Water Pump Trouble- Not Running for Hot Faucet

portermoab

Hi- I'm trying to get my camper ready for a trip and I'm not able to get the hot water tank to fill. The Fill valve is open and the Drain valve is closed, but the water pump won't run when I open the hot water faucet. It runs when the cold faucet is turned on but running water with both faucets open (5-10 min) doesn't seem to kick on the pump for the hot water side. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Well, it sounds exactly like exactly the same problem that I had with my hot water. It turned out that the check valve, which is on the fill side of the hot water tank, had failed so that the tank couldn't fill.

Very easy to fix by replacing the check valve, which is available online and at RV suppliers.

Here is the thread about it: #13

Here is the part that I ordered: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HJ6P0Z8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (Valterra 1/2 Inch P23415LF Brass 1/2" Check Valve x MPT)

Also, here's a rather pedantic thread about plumbing in general, but it has pictures of the check valve: #1

Oh, and whatever you do, DO NOT turn on the hot water heater until you have water coming out of the hot water side of the faucet!

You can fill the hot water tank through the city water port. What year is your camper? I'm a bit confused by your description. First, the fill port should be closed. Second, the valve knob should be perpendicular to the pipe to prevent water from draining back into the main water tank. Not sure why you have both faucets on. To fill the hot water tank you need to turn on the hot water faucet only. It would be very odd for a blockage, so based on your description, I would suggest giving it another shot.[emoji846]

If you choose to fill the hot water tank via the city water fill make sure you are use a pressure relief gauge or you may blow your lines apart.

I snoozed while editing and others have posted with good info.
----
Not sure what is going on there.

Be sure the hot water tank return to main tank valve is off before starting this so that the hot water doesn't drain back to the main tank as you are filling the hot water tank.

Attach the fresh water hose to the female hose connector on the camper. Remove the grey water drain and remove the sink stopper. open the hot water valve in the sink and turn on the fresh water to the camper. The hot water tank will fill in a few minutes as indicated by water flowing smoothly into the sink and out the grey water drain. Now you have a full hot water tank.

Turn off the fresh water hose and remove it from the camper so the next step requires the pump to move water. Open the hot water faucet and turn on the water pump. Is the pump running as the hot water flows?

If not, crack open the cold water faucet to run water into the sink. Does the pump run?

If the pump runs, turn off both faucets and wait for the pump to stop. Now open the hot water faucet. Water should run and the pump should cycle on and off.

If not, report back on results.

Paul

Charlie nailed it. I pulled the check valve off and the top part had popped off of the valve above the spring so it was stuck closed.

For reference, attaching via city water (with a regulator) wouldn't fill the tank either, as that valve wasn't letting anything through. Also, it's a 2018 Raven and the fill valve should be open when filling/using the hot water tank (parallel to the line) and the drain valve should be closed (perpendicular to the line) unless draining the hot water tank back into the main 20 gal tank.

Thanks for all of the quick help. I love this forum!

Awesome. One little piece can sure be a PIA. Thought I had the way to bypass by going city water. I will file that away. Can you post a picture of the check valve? Glad you are back in business

We have a 2014 Grandby. We have 2 valves. One shuts off water to the outdoor shower. The other is the valve to drain water from the hot water tank back to the main tank. What is this fill valve you are referring to? I just run a hose into the fresh water port to fill my tank.

longhorn1 said:
We have a 2014 Grandby. We have 2 valves. One shuts off water to the outdoor shower. The other is the valve to drain water from the hot water tank back to the main tank. What is this fill valve you are referring to? I just run a hose into the fresh water port to fill my tank.
The upper valve in the first picture of this post: https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/21579-2019-hawk-plumbing-parts/?p=251796. It’s the valve in the line from the cold water manifold to the bottom (fill) of the hot water tank.

Borrowed Charlie's photo linked above and highlighted the check valve for future reference. It's the brass fitting circled in red. My 2018 Raven has it in the same location.

F8F473DA-F7D4-4D4E-BEDD-81F13F54718D.jpeg

My 2015 camper has the old PEX plumbing, which is much simpler and is much less prone to freeze issues. Also no check valve to worry about. Fancy and high tech are not always better.

Dean

All,

Semi new to the forum, actually my 1st post.

I have a 2021 Hawk i bought last year. Loving it, feel I'm not using it enough :)

Anyway, i am now experiencing the same issue, good flow of cold water

Pump kicks on and off as I turn faucet on and off (cold water)

I get NO flow or pump activation when trying to get HOT water.

I thought check valve as stated in this thread, liked all the images, however it seems either i don't have any check valves, or they are located somewhere else that i cant see. (see photos)

Any ideas, suggestions

Jim

Attachments

• Capture 1.jpg
    Capture 1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Capture 2.jpg
    Capture 2.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 59
Apologies, as I cannot help with your problem, but I did want to welcome you to WTW.

I’m pretty sure one of the FWC owners will have the answer.

Dont forget, we love pictures of campers! :)

Thanks for the warm welcome.
I am still trying to figure out how to navigate thus forum (1st one I ever joined). That said I did figure out the issue. Apparently they switched to a full plastic check valve that just.looked like an extension. See photo. Circled is the check valve
I'll add some camper pics once I figure a better way to resize

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230614_205553_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230614_205553_Gallery.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 20230614_210305.jpg
    20230614_210305.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 34
veryactivelife said:
My 2015 camper has the old PEX plumbing, which is much simpler and is much less prone to freeze issues. Also no check valve to worry about. Fancy and high tech are not always better.

Dean

Ditto...."sophistication breeds vulnerability"....if it ain't there, it can't break... :cool:

Back
Top Bottom