Water Tank Vent Question

NWCamper

Advanced Member
Finally getting around to installing a water tank in my Grandby Shell build. Not sure were to route the vent line for the tank? Can anyone tell me how FWC does it or have any ideas. Thanks. Does it vent outside the camper through some sort of fitting?

Our old FWC Ranger II model has one of these on the outside - Tank Fill & Vent
The one in the middle has a simple fill and small vent hole below. The fill tube and vent tube from the water tank are both routed to here. I have not done business with the parts company I linked to. I was only looking for a picture for you.

The tank on our Grandby vents through the fill port on the side. Behind the door is the fill port and the vent plus the connection for pressurized city water. I'm not sure location is critical. Obviously the vent has to be higher than the tank and I would make sure its open to the outside just in case the water gets sloshing around. Also, its liable to burp as the tank gets filled. The vent should also be protected so rain and mud from the road don't find their way into the tank. Probably the way FWC (and most other RV manufacturers)does it makes the most sense.

A cute water system feature I like on our Grandby is the tank drain tap. FWC put it behind the door at the back of the camper. This makes it easy to use to fill up water bottles and give the dog a drink without having to raise the roof. Good idea FWC.

Ive decided at this point to go with the fill port inside the camper directly to the tank thus avoiding the need to cut a hole through the side. I figure if that gets old, I can always add the external fill. Im thinking of running the 3/8 vent line through the exterior wall of the floor pack which would vent to the truck bed. Seems like I would need some sort of fitting ideally.

I am definetely installing the drain valve with the spigot for exterior water use.

I have a feeling I'm going to be confronting the same issue of not wanting to cut the side of the camper for a fill port/vent hose. I was wondering why you couldn't just have the vent line just stay inside the camper some place where it will stay clean and is obviously higher than the tank so it doesn't slosh out?s Why does it have to go to the outside of the camper? Also, having the drain line become a spigot is brilliant.

The issue might be when you are filling the tank. If the vent is below the filler opening, water will start to come out the vent (presumably inside the camper) before it 'seems' full from the outside. Also, if the hose you are using to fill the tank is relatively snug in the filler hole, you could slightly pressurize the tank which will cause a very nice little water fountain out the vent inside the camper.

Just a couple of concerns.

I have a feeling I'm going to be confronting the same issue of not wanting to cut the side of the camper for a fill port/vent hose. I was wondering why you couldn't just have the vent line just stay inside the camper some place where it will stay clean and is obviously higher than the tank so it doesn't slosh out?s Why does it have to go to the outside of the camper? Also, having the drain line become a spigot is brilliant.

I suppose you could simply vent to the inside but I figure in the event I am using the camper offroad, any severe sloshing around would simply leave the camper through the vent to the outside. Plus I really don't want to see the vent inside the camper and in order for it to function in my rig, it would have to be mounted above the cabinet/seat that houses the tank. I don't mind drilling a 3/8" hole through the plywood floor pack. I just don't want to mess with cutting through the aluminum siding if I can avoid it.

<snip> but I figure in the event I am using the camper offroad, any severe sloshing around would simply leave the camper through the vent to the outside. Plus I really don't want to see the vent inside the camper and in order for it to function in my rig, it would have to be mounted above the cabinet/seat that houses the tank. <snip>

I believe my vent tube is 3/8" ID. That is a very small volume, therefore water from a large container can move quite a distance up it. When my tank is filled, I am always seeing water coming out the outside vent - visible in the driver's side rear view. This is especially true when driving mountain passes and on any kind of rougher backcountry road. I would not vent inside the camper.

Back
Top Bottom