Water Tank Mangement

Santiam Camper

Advanced Member
I have a 2017 FWC Fleet and I have some questions about managing the water tank during the camping season when camping in areas with out water connections available. I don't have the hot water option installed.

* Do you always keep it topped up to the full 20 gallon capacity?

* Do you use water from the tap or do you fill from purchased water bottles?

* During the camping season do you empty it after each trip or do you just add water as needed to refill?

* How often during the season do you drain and sanitize the tank?

Thanks for replying.

Mike

I fill according to the trip length. We use a camping water softener and white camping hoses, can be purchased at Camping world. On an 18 day trip to Colorado, we had approximately 1/4 of a tank left. When we have water available we use a pressure gauge and small water filter also purchased at Camping World. We use the tank gauge and check it every couple of days. Depending how many days between trips will help determine whether we empty the tank. If we are going to remove the camper, we empty the tank so we don't have a weight issue and/or have the wood bottom pull loose from the frame. We winterize and in the spring flush out the tank and lines and then add 1/4 cup of bleach to sanitize, flush out and fill.

Longhorn,

Do you save and reuse the antifreeze? When do you add the bleach? Before flushing the Antifreeze? In the fall?

Vic

* Rarely, depends on trip length. We carry separate "drinking water" to increase capacity. Sometimes I'll partially drain just before last day going home to reduce wt - and hope I don't meet someone who needs it

* tap, using potable water hose that we carry

* yes

* usually only end of season

we also carry a largish funnel to assist refilling using a bucket or jug.

Vic, since there can be 2 gallons of water left in the water tank, it becomes diluted. I might get a couple gallons and reuse them with brand new antifreeze. I add a lot of water and run it through the lines. I will keep adding water to get the antifreeze out. I will then add the bleach and run the bleach water through the line
Then one final flush and fill the tank. 20-30 minutes tops

What process do people use to flush the tank? When I drain I use the valve on the outside but it takes a really long time. Is this the flush procedure? Thanks for any advice.

When in Baja we fill the tank with purified water from jugs we purchase, actually we go to a place where they sell the water and refill the one jug we carry with us. I use two 10 foot white hoses, a clear plastic nozzle and a 12 V water pump. When filling from a hookup at a campground we use the pressure reducer and a water filter, the hoses and the nozzle.

I usually empty it after every trip and we sanitize it once a year. My wife doesn't like me using antifreeze so I work very hard to be sure as much water is out of the system as possible so it doesn't freeze. So far, so good.

Outnabout, since the tank holds water, I add about 5 gallons and then empty at the rear of the camper. I do this a couple of times, then turn the pump on and open the cold and then the hot faucet to run things through the lines, pump, hot water tank, and do the same for the outside to get remaining antifreeze out. After I do that I will add 5 gal +/- and 1/4 cup of bleach added to a jug of water and then poured into the tank. I run water through the lines, pump, hot water tank, and outside shower. Hope that helps. As I said maybe 30 minutes to get everything flushed and tank filled. jd

I have had two fc and never use antifreeze . They both had it when I bought them. End of season I empty the hot water tank and empty tank as much as I can . Live in New England . Never had issues. And clean tank with vinagar . I use pure water filter on faucet . Easy way

I can't see where, if most of the water is drained from tank, heater and hoses, where anything else needs to be done as far as "winterizing". Seems as though the residual frozen water will slightly expand being that there is plenty of space for it to do so .... without damage.

longhorn1 said:
Outnabout, since the tank holds water, I add about 5 gallons and then empty at the rear of the camper. I do this a couple of times, then turn the pump on and open the cold and then the hot faucet to run things through the lines, pump, hot water tank, and do the same for the outside to get remaining antifreeze out. After I do that I will add 5 gal +/- and 1/4 cup of bleach added to a jug of water and then poured into the tank. I run water through the lines, pump, hot water tank, and outside shower. Hope that helps. As I said maybe 30 minutes to get everything flushed and tank filled. jd
Thanks longhorn1. You have confirmed what I was planning thanks.

