Water container suggestions?

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure
Site Team
Can someone suggest a multi-gallon water container that has some kind of spout that fits in the FWC water port? I like to refill at springs occasionally and the one I have now is almost impossible to get at the right angle to pour into the FWC port.

Also, I'm blanking here - there must be a better word for this thing than "port" :D

Also, I'm blanking here - there must be a better word for this thing than "port" :D[/QUOTE]

How about fortified wine:p
Sorry couldn't help my self.

How about fortified wine:p
Sorry couldn't help my self.

I filled the FWC water contain with fortified wine once. Not recommended.

Maybe a simple funnel (a big a$$ one) would solve your problem? Just thinkin outside the box a little.

Maybe a simple funnel (a big a$$ one) would solve your problem? Just thinkin outside the box a little.

Might be the simplest solution really.

An Alhambra 5 gal water bottle with a hand pump. the bottle is free if you take an empty from work.

What size is the water port (I don't have a rig yet)? Could you just stick some plastic tubing (such as you can pick up from home depot, etc.) over the spout of one of these collapsable water jugs http://www.rei.com/product/708992 and then just stick the tube into the port? Could set the jug on top of the camper to gravity drain it...

One time i had to fill the tank on the road. I didn't have anything so I used a 1 gallon water jug to hold the water and a 20 oz plastic soda bottle cut into a funnel to pour the water into.

Now i just keep a funnel in the camper. to help make the angle better i heated the funnel and reshaped it so that it turns up more.

Yeah b team that really is the problem, its a funny angle of attack and its pretty high off the ground. I'm sure I looked pretty funny trying to hold a 5 gallon container over my head and get the spout into the port and hold it all in place just right.

Dave that siphon might be just the thing.

Just a good piece of plastic hose in the jug on the roof siphoning down, seems pretty simply. Being new here I haven't thought about this issue but this seems good.

Out on the road I use a funnel with a peice of heater hose to shove down the hole and turn the funnel up.

In the garage use a 5 gallon water jug and took off the valve and have a length of heater hose and use a ladder and walk up and stick it in and it drains out fast.

I've thought about it, but haven't tried yet

I too have considered this and think that a 2 liter soda bottle neck would fit in the filler port. I haven't tried it yet, it's just a thought. I don't buy soda in such large quantities. If beer came in 2 liter bottles I would have an answer by now. By-the-way, I'm not suggesting filling the tank with beer, but to use a rinsed out bottle to fill it with water.;)

I've seen things that will allow you to screw two bottles top-to-top for elementary school science classes. Because the screw-on top for a 2 liter bottle is pretty standard, there must be something out there with a tube on the end that screws onto a bottle. If nothing else you could make a funnel from the top of a soda bottle with such a device.

most major plumbing suppliers carry a variety of clear tubing sizes - find one that slips over yourspout & into the port & pour away. That said I know from experience that your arms do get tired holding 5 gallons up in the air that high so some type of syphon device would be trick.

Doug

This works well

I have filtered water at the taps in my house but not at the outside faucets so I routinely fill the tank in my Bobcat with one of these. With a 3 gallon capacity it's easy to handle and the tapered spout fits into the fill port on the camper.
http://www.rei.com/product/605745

Attachments

• 605745Lrg_1.jpg
    605745Lrg_1.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 413
That's just about perfect.

I have filtered water at the taps in my house but not at the outside faucets so I routinely fill the tank in my Bobcat with one of these. With a 3 gallon capacity it's easy to handle and the tapered spout fits into the fill port on the camper.
http://www.rei.com/product/605745

I ordered one shortly after seeing this. Shipping was kind of expensive, but what-the-heck.

I've used the collapsable clear containers, and best thing to do is get a piece of hose that fits snug on the spout, about 2 feet of clear hose. This way you can see how fast the flow is into the Water Fill of your camper. Lots of good ideas, the other thing I use is the collapsable 5 gallon containers with the spout valve you turn 90 degrees to close. I fit a 2 foot and 3 foot 1/2" ID clear hose onto the spout and use the 2 foot for filling the tank onboard and also the 3 foot 1/2" hose fits my faucet in the camper so I can fill the container from the faucet in my camper to use by the fire in case there isn't a water source nearby to draw a fire bucket full of water.

Back
Top Bottom