Vacuum (food) sealer

craig333

Riley's Human
Been thinking about purchasing one, for home and camping but I know nothing about them nor how to choose a good one.

If you are only sealing a few bags for a short time such as a camping trip, you can use zip lock freezer bags and a big pot of water. Fill the pot with water, place your item in the bag and zip the seal closed about 90%. Holding the bag upright, sink the bag slowly into the pot up to the open seal, after all the air escapes, zip the seal closed 100%.

Saves freezer space at home and prevents freezer burn by removing the air.

Not quite as good as a food sealer, but doesn't cost anything.

larryqp said:
If you are only sealing a few bags for a short time such as a camping trip, you can use zip lock freezer bags and a big pot of water. Fill the pot with water, place your item in the bag and zip the seal closed about 90%. Holding the bag upright, sink the bag slowly into the pot up to the open seal, after all the air escapes, zip the seal closed 100%.

Saves freezer space at home and prevents freezer burn by removing the air.

Not quite as good as a food sealer, but doesn't cost anything.
Sounds like a good idea - I'm going to try it out. I also use zip locks, seal it as much as I can and use a small straw to remove any remaining air.

I have a Vacmaster 215 which is overkill really for most people but I like it. If I had known of the unit K6ON purchased I would have tried one for sure. You'll save what you paid in bags in no time. I need to watch a video of it in action now just to see how it does liquids.

OK, I just looked. That thing is cool. The main problem that I see is if you suck something into the vacuum tube itself it could damage or clog the pump but that can happen to all 'normal' vacuum sealers.

roverjohn said:
I have a Vacmaster 215 which is overkill really for most people but I like it. If I had known of the unit K6ON purchased I would have tried one for sure. You'll save what you paid in bags in no time. I need to watch a video of it in action now just to see how it does liquids.

OK, I just looked. That thing is cool. The main problem that I see is if you suck something into the vacuum tube itself it could damage or clog the pump but that can happen to all 'normal' vacuum sealers.
If you suck something into the machine, it's easy to clean. On the bottom is a small door with a foam filter inside, It usually catches most "stuff", pull it out and clean it.. There's also a small cleaning tool that comes with the machine that will clean out the suction tube, and last but not least, there's a chamber on the upper left corner that will catch anything else that might get through the filter. It's clear so you can see if anything lands there. Lift it out and empty.

There's several YouTube videos on how to use it...

ski3pin said:
For xmas 2017 I bought the Lady a Food Saver FM2000

Julie uses it quite often, loves it, and it hasn't broken. We are now taking many frozen vacuum sealed homemade dinners with us on trips.
We also use the FM2000. Inexpensive and simple to operate. We almost always bring at least one sealed food item along when were out & about. I highly recommend.

I bought one at Wal-Mart (can't recall the name but it seems to be the most popular one there). Anyways, I find that the no-name type bags don't work as well as the name brand ones.
I use the vacuum sealer for everything. When I smoke a pork shoulder and make pulled pork I divide up meal size portions and vacuum seal and freeze them. We take them camping and re-heat the bag in boiling water and it comes out perfect.
When we went on our 3 week journey last summer I vacuum sealed a bout 5 days worth of dog food per bag. That allowed us to store the smaller bags in easier places than to carry one massive bag of dog food.

Back
Top Bottom