Wanna Go Solar

the fisherman

Big Time
Recently I upgraded the solar system in my Granby, I am left with a Morningstar SunSaver- 10 controller, it's about 6 monts old, it's the kind of thing that will sit on my work bench for ever. So I would like to give it to someone who wants to solar power their camper, I would rather it would be someone on a tight budget. First come first served. Send me a PM.

Wow, how generous of you.

would you mind sharing info about your new system and why you upgraded?

Would love to hear. Pics a very nice bonus!!!

thanks

dave

Very generous offer. If had the time to spend traveling I'd be interested. As it is I probably won't see the need till i retire.

It's No Big Deal

first off CJ Rockcrawler was the first respondent, which means he gets up before the rest of you guys , I got an e mail from Wanderthewest web site to unload my PM box, so we know your needy. The reason I changed out the controller is that I went to a two battery system, my new controller will maintain two batteries at the same time, 90-10/50-50,also includes a battery condition meter that also shows solar rate of charge and battery temp. Pic. available at the "WHAT'S IN YOUR CLOSET'' post. The panel is now 105 watts. To anyone who is thinking about solar,first put 32# on your roof and lift it, for some people it's going to be too much. I think the rear of the camper is best, better leverage. There seems to be a lot of dissatisfacton with Optima Batteries on this site. I have six in various trucks and boats, the red tops in my truck are four years old, no problem. Warranty problem, shoulda' bought at Costco,cheapest price,and if you do have a problem, you get your money or another battery, no questions. Any questions, just ask

Why Do I Believe You

You see, Optima has what turns out to be the best warranty in the business, just don't call Optima.

Still working.

10 years ago I put a Blue Top deep cycle and a Blue Top starting battery in the Toyota. I have not had a stich of problems as of yet. Wonder how much longer they will last? I say I got my moneys use out of them.

Actually... according to Jay, I'm the young whippersnapper in the group so I was actually up LATER than everyone and sent off the PM while the rest of you had visions of sugarplums dancing in your heads...

Thanks again Fisherman! Now I just need to get the $$$ together for the solar panel. Unless, of course, you have one of those that you would like to donate to the cause as well!

Kyle

Message From The Middle Of Nowhere

I will put the controller in the mail on Thurs. when I go to town. Got your PM There is one string attached, you have to post your install, with pics. of course.

Rockcrawler

I sent the controller today, by the US postal service, you should receive within two weeks.

Great... thank you Fisherman!

No problem on the pics for the install either. I have a some pics I need post of the various mods I have been working on as well. Battery box, couch, fan, power inverter, awning... I'm sure there are a few other things as well, but pics will have to wait until I get back from our trip. I'm on the road for work this week and have a day or so at home before we're off for vacation! Woo hoo!

Kyle,
Have fun on your trip. I cant wait to see all the mods. We'll be up in the Show Low area at Buffalo Crossing for a few days.

We'll be coming through Show Low on our way back... I think we are camping there on the 14th.

FWC's solar option..or something different?

Thinking about a new camper and am looking @ (OK, am over-"anal"lyzing again as the wife would say) the solar options available.

As you probably know, FWC's option is $740 for an 85 watt panel w/controller.

Any recommendations for what else $740 might buy in this area...or is the unit offered from FWC about as trick/complete as that amount of $$$ can buy anywhere else?

DIY vs. FWC

http://www.solarbuzz.com/ will give you the current retail price per watt of panels. It is about $4.80 per watt. So an 85 watt panel would be $408. You don't need more than a 10 amp charge controller, which you can get for less than $50, and there is probably another $50-$100 in wire and safety stuff. So you could duplicate the FWC set-up for about $600 incl shipping and tax but you'd still have to do the install yourself.

I wanted more watts, a fancier charge controller and some bells and whistles so I did my own set-up. You can see it here: http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1152. It cost me about $1000 plus my labor. $700 of that is just the panel.

I just finished reading your thread bob. Very nice...and a very clean install.

How'd it work for you on your Baja adventure?

thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Unfortunately, due to some medical problems my wife is having, we had to postpone the Baja trip. We have been out on a couple of long weekends and the solar set-up worked just fine. With the 130-watt panel and a 105 Ah battery, in So CA, in the summer; we can leave everything on all night and still have a full battery by mid afternoon the next day.

Sorry to hear of the wife's health woes, bobg333. I wish her well.

Found this page: http://www.wholesalesolar.com/RV.html

From my noob'ish observation, the first system @ 85 watts seems somewhat comparable to the solar option @ FWC. (correct?)

the 135 watt system shown on this page is only a bit more than the FWC priced 85 watt system.

Folks....any ideas how complex the install on something like this might be?

any info appreciated!

mtn-high

Found this page: http://www.wholesalesolar.com/RV.html

From my noob'ish observation, the first system @ 85 watts seems somewhat comparable to the solar option @ FWC. (correct?)

the 135 watt system shown on this page is only a bit more than the FWC priced 85 watt system.
mtn-high

Yes, the first one looks like the FWC kit to me. I think they do use a SunSaver controller. The panel and controller in the second package are the same ones I have. I like this controller better because it includes a digital meter that will read out your battery charge state as well as the panel output.

One thing to think about from an installation standpoint is that if you get the kit as a factory option, FWC will install the wire up to the panel in a way that you can't really duplicate in a retrofit.

Back
Top Bottom