Water system issue

jeffh

I filled the water tank, turned on the pump (it seems to be running normally) , but the system won’t pressurize. Opening the tap does not yield any escaping air for hot or cold, so my guess is there’s a stuck check valve or blockage somewhere. I sure would be grateful for some insight. BTW this is in a 4-year old Hawk. Thanks in advance!

Are the valves in the correct position? Sometimes I find I have to "prime" the pump. Is there water in the little inline filter attached to the pump?

Yeah, sounds like it's not priming. Don't run the pump too long at one go lest it overheat. This happened to me semi-regularly years ago and just kept trying until it worked.

You might try filling your water tank to the absolute max so the pump doesn't have to work as hard.

Also, always open the tap before you turn on the pump power switch.

Are the valves in the correct position? Sometimes I find I have to "prime" the pump. Is there water in the little inline filter attached to the pump?
Yes, valves are in correct positions and water is present in the filter attached to the pump. Tell me more about priming the pump, please.

Yeah, sounds like it's not priming. Don't run the pump too long at one go lest it overheat. This happened to me semi-regularly years ago and just kept trying until it worked.

You might try filling your water tank to the absolute max so the pump doesn't have to work as hard.

Also, always open the tap before you turn on the pump power switch.
The tank is full to capacity. Tried with the tap open and closed before turning the pump on and nothing changes. Would hooking the hose up to the city water connection help blow open anything that is blocked?

If it’s a pump output check valve stuck in the closed position the city water pressure would be forcing it closed rather than pushing it to open.

Did you blow out your system with high pressure air connected to the city water connection last Fall?

FYI, this is what the pump internal check valve looks like.

Is the drain back to the tank valve open?

With the pump on, is there water coming out of the faucet?

Water heater valve open and still have air in the tank?

Have you opened every exit opening and allowed the pump to push out any air remaining? Outdoor shower hot and cold?

*2 on what Ye Ol' Wanderer said. Put it on shore water with faucets on until all the hoses are filled, and the water heater tank is filled. Takes much less time and requires no battery power.

As pvstoy said remember to open the outer sink drain and remove the sink stopper while filling on city water.

If it’s a pump output check valve stuck in the closed position the city water pressure would be forcing it closed rather than pushing it to open.

Did you blow out your system with high pressure air connected to the city water connection last Fall?
Nope, just opened the drain valve at the back, parked on a hill, and let gravity do her thing. I also ran the pump to force water out of the lines so nothing froze. I also removed the water strainer to keep it from cracking.

Have you opened every exit opening and allowed the pump to push out any air remaining? Outdoor shower hot and cold?
In order, and thank you for asking these questions, they’re super helpful!

Which one is the drain back the tank valve? I only have two valves I can open/ close - the one to the tank is open and the drain valve is closed.

Nope, no water or air come out of the faucet with the pump on.

Valve is open, but I’m not sure if the hot water tank is filling as no water/air releases when I turn the tap to hot with the pump running. No water or air release with the cold tap turned on and pump running, either.

To my knowledge, and please correct me if I’m wrong, the only way for water to exit the system is through the tap, shower, drain, or water heater drain plug. I have tried the tap (see results above) and the drain (which released a small bit of air the first time but not since). I have not tried the shower, though. I will do that tomorrow morning and report back. Should I even mess with the water heater drain plug?

*2 on what Ye Ol' Wanderer said. Put it on shore water with faucets on until all the hoses are filled, and the water heater tank is filled. Takes much less time and requires no battery power.

As pvstoy said remember to open the outer sink drain and remove the sink stopper while filling on city water.
I’ll give it a try!

In order, and thank you for asking these questions, they’re super helpful!

Which one is the drain back the tank valve? I only have two valves I can open/ close - the one to the tank is open and the drain valve is closed.

Nope, no water or air come out of the faucet with the pump on.

Valve is open, but I’m not sure if the hot water tank is filling as no water/air releases when I turn the tap to hot with the pump running. No water or air release with the cold tap turned on and pump running, either.

To my knowledge, and please correct me if I’m wrong, the only way for water to exit the system is through the tap, shower, drain, or water heater drain plug. I have tried the tap (see results above) and the drain (which released a small bit of air the first time but not since). I have not tried the shower, though. I will do that tomorrow morning and report back. Should I even mess with the water heater drain plug?
Thanks for more information. Your Hawk is a 2020? I'm not a clue how it is plumbed and what valves are install. My comment about water exiting was misunderstood. Open each sink faucet, shower faucet so air can escape. That was not been taken as a drain.

You mentioned that water is filled the pump filter but does not seem to be exiting the outlet of the pump.

So you could try putting a hose on the city connection, keep it 45 psi or less, and go ahead and fill water heater and purge all water lines of air.

If everything works as normal as you remember and you do not find any water leaks. Go ahead and turn off city water and try the pump again.

Normally there might be two valves you turn. One allows water into the water heater. And the other valve allows water from the water heater to gravity flow back into the water tank. Make sure these are set correctly.

If the pump still does not allow water to flow out with a faucet open, then expect there might be damage to the pump. One possible damage is if there was water in the pump and it froze.

You can remove the pump filter and see if there is a blockage on the inlet of the pump. Clean bowl and filter.

You could throw a pan and a bunch of towels under the pump and with a tool remove the output hose from the pump and run it. Nothing comes out then see above post about check valve in the pump.

At least you will be going about it and eliminating possible causes along the way.

Thanks for more information. Your Hawk is a 2020? I'm not a clue how it is plumbed and what valves are install. My comment about water exiting was misunderstood. Open each sink faucet, shower faucet so air can escape. That was not been taken as a drain.

You mentioned that water is filled the pump filter but does not seem to be exiting the outlet of the pump.

So you could try putting a hose on the city connection, keep it 45 psi or less, and go ahead and fill water heater and purge all water lines of air.

If everything works as normal as you remember and you do not find any water leaks. Go ahead and turn off city water and try the pump again.

Normally there might be two valves you turn. One allows water into the water heater. And the other valve allows water from the water heater to gravity flow back into the water tank. Make sure these are set correctly.

If the pump still does not allow water to flow out with a faucet open, then expect there might be damage to the pump. One possible damage is if there was water in the pump and it froze.

You can remove the pump filter and see if there is a blockage on the inlet of the pump. Clean bowl and filter.

You could throw a pan and a bunch of towels under the pump and with a tool remove the output hose from the pump and run it. Nothing comes out then see above post about check valve in the pump.

At least you will be going about it and eliminating possible causes along the way.
Okay! I’ll try it and see what happens. Thanks for taking the time to write all of that down.

Well, folks, I followed the group’s instructions: hooked up to city water opened the tap and shower. Here’s what I found. Sure looks like a cracked manifold to me - can anyone confirm? If so, what type of manifold is it so I can replace it?

1717788388162.png

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom