Wave 3 $179

Just picked one up from ebay for $120. Used but since they don't haven't any moving parts shouldn't be a problem. Will be a supplemental/backup heater. Still don't like the idea of running it while I'm sleeping. Unless of course the main heater won't run :(

$179 is the best that I have heard of for a new one. Great find! Used is a pretty safe bet too though so long as the connections are buggered up.
Home Skillet

Seems like one potential risk with a used catalytic heater is that the catalyst could be "poisoned" -- at least partially. That's how they go bad with age. I'm not an expert, so I don't know if there's any way to check the "health" of the catalyst without running it and seeing if it gets as hot as it should.

I hadn't hear of that. But it does make me glad its supplemental and not my main source of heat.

Seems like one potential risk with a used catalytic heater is that the catalyst could be "poisoned" -- at least partially. That's how they go bad with age. I'm not an expert, so I don't know if there's any way to check the "health" of the catalyst without running it and seeing if it gets as hot as it should.

The paperwork that comes with the Wave heaters says that dust and dirt can be the death of these heaters over time so you should ALWAYS keep it covered. The covers they sell fit snug and seem to work well.

The paperwork that comes with the Wave heaters says that dust and dirt can be the death of these heaters over time so you should ALWAYS keep it covered. The covers they sell fit snug and seem to work well.

Grease in the air (like, from cooking) and contaminants in the propane also are catalyst poisons. Not much can be done about the propane, since we can only assume that we're buying good propane.
The heater literature specifically mentions "alkaline" dust -- so dust-chemistry matters, apparently. I guess that means I have to be extra careful when camping on the Alvord or Black Rock playas -- alkaline dust galore.

I bought the Wave dust-cover at the same time I bought the heater. They make models that fit when used free-standing (as I do) as well as different models that fit for cabinet-mounts.

Back
Top Bottom