Turnbuckle door screens

Another funky solution, I took a piece of FRP I had laying around, cut a hole to match the vent hole.
Got 2 door stops at the hardware store for $2.
ASKED my wife for an old pair of panty hose.
Simply slid over the FRP and the wedge holds the spring loaded cover open.

Attachments

• 5F369ED8-A2D0-4EEF-8D20-04D045334934.jpeg
    5F369ED8-A2D0-4EEF-8D20-04D045334934.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 285
  • 1FE85E67-D43E-4755-AC1F-8638914CDCF4.jpeg
    1FE85E67-D43E-4755-AC1F-8638914CDCF4.jpeg
    42.3 KB · Views: 286
Got my custom screens from BadToyTRD this week.
I haven’t had a chance to install them, but they are well made and feel substantial. Looking forward to getting them on my camper, my camper back on the truck, and heading to the hills to test them out.

I too think you have a great idea there badtoytrd. I do not think anyone mentioned condensation problems that can also be helped by your idea. I remember reading somewhere awhile ago that one should "crack" their access door a bit to help airflow (warm air rises, cold air falls). It has helped me. I do wonder about bugs, but have not had a problem yet. The screen you came up would certainly give a piece of mind for that. Props too for knowing how to use a sewing machine.

Installed (finally) my two screens on the front two doors. I waited as I wanted to sand and re paint the underside with deck paint. That done they are on and hope to travel soon. That look great seem strong and nice to have air at the floor level for the dog. Thanks again badtoytrd!

Just took the camper off, painted around the aft turnbuckle doors and plan on installing the screens in a couple of weeks. jd

I installed my two screens on the drivers side ports since the fold over couch and cabinets basically block the other two openings.
Installing the screens with the camper off the truck was simple, and a week later I got a chance to load my camper. Once the camper was loaded I remembered I had to get through the ports to mount and tighten the turnbuckles. I was a bit hesitant pushing the screen back and out of the way, but the tape held tight and the Velcro came loose with a bit of effort. Getting them back on was fairly easy using the four tabs badtoytrd had sewn into the screens.

I can now turn my vent fan on and cool the camper quickly, with no worry of mosquitos and other insects finding their way inside.
Thanks for a great product badtoytrd!

I really like this solution and would love to have a pair if you are making any more. We always keep the 2 doors open but kinda creepy thinking of critters getting in!

I'm a procrastinator and here in Texas I use AC a lot in my Hawk ;) I purchased my screens but not installed as yet. I am kind of waiting to take camper out and do it. That said I have no foreseeable reason to take out. Has anyone installed while camper in truck... have any tips? Thanks!

XJINTX said:
I'm a procrastinator and here in Texas I use AC a lot in my Hawk ;) I purchased my screens but not installed as yet. I am kind of waiting to take camper out and do it. That said I have no foreseeable reason to take out. Has anyone installed while camper in truck... have any tips? Thanks!
Roger, I thought about that, but decided I needed to see what I was doing and I wanted to paint around the opening. I'm glad I did as the driver's side has the camper power cord and there are 2 plastic clips that I needed to cut out notches out of the top of the screen and Velcro. I also tried to see if I could pass them through the opening and couldn't without bending them. The Velcro for the camper is in 4 pieces and I thought that might make it harder to square off. jd

Back
Top Bottom