Wandering the West for Pastries and other Baked-Goods and Sweet Treats

I also had to throw in the Frontier Restaurant in Albuquerque, NM. Their cinnamon rolls (and their entire menu) are legendary.

56-223971-frontier-restaurant.jpg

Our Montana wanderings always include a visit to Wheat, MT, located at the junction of I-90 and US-287, just outside of Three Forks. The giant wheat farm headquarters/mill/bakery/restaurant/coffeeshop features fresh baked goods, including cinnamon buns as large as my head, and a wide selection of mixes for home baking and all sorts of pancakes.

Truckee Bagel, just off Hwy 80 & 89 South on the west side of, you guessed it, Truckee!. Turn right at the McDonalds :oops:
New York style bagels, apparently the best west of the Mississippi. Their everything bagel with salmon, albacore or turkey will set you right for your next adventure down the road.

Delish is delicious :) They are in So Oregon and have a minimum 3-day pre-order for any of their products (or else there is a "rush" fee). They are a home-based certified domestic kitchen that does mostly semi-custom work, so nothing to-go for pick up. If you have a plan (know a party is coming up) then given them a jingle or email and they can have an order ready pretty quick and they have the best cinnamon rolls, cakes, etc. that I've ever had (Sweet Life in Eugene is probably a close second).

http://delishoregon.com

Hmmm, no listings along 50. I guess I'll just have to take my chances. Maybe I'll find something to post here.

craig333 said:
Hmmm, no listings along 50. I guess I'll just have to take my chances. Maybe I'll find something to post here.
International Hotel in Austin and the Roadrunner Cafe in Dayton both no longer make cinnamon rolls.

Fat Smittys. On highway 101 in Washington next to the Port Townsend turnoff.

The biggest burgers you have ever seen. Awesome locally sourced food. Cash only though.

Vic said:
...If there was a contest for the most fattening thread, this one would be in the running.
You're welcome -- I try to help any way I can.
:D

Shoot, saw that Fallon post too late. Never did find any but the rain may have had something to do with that.

My wife would kill me for divulging this but the best bakery in the NorCal foothills is Andrae's in Amador City on the old Hwy 49. We always, always stop there when headed up to Hwy 88 towards Carson Pass. Man, I love that place.

daverave said:
My wife would kill me for divulging this but the best bakery in the NorCal foothills is Andrae's in Amador City on the old Hwy 49. We always, always stop there when headed up to Hwy 88 towards Carson Pass. Man, I love that place.
I think I just gained 2#s reading their menu. Going to put that on the list of places to stop.

A bit out of the way, but if you're wandering into Capitol Reef NP, check out the historic Gifford homestead near the Visitor Center. The little shop sells great small-diameter fruit pies. They're excellent, and it's a long way to another bakery anyway.

I thought I posted the bakery in Homer Alaska,don't see it here so. I know it's a long drive but if you get up that way the Two Sisters bakery in Homer is another one of those not to be missed.

In Haines Junction Yukon on the Alaskan hwy there is the Village Bakery. We first found it in 1992 and every trip since have stopped there.
They have great bakery items and breads and have lunch items I believe.Not to be missed.

We found it a good feeling that after our first stop 24 years ago that it was still in business. So many of these great places are gone the next time you visit.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom