Wander the NorthEast

buckland

Site Team
I am a very happy FWC camper in New England with our 2011 Eagle on a Tacoma. We have had a couple wonderful years camping in the North Maine Woods wilderness in the Eagle.... after years tenting it was luxury bar none. We are wanting the quiet out of the way places to sit and stare at nature (and have a beer)... This summer we'd like to plan a trip to coastal Maine and New Brunswick. We have 'done' Nova Scotia (you've gotta go to Meat Cove at the northern tip)and many spots in Northern Maine... (it's a great state of mind). If anyone has ventured to Coastal Maine and New Brunswick and have gems to share, it would be much appreciated.
PS I love fly fishing too.

Rob

I am a very happy FWC camper in New England with our 2011 Eagle on a Tacoma. We have had a couple wonderful years camping in the North Maine Woods wilderness in the Eagle.... after years tenting it was luxury bar none. We are wanting the quiet out of the way places to sit and stare at nature (and have a beer)... This summer we'd like to plan a trip to coastal Maine and New Brunswick. We have 'done' Nova Scotia (you've gotta go to Meat Cove at the northern tip)and many spots in Northern Maine... (it's a great state of mind). If anyone has ventured to Coastal Maine and New Brunswick and have gems to share, it would be much appreciated.
PS I love fly fishing too.

Rob

One of the very few FWC's n the north east. I hope to be adding a FWC to the north east as well this year.

Maine is an awesome state. Tons of paper lands to wander.

Enjoy!

Check our Mainayr in Steuben. Quiet location near many places you will want to visit.

Mooseman...where be you? Are you the guy that asked me once if I was driving by with the camper to drop in for a tour?
Well welcome to FWC in the NE! We are a rare breed but there is a guy just 20 miles from me with an Eagle as well! It is a great way to travel. I spend at least 4 weeks in the NMW fishing the remote spots.
Rob

Mooseman...where be you? Are you the guy that asked me once if I was driving by with the camper to drop in for a tour?
Well welcome to FWC in the NE! We are a rare breed but there is a guy just 20 miles from me with an Eagle as well! It is a great way to travel. I spend at least 4 weeks in the NMW fishing the remote spots.
Rob

Thanks Hit the Road! I will Google that and mark the map.

I am in NY north of the city.

I spend a lot of time in the Catskills fishing the famous East branch with the fly.

Don't have my FWC yet will order new or look for a used one seriously starting in April.

Jim

We have 'done' Nova Scotia (you've gotta go to Meat Cove at the northern tip)and many spots in Northern Maine... (it's a great state of mind). If anyone has ventured to Coastal Maine and New Brunswick and have gems to share, it would be much appreciated.

We stumbled onto Meat Cove in 2003 by accident . . . . what a treat! We spent only one night there perched up on the cliff over the ocean. Also went swimming to wash off the road grime. We have vowed to return. Our experiences in NB (two short trips) have not been that great, so I don't have any hidden jewels for you. One thing is for sure, you will have a great trip! Enjoy!

Another Mainer here, although - regrettably - one without a Four Wheel Camper. Used ones just don't come around within a thousand miles of here that often.

Rob, I was the guy that asked you about your camper a while ago. If you're looking for some nature watching, on your way up the coast check out Recompence Shore Campground in Freeport. Right by the water and Wolfe's Neck State Park which has some great hiking. As you head up the coast along route one, almost any road that heads south down one of the peninsulas of land will have some nice campgrounds. We like heading south on Rt 206 out of Bath, or Rt 26 south of Brunswick. The coast is obviously extremely popular in the summer, which can make route one drudgery, but there's so much coastline that you can easily escape the crowds.

I'll echo what Mooseman said: Maine is a great state with a ton to explore. Also, if you're in to fly fishing, head up to the Rapid River southwest of the Rangeley Lakes. Plenty of old logging roads where you can find some seclusion, and a moose sighting or twelve.

Mike

Another Mainer here, although - regrettably - one without a Four Wheel Camper. Used ones just don't come around within a thousand miles of here that often.

Rob, I was the guy that asked you about your camper a while ago. If you're looking for some nature watching, on your way up the coast check out Recompence Shore Campground in Freeport. Right by the water and Wolfe's Neck State Park which has some great hiking. As you head up the coast along route one, almost any road that heads south down one of the peninsulas of land will have some nice campgrounds. We like heading south on Rt 206 out of Bath, or Rt 26 south of Brunswick. The coast is obviously extremely popular in the summer, which can make route one drudgery, but there's so much coastline that you can easily escape the crowds.

