Verizon phone access in BC ?

DavidGraves

Verizon says our old stupid phones will not work in BC.

Anyone know of a work around for international phone access in BC ?

It seems our old beater I Pad may at least give email access but I hoped for phone contact in case of emergency contact from home.

Anyone have a working knowledge of Skype or any other WEB based international phone service ?

DavidGraves

NoOrCo

No idea what phones you have, but my wife & I were recently in BC & Alberta with our Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S4 phones and iPad with cellular support, all of which worked fine. Ask if the phones work with their Travel Pass program. Travel Pass was $2 per day/p per device using our existing data & calling plan.

Paul

Or, stop in at any carrier in BC and buy or rent a low cost old style phone with a pre-paid voice plan for the time you'll be there. Might even try looking at Walmart or other similar type of retail outlet. If you have to purchase the phone, and the minutes don't expire (or even if the minutes do expire), just keep it for the next time you go up north.

PaulT said:
No idea what phones you have, but my wife & I were recently in BC & Alberta with our Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S4 phones and iPad with cellular support, all of which worked fine. Ask if the phones work with their Travel Pass program. Travel Pass was $2 per day/p per device using our existing data & calling plan.

Paul
Thanks Paul

Apparently only with smart phones.

Alley-Kat said:
Or, stop in at any carrier in BC and buy or rent a low cost old style phone with a pre-paid voice plan for the time you'll be there. Might even try looking at Walmart or other similar type of retail outlet. If you have to purchase the phone, and the minutes don't expire (or even if the minutes do expire), just keep it for the next time you go up north.
Another great solution.

Thanks

Far as I know the cheapest and fairly reliable is Speakout available at 7-11 stores in BC. I've used it for 5 years now on visits north and it's been fine. You can get a sim card for a phone you already have if that works for you.

I was thinking today, if you are planning to call back to the U.S. (sorry, I don't know where NoOrCo is located, guessing North Oregon Coast?), ask about doing that if you decide to purchase a phone in B.C. The carrier may have a plan that you can get that will allow you to do it... without a lot of cost. You might even be able to shop around via the internet to see what's available up there.

Good suggestion, A-K. Yes, there are deals to reduce the cost of the calls. Yes, you can shop via the Internet. I'm not pushing Speakout, but last I looked it was the cheapest. www.speakout7eleven.ca .

Alley-Kat said:
I was thinking today, if you are planning to call back to the U.S. (sorry, I don't know where NoOrCo is located, guessing North Oregon Coast?), ask about doing that if you decide to purchase a phone in B.C. The carrier may have a plan that you can get that will allow you to do it... without a lot of cost. You might even be able to shop around via the internet to see what's available up there.
Principally I need to be reached FROM home in the case of any emergency there.

I do live on the north Oregon coast ....my fingers and eyes just get tired sometimes.

DavidGraves

Back
Top Bottom