Virginia City

craig333

Riley's Human
Got my truck out of the shop late friday. Headed out late Sat. Camped my secret spot on the silver fork road. Oddly enough I had it all to myself, no gunfire this time. Sunday I visited friends at silver lake. Headed up to virginia city after. Never been there and probably won't go back, hence the lack of pics. Other than a mine tour where I found out they estimate only 30% of the silver/gold has been recovered the town was too touristy for me. I'd always wanted to see the bucket of blood saloon but it wasn't what I pictured in my head, and so crowded I couldn't even get a beer.

Well at least the truck was trouble free. Think I'm ready to put some miles on it again.

Craig, great to see you are on the road again! Hope the repair didn't dent the wallet too badly. Been about 26 years since we've been to Virginia City......sounds like it hasn't changed much. We have been thinking about the V&T train ride now that there's a depot on 50 in Carson.

It was so empty when we were there in may it seemed like a actual actual ghost town ;) Too bad it was so busy for you. Better ones to see in Idaho anyways and way off the path.

Craig, did you visit the Western Historic Radio Museum ?? Bar none, one of the best radio museum's anywhere.
It's worth the trip to Virginia City just to visit the museum. A link to their web page: http://www.radioblvd.com/

Spent many weekends in VC in my youth. The challenge then was to hit all the bars on C Street. I'm too old for that now even though most of the bars have turned into candy stores. I was also married there. My screenname was given me by friends who wondered why I would drive so far to see a camel race. Oh to be young again.

Only ten bars now. Probably doable but those wooden sidewalks and steep hills might get uncomfortable.

Been through there about 15 years ago. Wasn't too busy. IRRC the original Bucket of Blood burned down.

My favorite ghost towns are Bannack and Virginia City MT. Exciting history!! Back in the early 1860's Gold Rush the Masons got tired of all the killing, robbing, etc, formed the vigilantes and hung 20 some guys in as many days!! Including their own SHERIFF!!!!

<snip>

My favorite ghost towns are Bannack and Virginia City MT. Exciting history!! Back in the early 1860's Gold Rush the Masons got tired of all the killing, robbing, etc, formed the vigilantes and hung 20 some guys in as many days!! Including their own SHERIFF!!!!

My great-great grandfather was in Virginia City (Idaho Territory at the time) in the summer of 1864. The Lady and I visited in 2004. Also there in the summer of 1864 was Jim Bridger and Jeremiah (Liver-Eating) Johnson. Very interesting history indeed! Nevada City just down the road is worth a visit also.

Back
Top Bottom