Warn hidden mount winch

Please say no to hidden winches!

I know the concept is attractive, but it is critical for safe winch operation that you have easy visual and tactile access to the drum, to ensure the line is spooling properly and to be able to correct issues if necessary.

With that said, it sounds as though you may have simple space issues that preclude the installation of a standard winch bumper. But hidden mounts do compromise function and safety.

Thank you for the feedback. I agree completely and you are correct that I do have some overall length concerns. I should have also described the type of terrain we will be navigating. We won’t be traveling any true off road trails or red rock, rather we will be traveling US forest service roads/provincial forestry trunk roads. I want to add a winch as added safety as the truck (2003 Sierra 2500HD) is only 2WD. I would much prefer a 4WD, But the truck is in amazing condition/low mileage and an incredible deal...so, I’m thinking I will add the winch, an e-locker and some maxtraxs and that should be enough to get me out of trouble. Having said that, there is no point in adding the hidden winch if it’s inappropriate or not a good product.

^ I have a warn hidden winch but it's designed differently in that the oem bumper is moved ~5" forward and the winch tray is behind rather than underneath the bumper. The drum is accessible from the top - I agree this is an important feature.

Pic from the warn site, fwiw

Anyway the point of my post is that the built is stout and the fitment good so I'd be reasonably confident with the mfr.

If length is critical, you're thinking 9k winch and there are two people travelling I'd suggest considering a multi mount if you haven't already.

https://warn.com/truck/mounting-systems/multi_mount.jsp

ON EDIT: not requiring a front plate in AB, maybe you could cut out part of the bumper for a window/access to the drum. IDK ... this made my think ...

131_0811_05_z%2B2000_gmc_sierra_z71%2Bdrivetrain_install_05.jpg

Fellow Viking,

It's not the quality of the winch that is in question, just one's ability to safely use it, which should include the ability to access the spool and the line on it. You can use the hidden winch as long as you're careful to properly re-spool the line in even, tight layers as soon as possible after employing it.

A diff lock will do you a world of good, so will the MaxTrax. Above all, buy a really good air compressor and a set of automatic deflators so you can air down your tires appropriately for the conditions.

And a shovel!

More information here, and here, and here.

As with any recovery tool a winch needs to be used properly. As all have stated proper and ease of use is important. Up until last weekend I used mine mostly for others to pull them out. However in slippery mud last weekend I had to pull myself out twice.

I did learn that I will go with synthetic for easier use. Steel is much harder to rewind properly.

That said I really like my Warn Hidden winch. I have one on my F250 and my Tacoma... like the stock look and works as needed. If I was a Crawler or type using a lot I might go with ARB like on my Jeep.

Attachments

• frontinstalled.jpg
    frontinstalled.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 90
  • sidemount.jpg
    sidemount.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 104
Well, change of plans...I dropped by my local 4WD parts and had them quote the Warn hidden winch and a Warn multi mount and it turns out to be cheaper to get the multi mount, wired for both front and rear and including a front receiver, than to go with the hidden winch. So that’s the direction I’m going to go.

^ beauty ! and it will keep you fit.

now you just need to find a place to store it :giggle:

Be aware of the fact that if you are not doing a straight, or nearly straight pull, those receiver winch mounts can bend to the side.

That's a lot of truck for a receiver mounted hitch. However, should work great for a tug to get you moving again!

As already noted, use care with a receiver-mounted winch to keep the pull straight. Also, the wiring from a front battery to a rear-mounted winch needs to be massive to carry adequate amperage. Two-gauge won't do it.

Back
Top Bottom