Wander the NorthEast

I forgot I wanted to add a shot of the North Maine Woods... google it... a very rough area worth every needed preparation to go there. (I think the state bird of Maine is the black fly)The trout fishing is incredible.
Photo is of a nameless lake... all mine... sitting there watching the sun go down.

Attachments

• IMG_2381.jpg
    IMG_2381.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 111
I forgot I wanted to add a shot of the North Maine Woods... google it... a very rough area worth every needed preparation to go there. (I think the state bird of Maine is the black fly)The trout fishing is incredible.
Photo is of a nameless lake... all mine... sitting there watching the sun go down.

I thought this forum was for sharing information....Well thanks for the black fly tip, I once camped in Maine near the coast by Freeport and the mosquitos were like something from a Hitchcock movie. The guy who ran the campground said "this is a good night".

Nice pic. Sweet Spot, I wouldn't tell anyone either. Way to Represent, EAST COAST !

A good time to visit interior Maine to avoid the BUGS is September or October. You might be lucky and catch a little color, too.

A shot from the summit of Mt Katahdin looking down on Chimney Pond in Baxter State Park, Maine.

mk13es.jpg
(Click to enlarge)

Okay Okay... Dole Pond... And one thing to know about the top 1/3 of Maine is that it is privately managed area for paper ...ie logging... it is wild country. No roads other than logging dirt/shale... conditions can be crazy. One must pay a fee to enter and follow the rules. The North Maine Woods org. maintains campsites...rustic, ie table and a truck rim fire circle and an outhouse. Hunting season (October for Bear and Moose) can get down right crowded as there are so few sites. One can travel 100 miles and only pass a few. There are no services/gas/buildings of any kind other than for logging trucks. It is rough enough most people don't bother. Once you are in 75 miles... one finds peace and quiet and good fishing. Read Thoreau's Maine Woods. It's still like that mostly.

Attachments

• IMG_2418.jpg
    IMG_2418.jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 94
WOW , Thanks.
Your FWC must serve you well in such a wild place ?
Now I got the FWC and the North Maine Woods bug (the good kind). The fact that such a vast wild area exists here on the East makes it that much more special. I've enjoyed the Blue Ridge Mts., the Alleganies of Pa., New York state is pretty amazing, but hundreds of square miles of unpaved roads and wilderness in North Maine never made my must do list. Now I'm saving a spot on top of the east coast list. Thanks for the 411.
What time of the year would you recommend?

Stew you have a ATC and from Maine?

That is a rarer combo than a FWC in the east

Stew you have a ATC and from Maine?

That is a rarer combo than a FWC in the east

Indeed, Moose Man, it would be a rare combo, but I don't live in Maine; I live in Colorado.

I do like poking around the woods and mountains of Maine, NY and New England, though.

Chimney Pond and Mt Katahdin:
mk15es.jpg
(click to enlarge)

I have only seen one FWC in the north east. It was on the NJ turnpike.

Would like to bump into someone that has a hawk in the NE so I check me out before I take the plunge.

Me a nice fella with a Hallmark. That is one beautiful camper but a little too heavy for my 1500

Its Good to be Stew.
How about some pics of your Custom Rig.

Dan, I don't want to highjack this thread about Maine, but there are lots of shots of my rig (and plenty of other stuff) at Stew's Photos.

Dan, I don't want to highjack this thread about Maine, but there are lots of shots of my rig (and plenty of other stuff) at Stew's Photos.

Apparently, It is good to be Stew.
Are you happy that you have the small drivers side window in your camper?

Are you happy that you have the small drivers side window in your camper?

Yes, very happy. The little window lets in some extra light and I can peek out on the driver's side to see the bears and coyotes when they come by at night. If I can, I'll replace this solid window with one with a slider and screen for more ventilation.

... and I can peek out on the driver's side to see the bears and coyotes when they come by at night...

Why don't those critters come by the passenger side? Predators to the left, prey to the right...?
wink.gif

Why don't those critters come by the passenger side? Predators to the left, prey to the right...?
wink.gif

Mark, most predators know that ATCs and FWCs have a big glass window on the passenger's and (usually) none on the driver's. That, naturally, leads them to approach on driver's side. It also provides some cover so they can sneak up on the pray animals which tend to congregate on the passenger's side. Clear?

Mark, most predators know that ATCs and FWCs have a big glass window on the passenger's and (usually) none on the driver's. That, naturally, leads them to approach on driver's side. It also provides some cover so they can sneak up on the pray animals which tend to congregate on the passenger's side. Clear?

Thanks, Stew. That clears up a lot of confusing stuff for me.
Such as, why, in the 7+ years I've had my camper, I've NEVER seen a grizzly bear nor mountain lion nor wolf from inside the camper: Predators -- stealthy stalkers that they are -- approach from the blind side!
Who knew?!
laugh.gif
(well, you did, I guess...)

So I guess its good to have the small drivers side window ???

Indeed! Gotta have it, Dan, if you wanna know what critters are sneaking up on your blind side.

Wow! There is some east coasters here! I'm in NY by the Bear Mt Bridge, Mooseman you must be within an hour of me.

There is a couple of Eagles and a Kestrel just a little west of Deerfield. That is probably 2 or so hours from where you are and that much nearer the Maine Woods.

Road Hermit

Fort Montgomery?

You are 30 minutes away!

So you have a FWC? Which model?

Jim

Back
Top Bottom