Same as Craig333 said. I consider my FWC part of my emergency preparedness kit (earthquakes, etc.) so I refill upon returning from each use. Since I live where it doesn't stay freezing for a day at a time, no winterizing to consider.

Outnabout said:
What process do people use to flush the tank? When I drain I use the valve on the outside but it takes a really long time. Is this the flush procedure? Thanks for any advice.
Try two things to speed draining. First, open the sink water faucet (s). Second, turn the drain petcock 90 degrees to the outlet tube. I made the mistake of opening it past 90 until it dawned on me that the cutout is perpendicular to the petcock handle.

It still takes quite awhile to drain but it's much faster.

I have a friend that carries an extra water pump that matches his on-board water pump. He rigged up inlet/outlet hoses and battery clips to transfer water from jugs to camper tank. Then you have a spare pump in case your on-board pump croaks and a transfer pump.

I'm going to get/fab the same set-up.

abqbw said:
I have a friend that carries an extra water pump that matches his on-board water pump. He rigged up inlet/outlet hoses and battery clips to transfer water from jugs to camper tank. Then you have a spare pump in case your on-board pump croaks and a transfer pump.

I'm going to get/fab the same set-up.
Would love to see photos of that great idea!

Mike,
Here is my "2 cents" on water maintenance (only cold water in our 2016 Fleet)...(1) I fill up at home unless I know of a good water source near my camping destination...prefer to run "empty" to that water source(hey @ 7.5 lbs/gal x 20 gals or 150 lbs I try not to travel with); (2) I have added a 1 foot length of flexible rubber tubing (fastened to spigot with hose clamp) to the outside spigot--very handy addition... this allows easy, flexible filling of a portable container at camp to fit under my rear bumper minimizing waste...when we are ready to head home, I open the spigot and let it drain the last hour or so at camp and as I drive...leave spigot open when parked until the next camping refill...when we return home, also open sink faucet to drain any water remaining in the pipes/pump... do not winterize beyond that...no extended below freezing winter weather here in the Pdx area...
Brad

Hello fellow campers .

My 07 Hawk has two water filler inlets side by side one for water tank and one for hot water tank .

Question ,

Do both tanks add up to 20 gallon total capacity or do they each have a separate capacity ? And when Im filling the hot water tank will it fill and then spill over into water tank?

TIA

Hello fellow campers .

My 07 Hawk has two water filler inlets side by side one for water tank and one for hot water tank .

Question ,

Do both tanks add up to 20 gallon total capacity or do they each have a separate capacity ? And when Im filling the hot water tank will it fill and then spill over into water tank?

TIA

================================================================================

Not certain about the "two water filler inlets side by side" on your '07 but our '16 Hawk has an outside storage tank filling inlet and a hose attachment inlet for receiving water from a hose at home or in a campground...the hose inlet does not fill the storage tank but does fill the hot water tank and provide water to the sink without running the on-board water pump; use a pressure regulator on the hose source of water to protect against over pressurizing the FWC plumbing .

Hot water tank on our Hawk is filled by running the on-board pump with the hot water sink outlet open to pump 5 gallons [hot water tank holds 6 gallons but one gallon always remains in hot water tank] into the hot water tank to fill it...I then replace the 5 gallons in the main storage tank from the outside inlet and then I am carrying 26 gallons of water...25 gallons are retrievable...

But hey, I could be wrong! :D

Phil

Here's the official 2017 FWC manual: https://fourwheelcampers.com/New_2017_Four_Wheel_Popup_Campers_Owners_Manual.pdf

For sanitation, page 45 recommends 1 or 2 tablespoons of bleach (usually no more), added to a full tank of water. Leave at least 4 hours. Drain tank. Fill with water. Drain tank. Fill tank & repeat if there's still a bleach taste.

They didn't mention how often to sanitize, but Josh at Rocky Mt. FWC told me he just does this every spring.

Page 51 gives winterizing info, and it's more complicated with a hot water heater (which I don't have). I asked Denny of Jackson Hole FWC about putting one in, & he told me, "You've gotta go to FWC in California for that. I know how to do it, but my hands would get bloody and banged up and I'd get angry." I respect his candor.

Back
Top Bottom