Venting Turnbuckle Doors

CPT Davenport

El Pescador
Finished another small project today from a wonderful idea politely stolen from WTW. Last weekend we found the great benefit of cross ventilation by having the fans sucking air out and opening the TB doors on the shady side of the camper. We actually watched the temperature drop inside by 15 degrees in 5 minutes. Only problem was the dang bugs were getting in. Now with these deck plates and screens our problem is solved.

Attachments

• IMG_2789.jpg
    IMG_2789.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_2790.jpg
    IMG_2790.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_2792.jpg
    IMG_2792.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_2793.jpg
    IMG_2793.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_2796.jpg
    IMG_2796.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 190
Good job. I wish my doors were like yours instead of sliding. I suppose that could be a future mod.

Nice job! Just when I think I’ve done all the mods to my FWC that I can think of or seen on this website the WTW community comes up with another one.

Ship Shape! nice work. We have the velcro type screens and it sure does help...especially for my dog at night gets fresh air on floor area.

I took a different approach and made full-opening-size screens (plywood frame, window screen, plus 1/4” mesh) that mount on the outside. The screen frames have two keyholes that fit over two screws in the camper tub wall. The only irreversible change to the camper is the two small screws on the outside of the rear turnbuckle doors.

Attachments

• B56691BB-9A1C-414C-B977-3EA3DB18B7C4.jpeg
    B56691BB-9A1C-414C-B977-3EA3DB18B7C4.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 132
  • B1639758-8A94-4EC0-87E9-9CBAEEEFF804.jpeg
    B1639758-8A94-4EC0-87E9-9CBAEEEFF804.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 117
  • B8E06EB9-4CCA-46D1-A412-90950BEA6C44.jpeg
    B8E06EB9-4CCA-46D1-A412-90950BEA6C44.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 107
Jon R said:
I took a different approach and made full-opening-size screens (plywood frame, window screen, plus 1/4” mesh) that mount on the outside. The screen frames have two keyholes that fit over two screws in the camper tub wall. The only irreversible change to the camper is the two small screws on the outside of the rear turnbuckle doors.
I like how with your design you get the full opening for maximum air flow.

Cpt Davenport said:
I like how with your design you get the full opening for maximum air flow.
That was what I was after because screen impedes the airflow quite a bit. I’m very happy with how the two screw keyhole mounting worked out. It’s simple, cheap, and works well mounting the screens from the inside.

I might do this too, at least for one turnbuckle door. I might use velcro screen however I need to be able to remove it because I do store some items in the space between the camper and the truck bed.

fuzzymarindave said:
I might do this too, at least for one turnbuckle door. I might use velcro screen however I need to be able to remove it because I do store some items in the space between the camper and the truck bed.
We all have to be able to open the turnbuckle doors and any screens to secure and check the turnbuckles. Mine easily are removed from the inside by simply pushing them up 3/8 of an inch. It’s just as easy to put them back in place.

fuzzymarindave said:
I store all my power cords, water hoses and tire chains in my TB spots. Great use of space.

Jon R said:
We all have to be able to open the turnbuckle doors and any screens to secure and check the turnbuckles. Mine easily are removed from the inside by simply pushing them up 3/8 of an inch. It’s just as easy to put them back in place.
Of course- I totally forgot that. Maybe partly because I have locknuts on my turnbuckles and my camper is pretty much on full time.

There was a member making screens that could easily be removed and reattached from the inside. Think I lost one of mine, so might try something like this. The ventilation really helps. Does anyone recall what particular fabric was used to keep the no-see-ums out?

The stuff I used was just standard screen door/window material, but we don't have noseeums here. Still its pretty fine stuff.

craig333 said:
The stuff I used was just standard screen door/window material, but we don't have noseeums here. Still its pretty fine stuff.
Ahhh! So it is you from which i stole the idea. Thanks Craig! Did you use the 6" deck plate?

And I "borrowed" the idea from someone else. No, I used the 4" deck plate. Pretty sure that measurement is the inside of the hole, not the overall width.

craig333 said:
And I "borrowed" the idea from someone else. No, I used the 4" deck plate. Pretty sure that measurement is the inside of the hole, not the overall width.
what do you use to close off the screen? does the deckplate thingamajig have a cover?

Back
Top Bottom