowers are blooming.

Lots and lots of scenery and dispersed camping opportunities, hiking as well.
Yes, we drive 434 & 287/89 every time we go south instead of the boring I-15. Peel off west of 89 into East Glacier and then take 49 into Kiowa and St Mary before hitting Babb. Very scenic. If you have not visited Glacier/Waterton before, you are now at the park gates! Taking the 17 into Canada is wonderful too. Heading through on the 89 at Carway gets you into rolling foothills/prairie far too soon.

Once into Canada on the 17, visit Waterton, and then stay as far west as you can. #6 is paved and takes you into Pincher Creek, and from there you can take the #3 west into Crowsnest pass. #22 is paved and takes you past Chain Lakes Prov. Park, into Longview and then paved road (#40) into Kananaskis Country - a treasure in terms of scenery away from the international tourist crowds in the National Parks.

This is the place.Yummy Bearclaws.
Frank

DSCN2992_2_2.jpg

Yes on Polebridge.
If you care to see something interesting in BC take Canada 16 to BC-37 (Dease Lake Hwy) north at Kitwanga to Nisga'a Hwy (at one time it was called Nass Road), head east to Nisga'a Memorial Lava Lake Prov Camp Ground. There is a CG at Dragon Lake prior to the Prov Camp Ground. Heading south will take you to Terrace, BC and then on to Prince Rupert.
Have a great trip.

Ice fields parkway, lots to see and do, no boondocking as you are in national parks.
When in national parks, you might want to plan ahead and get campsite reservations.

In BC along your potential route, showers are available at Juniper Beach Prov Park (W of Kamloops) and Tyhee Lake near Smithers. For more info on the various Provincial Parks, go to the Parks BC website, but those two are the ones I know of with shower facilities.

Back
Top Bottom