Water Tank Leaks

P.H.

Howdy all,

I'm in the process of rebuilding the left side of my 84 grandby. I had all the functional components back in and it was time to test the water tank, pump, faucet, sink and drainage for leaks.

I discovered the tank was leaking. I removed it and saw several hair line cracks, maybe stress cracks, around the drain where the petcock screws in.

I had tested the tank for leaks a few weeks ago and it was leak free for several days.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix these types of cracks, or are the older tanks still available?

Thanks.

P.S. This is my first topic, and can't figure out how attatch pics

If there are no new tanks and there is no saving the tank, and it sounds like it may be beyond help with hairline cracks, there are several companies that will build custom tanks: you tell them what you want with drawings and measurements and they build it. I don't have the names offhand, but a Google search should turn up several. There is also the possibility that a salvage yard would have a tank.

Look on the bright side: At least you found it now before your put everything back together and went camping.

Welcome to the board.

Thanks for the responses and the welcome,

I started looking into a plastic welder kit.

They cost about 160 bucks and have received good reviews.

I think you're right Mark, during this project I also added a frig that required some new copper tubing and was wondering why the new copper was so much softer than the old.

After some research I found copper also becomes more brittle with age. My past experiance with plastic becoming brittle was with plastic being left in the sun.

I am glad I found the leak now because what started this whole project was rotten wood due to water damgage. So I'm looking for a new tank, so far they seem reasonably priced.

Any ideas of where to look?

Thanks

I think you're right Mark, during this project I also added a frig that required some new copper tubing and was wondering why the new copper was so much softer than the old.

After some research I found copper also becomes more brittle with age. My past experiance with plastic becoming brittle was with plastic being left in the sun.

I am glad I found the leak now because what started this whole project was rotten wood due to water damgage. So I'm looking for a new tank, so far they seem reasonably priced.

Any ideas of where to look?

Thanks

Try Here.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-pumps-water/plastic-water-tank.htm?source=froogle_p

Thanks for the link, I found a ten gallon tank that is pretty close to what I had for about 50 bucks,

Thank you everyone for the help.

Happy trails

Back
Top Bottom