Water Heater

Chukar Hunter

On my last trip I fired up the water heater for a nice shower on the last day and when the water came up to temp (not over heated) the relief valve opened up on the top. I don't think it was too hot or over pressured but maybe I have created my own problem. Over the years when I drain my heater I have opened the valve to vent the tank so it would drain faster. Did I weaken the spring and cause this problem? Or do this valves go bad and need to be replaced?

I've had problems with the pressure valve on my home water heater after opening it for a test. Sometimes it just doesn't seal properly after being opened. I think it's probably corrosion or debris on the sealing area.

I will try it again and see if maybe it was no air in the tank. sometimes when filling my holding tank I turn on the pump and open the valve to get as much water on board as possible and maybe I let all the air out of the heater tank by doing that. If not I guess it might be time for a new valve and for me to quit messing with it.
Thanks for the suggestions I will let you know what happens

Well I tried it a few more times to be sure it was not the lack of Air in the tank but no such luck, the valve definitly needed to be replaced. Not a difficult job at all. About $20 for the valve, remove the heat shield for room to work and took about 10 minutes total time.
I have learned a lesson to not use that valve time bleed or drain the tank

Back
Top Bottom