Vancouver Island/Yellowstone 2010

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie
Site Team
September took us to Vancouver Island and Yellowstone.We spent the first week on the island from Campbell River to Pt. Hardy. Our camps were the city camp at Pt.Hardy,the camp at Telegraph Cove (the one back in the trees very nice) and Elk Falls in Campbell River.The salmon were running and it was cool to see so many of the pinks in the stream at Elk Falls campground and the cove at Pt. Hardy.I managed to hook about 5 but my 5x leader broke i than switched to a 6# one and caught a 26" 8# male "humpy"(pink).Quite a nice thrill on my 7' 5 weight bamboo rod,also a few 12" cuts.Good time,next year we will stay longer and hope the fish are running as strong.The camper worked great not that i didn't expect it to do any different.The black bears were fun to watch from the camp site eating the salmon. DSCN3054.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN3069.jpg
    DSCN3069.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 252
  • DSCN3103.jpg
    DSCN3103.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 251
  • DSCN3133.jpg
    DSCN3133.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 268
  • DSCN3363.jpg
    DSCN3363.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 279
The next 2 weeks took us to Yellowstone and Grand Teton.The storm that started on us on the island we followed all the way to Yellowstone and there it turned to snow not a problem just very cold and nice to look at.We saw a lot of animals and also caught a few of the local cuts.The roof lifters worked very well.The roof went up without much effort even with the canoe and solar panel.If any one has ever had a problem with lifting their roof i highly recommend installing them.Inside or out but i like them out as they don't get in the way at the front of the camper.

The trip cost about 65 cents a mile for the two of us,gas, food ,ferries,everything. My truck averaged 18 mpg not bad i thought.We had a great time and look forward to our next trip.Our total mileage was 4230.

Frank

Attachments

• DSCN3155.jpg
    DSCN3155.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 285
  • DSCN3168.jpg
    DSCN3168.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 286
  • DSCN3171.jpg
    DSCN3171.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 304
  • DSCN3174.jpg
    DSCN3174.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 253
  • DSCN3188.jpg
    DSCN3188.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 252
  • DSCN3284.jpg
    DSCN3284.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 236
Very cool! Vancouver Island and salmon sounds like a great combo!

September took us to Vancouver Island and Yellowstone.We spent the first week on the island from Campbell River to Pt. Hardy. Our camps were the city camp at Pt.Hardy,the camp at Telegraph Cove (the one back in the trees very nice) and Elk Falls in Campbell River.The salmon were running and it was cool to see so many of the pinks in the stream at Elk Falls campground and the cove at Pt. Hardy.I managed to hook about 5 but my 5x leader broke i than switched to a 6# one and caught a 26" 8# male "humpy"(pink).Quite a nice thrill on my 7' 5 weight bamboo rod,also a few 12" cuts.Good time,next year we will stay longer and hope the fish are running as strong.The camper worked great not that i didn't expect it to do any different.The black bears were fun to watch from the camp site eating the salmon.View attachment 10202

Thanks for all the bear photos, CERT. Great trip!

Nice looking rig, too :) Do you keep your fishing pole in the white plastic pipe you have hanging off the side of your ATC?

CERT, looks like a great trip with lots of adventure! Thanks for the report and we like your rig too. Stories including 5x tippet and 5 weight rods whet my appetite! Really like the bear photos, especially the brown ones with the shoulder humps.

Actually i keen my bamboo rod in its case inside,except when i move from one fishing place to another than i place it in the small tube that runs the length of the rig on top,that way i don't have to break it down when i move down the road.The large tubes are for walking sticks and the ultra light 4 1/2' spinning rod i use some times.

Frank

Yes it was quite a thrill to land the salmon on my light weight gear.I put a bit of a strain on the old cane rod but it sure worked well.The black bear was fun to watch fishing and eating the salmon in the stream with me.Though it was on his side and i was on mine.

Frank

The large tubes are for walking sticks and the ultra light 4 1/2' spinning rod i use some times.

Frank

Cool idea, Frank. How did you mount the tube to the ATC?

I've thought about doing what you did with a tube--even went to Lowes to check out pipe--but haven't done it yet. It would be a good place for my (often wet) rear awning, awning poles and walking sticks, etc.

Stew

Stew,i mount the large diameter tubes one on each side ,on the bottom of the overhang of the camper.I use large hose clamps and made a wood or metal bracket.Its flat on top and cut to the curve of the tube.Than the bracket is screwed to the wood of the camper over hang.The hose clamp than goes around the tube and tightened down.Or you might be able to just screw the hose clamp right to the camper.I like the brackets as they hold the tubes better. The fishing rod tube is special made to fit my fly rods. I did a thread about that i think its on the second page of camper mods around july.Hope the pics help,the 4" tubes are only 4' long but can be made as long as will fit.They are caped on one end and the opening end is a screw on cap its called a clean out i think.All the materials can come from Lowes.

.Frank

Attachments

• DSCN3369.jpg
    DSCN3369.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 200
  • DSCN3370.jpg
    DSCN3370.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 214
  • DSCN3372.jpg
    DSCN3372.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 185
  • DSCN3373.jpg