Voyageurs National Park

takesiteasy

A different kind of off-road trip. For those of you in the parched west, this trip might seem otherworldly- an abundance of water everywhere- kind of the anti-desert. I hope you enjoy the report.

http://travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com/2014/06/voyageurs-national-park.html

IMG_4366.JPG

Thanks for the comments everyone.

longhorn1 said:
Great trip report. Looks like a nice area to take the truck camper.
The park itself is water-based. There is wilderness backcountry but no roads. Snowmobiles are allowed in the winter. The area around the park- especially the Superior National Forest- is great for road-based exploring.

craig333 said:
I have some neighbors that moved back to minnesota. Maybe I should go visit.
You should definitely visit- lots to do and explore.

Enjoyed the TR. That must be the "Gods Country" everyone from MN talks about. I have only been Minneapolis and south to Austin (Hormel Foods for 30+ years). Son in law is from MN and his family have a vacation home on Lake Bemidji. He says I have to go there for vacation some time.

billharr said:
Enjoyed the TR. That must be the "Gods Country" everyone from MN talks about. I have only been Minneapolis and south to Austin (Hormel Foods for 30+ years). Son in law is from MN and his family have a vacation home on Lake Bemidji. He says I have to go there for vacation some time.
Bill, you should listen to your son-in-law and head north on one of your trips home. :)

I lived in New Praque, MN for a few years in the 90's. the whole state is great for the outdoors. ice fishing is something that is great fun. and spring and Fall is perfect weather... no bugs and not quite the humidy. the lakes are everywhere and fishing perfect....

Beautiful country! Thanks for sharing.
With all that water though...I can't help but think "bugs". :unsure: But maybe they're not bad yet this time of year...?

takesiteasy said:
Bill, you should listen to your son-in-law and head north on one of your trips home. :)
Home is CA. I worked in Stockton CA for Hormel they have a plant here. Just made the journey to mother Austin a couple of times per year.

MarkBC said:
Beautiful country! Thanks for sharing.
With all that water though...I can't help but think "bugs". :unsure: But maybe they're not bad yet this time of year...?
We were so close on the end of the cold that bugs weren't too bad. They were hatching by the billions each day though. By the end of the trip, they were getting troublesome. It is a downside to the abundance of water. A good breeze is always appreciated. We made a screen room for our camper so we can still camp and not be bothered too much. I did a write-up of it here:

http://travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com/2013/06/new-awning.html

billharr said:
Home is CA. I worked in Stockton CA for Hormel they have a plant here. Just made the journey to mother Austin a couple of times per year.
Got it- I misunderstood. the comment still stands though- head north next time you are here- different world from the Austin area.

Al that's such a great trip. And yes we here out west don't see that much water,except along the beach looking west.
Remember "...the ocean is a desert with it's life underground".
Thanks for taking us along for the trip.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Al that's such a great trip. And yes we here out west don't see that much water,except along the beach looking west.
snip...
Frank, thanks for the comment. We love the ocean view, but we like our water without salt, haha. :)

Back
Top Bottom