Water Pump

dakozicki

Advanced Member
I am looking for some fresh water system advice (2015 Hawk). In the past, I could turn on the fresh water pump and it would run only when the water was on. Over time, it got to the point where it runs almost constantly even though the water is not on. I have not found any leaks. Do the pressure shut off sensors wear out? Can it be replaced? Is the pump worn out? (I still get water when I turn on the faucet.) I hope one of the experts can help me.

Yes, the intermal diaphrams / check valve can get old and allow preasure to leak back, thus the pump running to bring the pressure back up. Rather than running constantly, the first sign of pump problems is usually an annoying intermittent running of the pump without any water flow, but if you have reached the point of the former then it is time to replace or repair the pump. Unless you know or can figure out exactly which part has failed, then the best bet is to buy the kit that replaces the entire pump short of the motor. With my pump that kit was $65 plus shipping (EBay). A new pump was $85, I bought a new pump.

Boonie

Thank you for the responses. I checked all of my fittings and found them to be tight. After receiving advice here and on the FB page and some internet research, I used a 5/64th" allen wrench to adjust the pressure switch on the top if the Sureflo 4009 pump. After about 3 clockwise turns, the pump now shuts off and stays off with the exception of some short very intermittent cycling. The pump may be going bad, but for now it seems to be working as well as it ever did and does not run constantly with the water off.

My pump started to exhibit this behavior when I ran the water tank dry. I believe this introduced air into the system. The pump was still a bit twitchy even after refilling the tank. I did some purging and it seemed to return to normal.

Per dakozicki's post, we were experiencing the same thing with the water pump continually running, and we focused on figuring out how to adjust the pressure switch, or even figuring out which allen screw was the pressure switch. (I thought the wires were a good hint.) Anyway, this video was really helpful from Rocky Mountain FWC. They were addressing a different problem: the pump cycling too much during a shower for inconsistent water temperature, but adjusting the water pressure switch solved that, and also solved the pump running continuously. We feel victorious. https://www.doityourselfrv.com/adjusting-pressure-switch-on-shurflo-water-pump/

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom