Water Solutions

doc

Advanced Member
We find one of our rate limiting steps is water supply. With even rationed consumption, we can stretch the 20 gallon tank to 3 nights max, but that is still cutting it close.

We've (regrettably) stayed a night in an "RV resort." Upsides were: hot showers and beach access. Downsides were: a lot. We also felt way out of place. This was an easy way to fill up though.

We've stopped at market and bought 10 1 gallon jugs, which worked, but was a bit of a hassle and an extra stop.

Now, I'm going to mount an AT water can holder on the jack bracket. This will be an extra ~ 5 gallon reserve and I can fill in campgrounds with potable water...

What are other people doing to filling up while on a trip?

Mickey Bitsko said:
Curious, why such high h2o consumption?
Majority is used washing pots/pans/dishes after meals, which occurs twice, even three times a day. We have 4 people and I mostly cook something for breakfast (bacon/eggs/potatoes OR pancakes), plus the coffee press. So yea... mostly dishes... Hand washing after that. Maybe we're on the extreme for our water use?

Consumption does seem a little high, but is what it is.
As you said finding and filling when you can.

We went to Colorado for 2 weeks Sept/Oct and had over a half a water tank left. 4 years of camping and never come close to running out. We grill most of our dinners, sandwiches for lunch, and oatmeal or grill breakfast. Plastic plate with a paper plate. Easy to throw out the paper plate. We fill a plastic bowl with hot water and soap and then a quick rinse. You probably need to revaluate your water usage.

Over the last 13 years I have developed a system that keeps me out a week or so before I need to fill up! Most of the places I go don't have potable water sources, so I always fill up when I have the chance. Okay, I use different on board (4) sources for different purposes. (1)The 20/6 main tank is used for hot water for dishes and hand washing/bathing and shaving.(2)I carry a 5 gal gerry can of fresh water that I use for dog and coffee water.(3) I have travel water (driving/hiking/drinking) that comes from the case of bottled water and (4) a few canteens. I always have some bottled water in my cooler and frig. When the gauge on the water tank hits around the 1/3 mark , I empty part of my 5 gal can into the tank to makes sure the hot water tank does not melt! I also use the 5 gal can to fill up the main water tank when fresh water is available usually about 1/3-1/2 a can at a time because any more and it is to heavy to lift. It may sound complicated but by using different sources for different purposes I can stay out and not run out of water. I also carry the usual water purification stuff just in case. It is up to each person to come up with a plan what works for them! I also use a camping/retirement sched. where I eat when I am hungry and also use paper plates/silver wear when i can-they don't weigh much and you can burn them :p ! Hope this helps and happy WTWing!

Smoke

Smoke

Four people, thats a lot. Thanks for bringing this up. I keep forgetting to purchase a water thief and I've found myself in need of a longer hose many times beside not really wanting to use my drain hose for fresh water. I can carry either gas or diesel or water in my holder and water would probably be the most useful most of the time. I've never needed the five gallons of diesel but it does offer a certain piece of mind though.

We have a shower, so when using it we can go through a significant amount of water. I have a 25' 'zero gravity' hose and a water thief that helps with finding places to fill up, but doesn't always work. Many of the faucets at public campgrounds seem to have been specifically designed to stop you filling tanks (for good reason). As an alternative, I just purchased a small 12V submersible pump and have a 20L collapsible bucket. The idea being to fill the bucket anywhere (even a restroom) then use the submersible pump to fill the camper from the bucket. I adapted the pump to have a male garden hose fitting so we can use it with our current fill hose. In the mountains, you could also fill the bucket in a clean stream, add bleach to sanitize the water and let it sit for an hour before pumping it into the tank.

We average between 2 and 2 1/2 gallons of water per day for two people including drinking, dishes, and daily "sink baths" (otherwise known as "bird baths, lightly soaped water in the sink and scrubbing with a wash cloth). Half our daily water consumption is drinking. We squeeze water out of a dish soap bottle to create a small stream of water for rinsing soap off from dishes when washing. I shave with AA battery travel razors. We routinely travel 70 consecutive days without more than a water spigot/hand pump and a pit toilet. One week without restocking water is not hard.

I'm about the same as Iowahiker: 5 quarts a day for me and the beagle. I carry 15 one gallon jugs (no tank).

All my cooking is one pan, I only use a plate for breakfast (bacon and eggs if cooking outdoors, hot cereal if in); all other meals are plateless or eat out of the pan. I make extensive use of a beagle 'prewash', dishwashing is 1 cup of soapy water and 1 cup of rinse. If I am in water conservation mode (and sometimes when I'm not) I will spray dishes down with a water/vinegar mix after the beagle is done, then wipe dry. -- jim

doc said:
What are other people doing to filling up while on a trip?
I try to avoid it, by taking extra water.

We use the original factory 12 gal tank for non drinking use and carry up to 75 litres of drinking water (~20 gal). The extra capacity can also be used for non drinking use if we can spare it. We have room at the sides of the camper deck for storage but always travel with two jugs with spigots inside on the camper floor.

Yup, seems a lot but I consider having water on hand to be very important, even though in BC it's not that hard to find water. Actually it's only 5 litres of drinking water per day between two people for 15 days, prob the min desired. And I guess we're fussy about water, being spoiled at home.

For refilling the non drinking water tank, if needed, we'll replenish at a park/campground or a creek if way out in the bush. So we carry a water hose, bucket and funnel. Yes, sometimes It can be a hassle.

But hate to buy water.

Lots of good ideas to conserve water. I was thinking of this after it read the water usage.
This is what I came up with to help.
I thought that you could use a gallon container (water or milk jug) to reuse the dish washing water. Or saving the rinse water to be the next soapy that could save 50% of dish washing water usage maybe.
I watched my sister-in-law wash the dishes in her class A. Cleaned as much from plates and such as possible. All leftovers put away first. A little soapy water in the bottom of the sink, all dishes washed, and stacked on stove. When completed drain sink and rinsed dishes using her spray hose. I know we don't have same setup, but she really has got it down. Doesn't even dry them stacks em on these thick pads for the night.

Russ

Everybody's situation is different, of course. We often camp with friends and our '09 Hawk becomes the mother ship for dish washing because of our 20 gallons water tank, the hot water heater, and the external shower that I adapted with a trigger sprayer for rinsing and filling dish pans. I usually carry at least two 10 liter (2.5 gallon) Scepter military water containers <http://civ.sceptermilitary.com/water_containers/>. They are much easier to carry and lift than the 5 gallon versions. I bought a 18" piece of clear hose that fits inside the water can spout so I can just lift the can up, balance it on my head, and let the water run into my water fill on the side of the Hawk. For drinking water, tea and coffee we use several aluminum or stainless water bottles in several sizes including growler-size (64 oz.) that we keep handy in case we run across a brewery in our travels.

We like a Sea to Summit folding sink. https://www.rei.com/product/847590/sea-to-summit-ultra-sil-kitchen-sink-10-liter
Although, ours may be the 5 liter version. Can't remember and sink is in cabinet with lid and camper top is down covering it.

Put hot sudsy water in the folding sink and wash dishes. Put sudsy dishes in camper sink and rinse using hot water in gooseneck pitcher that allows more precise pouring to reduce water usage.

Paul

esimmers said:
I usually carry at least two 10 liter (2.5 gallon) Scepter military water containers <http://civ.sceptermilitary.com/water_containers/>. They are much easier to carry and lift than the 5 gallon versions.
Have to agree on the 20Ls and they can be heavy for controlled pouring. Great product tho.

... I bought a 18" piece of clear hose that fits inside the water can spout so I can just lift the can up, balance it on my head, and let the water run into my water fill on the side of the Hawk.....
Good idea - not sure about my head technique but that's ok :). I use our folding step stool for elevation.

Wow, a lot of great insights here. Thank you everyone. I've concluded we use way too much water!

Our water system has evolved from our days camping on the beach in Baja in the ‘70’s, where fresh water was more precious than beer. Although at the beach we had sea water for cleaning (people and dishes) purposes, we learned some lessons in water management. Our system has evolved a bit. We carry 5 gallons of water in a jerry can (Front Runner with a spigot) strapped to locally made rack bolted to the rear bumper. We stow our yuppie drinking water in the space used for a porta-potty in a Hawk shell (does anyone really poop in these things?) to the left of the door (3 gallons). The trick is conserving dish washing water, carefully sloshing soapy and rinsing water so none is wasted. Use leftover soapy water for your pits and crotch.

Interesting topic!

The first couple of times we used our Hallmark we ended up using way more after than we should have and once ran out of water. We then started changing some of our procedures and did the following:

1. We wipe down all of our dinnerware with paper towels prior to washing. This significantly cuts down on cleaning water.

2. We take "navy showers" and even limit it to every three days or so. We use baby wipes in between.

Back
Top Bottom