I'll echo what Mooseman said: Maine is a great state with a ton to explore. Also, if you're in to fly fishing, head up to the Rapid River southwest of the Rangeley Lakes. Plenty of old logging roads where you can find some seclusion, and a moose sighting or twelve.

Mike

Glad you are still there Mike... and I hope you get a FWC... They are nice indeed. Thanks for the advice... we have explored some of the many peninsulas of Maine...there are so many!!! (thankfully) we will indeed check out your suggestions. We are so spoiled by the NMW camping... we love seclusion... Let me know where you are and I can maybe get up there and stop in for a coffee and schmooze about FWC.
Rob

Buckland, Wander the NorthEast....., I don't understand the lack of FWC's out hear on the east coast but you guys are a rare breed. I had a Lance camper and have enjoyed truck camping in the east for years. The last few years of hard times have caused me to sell my camper. Now I have the FWC bug. The Lance was pretty sweet but it was less like camping and more like driving around with a small house on the back of the truck. Last summer I went back to tent camping and was shocked at how I missed some things about tent camping and what little tolerance I had for other things. Now I'm ready for a real go anywhere camper. FWC seams to fit the bill perfectly. Despite the fact that I've been a truck camper enthusiast for over 7 years I've yet to have seen one in the flesh. With any luck I'll be taken a pilgrimage to Wisconsin (Go anywhere) in March to witness the reality.
Back to Maine, I once traveled to an island off the coast .... George something Island near Bath and went to 5 islands Lobster Shack for an exceptional Maine treat. I've always had the desire to see Acadia and Deer Isle since reading Travels with Charlie. I have a friend who has a place in Bingham and I've always wanted to get lost around Wyman Lake. Do you know any spots up that way that you can give me a heads up on,
Anyway I hope to join the Wander the NorthEast club and eventually dare I say it .... WandertheWest.

PS Moose Man If your interested in an Eagle, Mike at Xtreme Campers in North Carolina has a leftover new one. He's a good man to deal with, good luck.
PSS I'm from New Jersey

Dan

Wouldn't deal with that guy if you paid me.

I am looking for a FWC and will probably go at it very serious for used or look to buy a new one after April.

Good to see some other people from the North East out here.

Moose

As a New England (CT) FWC enthusiast I also recommend Recompence Shore Campground in Freeport, Me. Camped there in 2010.
Good to learn about the interest in FWC in the Northeast. My '82 Grandby last saw action over New Year's when my son spent a few days skiing in Jay, Vt.

Dan

Wouldn't deal with that guy if you paid me.

I am looking for a FWC and will probably go at it very serious for used or look to buy a new one after April.

Good to see some other people from the North East out here.

Moose

Moose,

Apparently FWC feels the same way you do. My experience with him was very good, He's knowledgeable, professional and did what he said he was going to do, no problem.
What model are you looking for ?

Dan

I am looking for a hawk.

They are almost impossible to find them in the east. Shipping from CA is very pricey.

Looks like a road trip to Wisconsin if I can't find one.

I meant insofar as states go. It's one of my favorites.

Ahhhhh

Well I look forward to hopefully checking it out

Although very busy, Acadia National Park is always worth a visit.

(Click to enlarge)
anp03es.jpg

anp11es.jpg

You'se guys are a pip! Wander the Northeast... better we name it "putz about while we can"... :p
I was sooooo lucky that there was a delivery to Wisc. and the guy kept coming all the way to Massachusetts! We loaded up in a Walmart parking lot. I am definitely lucky. I was eying the Eagle for years. I even asked FWC if I could be a distributor... but haven't heard a thing back. There are so many great spots out this way for a FWC to explore albeit it is most probably a 3 season deal... I have a few feet of snow on the ground and life is a daily chore. (hill town man) with wood heat only. I suggest all of Maine... It is a State with incredible diverse landscape... wild wood lands, ocean, culture and it is just basically a friendly place. As they say in Maine.. "Nope can't there from here ("heeah")... but.... if you go down the road a spell you can". Never give up. What's the alternative? Keep thinking it can happen!

Back
Top Bottom