Wandering around east AZ...

Advmoto18

Wandering around East AZ., south of I-40 looking for good camping sites. Preferably low use but not totally off the grid as I am solo. Just wandering around before OX West.

Currently near Show Low in a less of a gem location.

Thanks for any info!

Hannagin Meadows if it is passable. Cochise Stronghold is nice as is Chiricahua National Monument. Depends if you want dispersed camping or not.

We stayed near Show Low at Fool Hollow Lake State Rec Area which I found nice but more citified than I wanted (but we also wanted showers).

Also- I see from notes from our last trip thru the area that I was perturbed by the rules of the Tonto Basin permit system on down by Roosevelt Lake. I thought my Interagency Pass would be good but we had pay an extra $15 for a daily pass to use any USFS facility.

Also- closer to Phoenix, at Lost Dutchman State Park, we learned the lesson of how a packrat can disable your vehicle in one night by chewing through wires. We started leaving our hood up after that experience but I have no idea if that works.

Things we liked in the general area were Tonto National Monument's visitor center and ruins and the pueblo at Globe.

As far as camping, I see lots of public camping possibilities on Allstays Camp and RV app.

we learned the lesson of how a packrat can disable your vehicle in one night by chewing through wires.
Packrats are spawn of satan. Besides destroying vehicles, they can cause havoc around the home if they can get into anything. They also STINK terribly. The large rat traps, like very large mousetraps, may be good to keep in your camp gear. I keep mouse traps.

If you dont have a National Forest map of the area, I'd suggest one (or more as needed for different districts). I've found many good places to camp and explore with Forest Service maps.

Thanks for the info!

Discovered a little gem in the Black Mesa District. 26F on the rim last night! Used a lot of battery and propane!

Dispersed camping is ok until land barges show up with TV and generators!

Off grid would be nice if tame terrain. Not eager to attack technical terrain solo.

I guess each individual has to decide what their comfort range is for roads. I've found that getting past the first couple spots that require any ground clearance or rough or rocky spots strongly discourage the large campers and motor homes. I've had some great camps not too far past the places where the larger road rigs wont go.

I can understand the reluctance to push your limits. I used to go some pretty "adventurous" places years ago. Solo meant it took longer to get unstuck. :D
I've managed to see some great places without getting stuck in ages now. Having done the goofy stuff, I figured out what I can do without much risk of getting stuck now. One of my best tricks was driving into a spot in the dark and getting buried to the frame in mud with my truck. I couldnt get it out myself. The chains on the front wheels couldnt be seen for all the mud. The rock roads I built under the wheels after jacking the truck up with a hi-lift jack werent enough to get me out. It ended up with getting a ride to town, calling a friend who came out with a chain saw,.....

I hear you Mala. But at 60yo , retired and still 3000+ miles until I get home, I rather not have to do all those things you mentioned again. Been there and done all that. It can be fun. But not a fun I'm looking for today.

That sort of fun lost much of its luster for me quite some time ago. I like getting back in some places that require the right vehicle to make it easy, but I dont like taking chances on getting stuck any more.

A basic 4wd gives some clearance and allows access to some nice places, though I rarely actually use the 4wd.

Now those are my kind of spots as well.
Rode about a mile down the FR to Child's. That was enough for me with still 9 to go to the turn. It was certainly do'able but was there a gem at the end? I will never know. Likewise I give a track about a mile to ease up to keep land barges out. But I saw no let up as far as I could see and it was one rough track. I still wanted to be able to open my beer sometime tonight!

A friend that uses his hardside camper to sleep in full time while he is home in Texas hangs women's stockings filled with mothballs off all four corners of his truck. They hate mothballs. Just don't forget to remove them before you drive. While preparing for his summer trip to higher elevations he found a small nest of mice under the carpet in his motorcycle sidecar. I've been using them on the weekends and have a container to keep them in. jd

Back
Top Bottom